MAN TGS/TGX steering wheel display & radio

Been looking around on Google but can’t seem to find an answer to this.

The Status display for the multi function steering wheel as pictured below…

by default it displays the radio controls thus letting you control the radio from the buttons on the wheel, however on nearly every different truck I’ve driven recently I’m not sure what I keep doing but after a few hours or so the display boxes go blank and the buttons on the wheel do nothing to the radio, the radio still works as do the multi function buttons if I select a different section of the menu and that will then have the icons again as shown in the picture above.

So my question is a two parter, a) what the heck do I keep doing to make them disappear/stop functioning? and b) more importantly how the heck do I get the radio functions back?

Ta muchly.

Wow, nobody?

Alright then, thanks anyway. :neutral_face:

I had that problem on my old 14 plate TGX. Never did figure out why, all I could do was turn the radio off at the unit and then back on again.

Very odd. We haven’t got any MAN’S anymore as they have gone back to the hire company.

But I have never had it go blank from memory and the buttons not respond.

Is there a setting to turn the display after a period time in the setup menu? That also maybe stops the steering wheel controls also working.

I know you can turn the touchscreen control on the radio on and off why you would want to turn it off on the radio itself is beyond me.

I drive a MAN, but have never encountered your problems(s), so can’t help…

What I will do though, is go ‘digging’ into the settings, and see if there’s any ‘timers’ for the display and buttons etc…

Are there any warnings on the dash display when the buttons stop working? It cuts the use of the buttons to make sure you read it.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Captain Caveman 76:
I had that problem on my old 14 plate TGX. Never did figure out why, all I could do was turn the radio off at the unit and then back on again.

Did that bring the functions back for you CC ?

simcor:
Is there a setting to turn the display after a period time in the setup menu? That also maybe stops the steering wheel controls also working.

Nothing that seemed to bring it back, I looked in Menu > Audio > Radio (i believe from memory) and there were some checkboxes but nothing I did seemed to get the functions back.

Goldfinger:
What I will do though, is go ‘digging’ into the settings, and see if there’s any ‘timers’ for the display and buttons etc…

Thanks, I’d appreciate that mate.

El Deano:
Are there any warnings on the dash display when the buttons stop working? It cuts the use of the buttons to make sure you read it.

Nah, nothing, I only notice it’s gone when I go to turn up/down the volume and it doesn’t work and then I see that the boxes are blank across the bottom of the display.

I.ve had similar and turning the power off on the isolator for half an hour or so cured it for me

Captain Caveman 76:

Some of the MAN’s where I work do the same, as above turn off the radio completely and turn it back on again, fixes it every time. Bit of a bind but hey-ho does the trick

Just dusting this off and resuscitating it to say that I (finally) figured out what causes it and how to prevent it…

If you turn the engine off but do not turn the key all the way off to the removing position and then restart the engine a short while later the radio controls will disappear, so I’ve just had to get into the habit of turning the key all the way off each time and now the radio controls appear every time.

I’ve been driving TGX’s on and off (mostly on) for about 8 years and have always been baffled by this but not enough to investigate. Even my current 18 plate does it! Thanks for putting my out of my mystery [emoji2].
The actros I had before would let you restart it without turning the key fully off then back on so I’ll have to get back into the habit of doing that.

There is a way as I asked MAN tech other day as it was driving me nuts as well

Apparently your pressing Ok button twice!

Not at work now till Monday to check how it’s done but if I remember …

If you going into menu, drop to audio and bring up. Display you want, then press ok.

Now I think he said don’t press ok or back button and it should stay.

Or it might have been bring up display you want and press ok twice to get it to stay ■■

Only tajes two tries to see which it was.

It does work as he said honest

When I’m back I’ll go through it and try take pix in case anyone needs to do it on theirs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dcgpx:
There is a way as I asked MAN tech other day as it was driving me nuts as well

Apparently your pressing Ok button twice!

Not at work now till Monday to check how it’s done but if I remember …

If you going into menu, drop to audio and bring up. Display you want, then press ok.

Now I think he said don’t press ok or back button and it should stay.

Or it might have been bring up display you want and press ok twice to get it to stay ■■

Only tajes two tries to see which it was.

It does work as he said honest

When I’m back I’ll go through it and try take pix in case anyone needs to do it on theirs

Doing it that way I think you’d lose the drivers hours display.

Got another question for you fellow MAN men…

How do you turn the fridge/cooler on? I’ve never bothered with them before even though all our motors have them, went to chuck my sarnie box in one the other night but it was warm inside it and I couldn’t see an obvious switch to turn it on so I resorted to plan B and pointed the air vent at my bag and put the AC on instead.

Reef:
Doing it that way I think you’d lose the drivers hours display.

No it doesn’t. Like I said till I’m back at work can’t really explain it till I do it again on display

It def does work as he went through it.

Any MAN dealers near you to ask ?

dcgpx:
Any MAN dealers near you to ask ?

Yeah there is but I work nights and they don’t, not that I need to ask them because as I’d said in my prior post I’ve found that the solution is to turn the key all the way off (extract key position), so it doesn’t do it anymore :wink:

Reef:

How do you turn the fridge/cooler on? I’ve never bothered with them before even though all our motors have them, went to chuck my sarnie box in one the other night but it was warm inside it and I couldn’t see an obvious switch to turn it on so I resorted to plan B and pointed the air vent at my bag and put the AC on instead.

Switch and temp gauge on top in back right corner looking from front of truck.

El Deano:

Reef:

Switch and temp gauge on top in back right corner looking from front of truck.

Thanks El Deano, I did have a quick look the other night but must’ve missed them, I’ll have a better look when I’m back in next.

No problem.