Volvo fh 2010 high emissions!

Hi, today I had a warning came out on the dashboard of my truck. It says - High emissions! Time to derate 37:47h. Small Yellow engine blink on the bottom left corner.
I emptied the tank of adblue, switched the electric off for 10 mins, and nothing changed. Will I have to go Volvo with this issue? What could have caused it? What can it be? Thanks, ,

Can I ask what the theory is behind emptying the ad blue and switching off for ten mins?

I’d say it’s the nox sensor.

Mattwoodtransport:
Can I ask what the theory is behind emptying the ad blue and switching off for ten mins?

Hi, I bought a 1000lts adblue tank last week and just started using it ( filled it up on saturday last week - the truck adblue tank was almost empty that day). The problem appeared yesterday evening so the truck was driving 4 days on that adblue before the message appeared. I wanted to start with cheaper option first before I drop it to Volvo for costly repairs.

I’ve just had a similar problem, they were talking about ad blue injector as first place to look as that’s where the fault code showed, but then it could mask other problems such as pump and (I got lost at this point :confused: ) just got the truck back and asked what they did and they said it seemed to have a bad connection at one of the pins in a plug, so they fixed that and we’ll see. My truck is a 2007 model and it doesn’t derate but just shows the warning.

Of course it might be a sensor and not the ad blue, we did look at that as well and it worked for a while, but maybe because they would have cleared the fault and put the light out and being an electrical fault it might have been intermittent, but I believe the light will stay on for a period of time until after the fault has occurred unless it is reset.

Do you know how to read the fault codes from the dash? If you can tell me I can look it up for you.

Nox sensor I’d say also, had 5 on mine in 4 years. On mine, when the engine management light was flashing then it was counting down from 36hrs. When it stopped flashing then the sensor had started working again. Light would go out after about 6 hours of being on constant, engine managment light starts flashing again then it starts counting down from 36hrs again. Kept mine going and got the sensors changed on service.

Harry Monk:

Hi, Had to drop the lorry first thing on saturday as I need the truck on monday. Yes, it is a nox sensor. Does anyone know if the reason could be adblue? It is just really strange to me that as soon as I bought the 1000lt tank of adblue and put it in my truck- the nox senson went off. Why it did not happen earlier? Volvo said that their computer does not say anything about adblue,

warcake:
Do you know how to read the fault codes from the dash? If you can tell me I can look it up for you.

Thanks for reply but I had to drop the lorry to Volvo to get it done asap so it will be ready on monday.

andrewv8:
Nox sensor I’d say also, had 5 on mine in 4 years. On mine, when the engine management light was flashing then it was counting down from 36hrs. When it stopped flashing then the sensor had started working again. Light would go out after about 6 hours of being on constant, engine managment light starts flashing again then it starts counting down from 36hrs again. Kept mine going and got the sensors changed on service.

Hi, Did you buy brand new nox sensor from dealership or tried to source your own? Which one would you recommend? Thanks,

syva:

andrewv8:

Hi, Did you buy brand new nox sensor from dealership or tried to source your own? Which one would you recommend? Thanks,

Truck was on R&M contract mate.

syva:

Harry Monk:

Hi, Had to drop the lorry first thing on saturday as I need the truck on monday. Yes, it is a nox sensor. Does anyone know if the reason could be adblue? It is just really strange to me that as soon as I bought the 1000lt tank of adblue and put it in my truck- the nox senson went off. Why it did not happen earlier? Volvo said that their computer does not say anything about adblue,

Almost certainly just coincidence. Five years/600,000km is about the expected life from a nox sensor. It’s a bit like having your clutch fail just after filling up with diesel and wondering if there was something wrong with the diesel.

Harry Monk:

syva:

Harry Monk:

Almost certainly just coincidence. Five years/600,000km is about the expected life from a nox sensor. It’s a bit like having your clutch fail just after filling up with diesel and wondering if there was something wrong with the diesel.

ive never known a nox sensor last more than 15 month on a volvo or man utter rubbish, the D11 volvo engine is badly designed,starter motor gets all the crap,inlet manifolds crack at the front,belt tensioners fail every 18 month,timing case leaks,piston cooling sol fails etc etc .

It’s rare for me to have to change a nox sensor. I’ve had one in eight years over five Volvo tractor units.

coiler:
It’s rare for me to have to change a nox sensor. I’ve had one in eight years over five Volvo tractor units.

I had to replace mine last year at about 850,000km but that was the first time it had been done. I’m told that a second-hand nox sensor from a scrapped 17 tonner is a good way to go for a budget fix as the nox sensor is the same but suffers less degradation on lighter vehicles, not sure how true this is.