Scania fault

Just asking to see if anyone who is more mechanically minded than me can guess what this may be…

I drive a 63 plate Scania R440 and for the last week every day once I get up to motorway speed the engine management light comes on and I get 2 warnings. One says engine emissions high, and the other says reduced power in 36 hours. Once the engine is switched off it resets and doesn’t reappear until back up to speed. This has been defected with the workshop over the weekend…as it was last weekend and it’s still doing it. So either they’ve not bothered looking or they have and decided it’s nothing…

The bit I’m asking about really though is something new that happened this morning. I’m not sure if it’s related or a separate issue but that’s why I’ve given the info above. So the truck is a 3 pedal semi automatic but I rarely have to manually change gear. I just let it change itself and this is normally fine other than extremes. This morning when I set off the above warnings were not displaying but it would not change gear automatically. So I went up through the gears manually but then when I took my foot off the gas it instantly dropped down 2 gears causing it to slow quickly, and then dropped down another 2 and so on. Also it felt down a bit on power almost like a brake was pulling it back, and when on the motorway the cruise control would not engage. After about 10 mins it just went back to normal. But all this time the emissions and power warning were not showing.

Any ideas?

Does it use adblue? If so it sounds like an adblue issue

when i was coach driving i use to get the same message pop up on the volvos all the time.

apparently it was caused because of the ad blue. its blocked up and not putting the right amount in to keep emissions lower.

Yes it uses ad blu.

Would that also explain the strange behaviour with transmission this morning as well as the warnings ?

I would of thought they are two separate issues. First is a sensor issue the gearbox could be Ecu related if no warnings.

My 13 reg 480 did exactly the same thing for approx 18 months,(threatening to down rate, but never carrying out the threat) then one day the countdown from 36 hrs started.
A new NOX sensor seems to have cured it.

Re. the transmission issue.
Does the truck have a retarder, and if so, is it possible that you inadvertently drove with it engaged?
The retarder should disengage when you have the accelerator depressed, but even a minor ABS/EBS fault will prevent that from operating and you need to disengage the retarder manually.

Firstly scanias are pants :grimacing:
Secondly so many systems are linked to each other if one goes down it can effect many others, so without getting the codes read everyone is just guessing.
Did I mention thay are the pants!

Trickydick:
Firstly scanias are pants :grimacing:
Secondly so many systems are linked to each other if one goes down it can effect many others, so without getting the codes read everyone is just guessing.
Did I mention thay are the pants!

+1 why do people rave about Scania??

toonsy:
Does it use adblue? If so it sounds like an adblue issue

Does sound like an adblue issue,we were always told the lack of adblue would cause lack of power,not sure how easy it is to do not seeing a scania but would it be possible to flush the adblue system out to see if there’s a blockage.

Have similar problem on a 60 R440. Warning comes up high emissions and then limits power. I’m guessing it cuts power by around 25-30%.
She is only pulling 26T so it’s no real hardship just have to use more gears (3+3 +splitter)
And slightly higher revs.
If the ignition is switched off overnight it often clears and all is well.
It does not use ad blue.
Fitters are scratching their heads.

It could be because of the weather…the roads kick up a lot of ice…maybe some has got into the adblue system/filter and blocked it…not sure if that possible…just guessing…but i cant see the ad blue system having an effect on the gear changes…need to go to a real workshop :smiley: and let scania plug it into a laptop and see where the fault,s lie. btw, a Daf or German machines doesnt get these problems…only Scania…ha ha

DPF blocked take the piece of crap off and run a steam cleaner through it.
Absolute piece of garbage as is the truck.

As is well known Scanias don’t break down so this entire thread must be a troll!!

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk

Re the cruise and dropping gears issue - sound like the foot switch for the exhaust brake is stuck on.

kevin0410:
Re the cruise and dropping gears issue - sound like the foot switch for the exhaust brake is stuck on.

Yep spot on. Been in workshop and they have changed the switch. Problem solved.

Rowley010:

kevin0410:

Yep spot on. Been in workshop and they have changed the switch. Problem solved.

I have to wd40 mine to stop it sticking .I think the mat makes things worse making the water run in to it

Munchkin:
As is well known Scanias don’t break down so this entire thread must be a troll!!

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk

Nine against the fence last bight all awaitunfg dealer attention :grimacing:

Exhaust brake on mine doesn’t seem to work at all using the button, but come on and off in conjunction with the retarder.

It must be catching, like a virus…
My R450 developed an ‘Adblue metering Malfunction’ plus ‘Engine Malfunction’ yesterday, 9 hours on the clock to limp mode. It went into Scania last night and I got it back this morning, all done with a software upgrade for the suspension. 2 kilometeres down the M11 this morning after picking it up and both warnings were back. It gone in again tonight with just an hour left on the countdown !

Had a Pre DPF model 63 plate R620 with same issues and it was a NOX sensor