Reduced hours clarification

I wonder if someone could clarify the following.

With the reduced daily rest rule i.e at least 9 hours but less than 11 hours does this apply in the calendar week i.e. Monday 00:01 to Sunday 24:00 / 00:00 or your working week which might be if doing 6 shifts be a Wed - Tue?

Logic tells me it is the latter i.e you can do it a max of three times in your individual working week but I can’t find anywhere in the regs where it references the drivers working week as opposed to Monday - Sunday.

So if it is a calendar week, that is easy to work out. Any period mon to sun a max of 3 reduced daily rests. If it is your working week that in theory is straightforward but say you did Wed to Tue on the Monday and Tuesday of week 2 you did 2 x 14 hour days can you also do two over 13 hour days on say the Thursday and Friday having had a reduced weekly rest on the Wednesday?

Also an added complication. If you take another reduced weekly rest during your 6 days (to max out the time until you must take a full weekly rest) working does this reset anything?

gov.uk/guidance/drivers-hou … vers-hours
“A driver may reduce their daily rest period to no less than 9 continuous hours, but this can be done no more than three times between any two weekly rest periods;”
So, 3 days reduced daily rests, 24 off and reduced rests available again.
I think that`s right.

Franglais:
Drivers’ hours and tachographs: goods vehicles - 1. EU and AETR rules on drivers’ hours - Guidance - GOV.UK
“A driver may reduce their daily rest period to no less than 9 continuous hours, but this can be done no more than three times between any two weekly rest periods;”
So, 3 days reduced daily rests, 24 off and reduced rests available again.
I think that`s right.

Thanks buddy.

Strangely enough, while the reduced rest rules apply to rests taken between weekly rest periods, the ten hour driving rules apply to fixed weeks so it is perfectly legal to drive ten hours on four consecutive days (Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday).

Harry Monk:
Strangely enough, while the reduced rest rules apply to rests taken between weekly rest periods, the ten hour driving rules apply to fixed weeks so it is perfectly legal to drive ten hours on four consecutive days (Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday).

Yep. Exactly as you say.
A 24 hr break resets reduced daily rests, but not 10hr drives.
The law is a logic-free zone it seems.

Harry Monk:

Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday :wink:

Franglais:
The law is a logic-free zone it seems.

I suspect it was written before seven day working in the industry was as commonplace as it is now; also worth noting that in many parts of mainland Europe, Sunday running is severely restricted; the UK doesn’t enjoy that luxury.

kevin0410:

Harry Monk:

Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday :wink:

Yes, you’re right. That too.