Just got a ticket for a sip of coffee

Just got pulled over by an ■■■■ traffic cop on a bike who must have taken offense at my coffee sipping movement. Seriously, anyone would have thought I’d just done a bank job by the way he was acting. I had no clue what I’d done wrong as the first thing I knew was him pulling upsides and furiously gesturing to the curb as though I’d failed to stop. He had a terrible cold and sat in my passenger seat sniffing continuously as he wrote out the ticket which was for 'Not being in a position to have proper control (RC86814). Really? So there are lorry drivers out there driving like complete ■■■■■, reaching for their cigarettes, talking on their phones and texting, and you do me for an arm movement from my cup holder to my mouth whilst keeping my eyes on the road, sticking to the speed limit, having a completely clean licence and tacho completely legal. He then plays the professional lorry driver card, which I have to accept. I’ve honestly a good mind to contest this in court if it wasn’t for the bad rep we get. ■■■■■■ me off.

Don’t bother contesting you will end up with a bigger fine and costs.

He’s doing what he gets paid to do, drinking from a cup as far as he is concerned you don’t have proper control, the moral of the story is make proper use of you’re mirrors.

Harsh but no excuses.

mike68:
the moral of the story is make proper use of you’re mirrors.

Pretty much that ^^^^ really. I’m not going to have a pop at you for doing what I do constantly Robert as I’m assuming you’re a grown up and decided where you were doing it was in a place you considered to be low risk. For future reference though keep your eyes open buddy.

This didn’t happen, did it?

A.

I was under the impression for stuff like this they had to have evidence or such that you weren’t in control. It’s not against the law to do what you did in itself as far as I’m aware.

ETA: rac.co.uk/drive/advice/know … -answered/

They look at it the same as reaching for a phone, and putting it to your ear…a coffee cup goes to your mouth…so many things you can get done for now…eating an apple/foodstuffs have to be more than perfect, even holding the wheel at 10 to 2. :smiley: Dont appeal, you wont win…but all the best anyway.Btw, you did nothing wrong inn my eyes, we all do things we shouldnt…your only problem was getting caught. :smiley:

But no one ever gets stopped for smoking whilst driving…

Does he have it on camera? If not then surely it’s his word against yours which won’t stand up in a court of law.

Pretty much as above though really, keep your eyes on your mirrors and only grab a bite or sip when it’s clear behind and around you… or while you’re being overtaken by a tautliner.

You got the fine for not offering him some of your nice coffee, its been known in Europe that European customs officers and traffic police ask drivers for coffee money, as in a bung to get you on your merry way .

What happened to the days when a decent copper just gave you a bollocking then told you to ■■■■ off.
They prioritise and have their ‘purges’ :unamused: in all the wrong things.

I don’t just have my peek a boo curtains to rock the ‘Mysterious cool Trucker’ look you know. :bulb: :wink:

If the PC was riding a motorcycle and you didn’t see him, how do you know you didn’t get close enough to worry him and make him swerve, brake etc.

Well he said I’m eligible for an awareness course, so will go for this option, even though I’m fairly confident that I wasn’t driving erratically or swerving. Trouble is I don’t know whether he saw me take a sip from head on and turned around or from behind in my wing mirror. If it was the latter he most likely has more evidence of any errors. It’s just a bit hard to take if I wasn’t actually breaking the law, but judging by the vindictive mood he was in, he could well have been setting me up to fall even harder. I don’t know what he saw so guess I’ll have to ■■■■ it up and take my medicine.

the maoster:

mike68:
the moral of the story is make proper use of you’re mirrors.

Pretty much that ^^^^ really. I’m not going to have a pop at you for doing what I do constantly Robert as I’m assuming you’re a grown up and decided where you were doing it was in a place you considered to be low risk. For future reference though keep your eyes open buddy.

Agreed.
We all do it, I certainly do it but before I reach for that cup, chocolate bar or anything else, you gota have a bloody good look around!
Not forgetting unmarked cars.
As others have said, dont contest it, not a cat in hells chance! Put it down to experience and move on.

Should have been nice to him & sung his praises.

eagerbeaver:

Or given him a packet of fishermans friends. :laughing:

eagerbeaver:

Or given him a packet of fishermans friends. :laughing:
He’d probably like to ■■■■ on one. :wink:

Rentadent:
Does he have it on camera? If not then surely it’s his word against yours which won’t stand up in a court of law.

Pretty much as above though really, keep your eyes on your mirrors and only grab a bite or sip when it’s clear behind and around you… or while you’re being overtaken by a tautliner.

I think you will find in “his word against yours” in court that his word carries more weight than yours…

Nearly a page completed, and not yet a post from one of the self righteous condemning us mobile coffee drinkers as irresponsible idiots in charge of a ‘killing machine’ with one hand. :laughing:
It’s no different to driving while adjusting the radio, smoking or scratching your arse, as long as your eye or eyes are on the road ahead.

Way of the world now fella, too many accidents caused by drivers not paying attention so we all get done for the least little thing. Just imagine if you had been glancing at your notes.
Probably worse offence than sipping your coffee. :smiley:

The Sarge:

Rentadent:

I think you will find in “his word against yours” in court that his word carries more weight than yours…

I read about a speeding case on piston heads years ago whereas a mobile speed gun operator had pulled a car for doing summat like 38 in a 30.
The driver and his 3 passengers denied that he was speeding and it went to court. His 3 passengers also contested against it.
The driver lost the case and ended up with about a grand in costs.
Its weighted against the driver no matter what evidence (or not) you have. Its a lose, lose situation.