Scania - High emissions reduced engine power

Whats the likely cause of the above fault?

Runs fine on cruise control but very sluggish when setting off from stand still.

Quick job in Scania or not?

Cheers

My 57plate R500 was a great truck except for ad-blue problems like you’re experiencing, presuming that it is an SCR (ad-blue) equipped truck, you don’t say in your post.

Believe all Euro 5 equipped trucks as part of the Engine Management System have software which reduces the available engine output power/torque in situations where exhaust emissions are high… This can occur in various situations e.g if there is a fault in the ad-blue system in the after treatment of exhaust gases.

When this happened on my truck it was a noticeable reduction in performance especially when fully freighted, also if you call up the turbo boost gauge in the menu/display you’ll see the boost pressure doesn’t pick up the same when pulling from low engine rpm… It usually meant a visit to the local Scania dealer to have the system checked and the engine management system reset, sure one of the guys in our scania garage said you lose as much as 30% of the engines performance when it goes into reduced power state!

It was a real pain, in the 2 years I drove it, it went in with this problem on more than half dozen occasions, sure it was to get the ad-blue injector valve cleaned out as it kept clogging up…

Its a 10 plate R400 with no Adblue so you can imagine any reduction in power in a 400 you might aswell get out and pull it with a rope.

Only 4 hours to go :slight_smile:

sticklicence:

Runs fine on cruise control but very sluggish when setting off from stand still.

Cheers

is this the same as our g-400,one of ours said its turbo lag, but its not, you have to take foot completely off clutch pedal, its to do with clutch life, at first i was slightly resting mine on pedal and it felt as if nothing was there[power], lift foot of pedal and it goes as normal,try it and youll see what im on about

sticklicence:

Cheers

reading the title again-reduced power,high emmisions-only seen that on our 380,s[use ad-blue], never seen it on 400[non ad-blue],sas above it was because drivers dont fill the ad-blue tank up, let it run nigh on out, but even when it came up on dash i never noticed any difference in power, but may of been they were light loads so wouldnt show up a much,

ady1:

sticklicence:

Cheers

is this the same as our g-400,one of ours said its turbo lag, but its not, you have to take foot completely off clutch pedal, its to do with clutch life, at first i was slightly resting mine on pedal and it felt as if nothing was there[power], lift foot of pedal and it goes as normal,try it and youll see what im on about

Ady please tell me your joking??

What a coincidence this thread is here as this has happened to me since the start of the week. I’ve noticed I haven’t used hardly any ad blue either. I got the yellow engine warning light on, and then a reduce engine power exhaust and ad blue sign. Does my nut in, takes about 4 miles to hit 50mph when empty. I’m in a stralis tho so wouldn’t expect anything less :angry:

Sorted the reduced power problem just turned engine off and started up again, aint had a problem since but still do have emissions warning light on■■?

Spoke too soon

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1297805189.840130.jpg

Not sure if this’ll help or not, but I was driving a 420 Scanny here in Oz, no ad blue. Nearly every time I went over a railway bridge with high voltage (25 KV) wires under it, it lost power and smoked like crazy. I’d pull over, stop the the engine and turn the key off for about 30 sec’s and then it was fine again.

Glad it was only the one bridge.

streaky:

ady1:

sticklicence:

Cheers

Ady please tell me your joking??

I take it you was having a laugh then ADY, but joking apart this is why the rest of us have been saddled with god awfull auto gearboxes now. Saves on burnt out clutches for the operator but the driver is the one who has to sit a roundabouts waiting for a gap big enough for the bloody thing to get going! :imp: