Southern Train Drivers

The Southern Trains train strike is called off as Drivers get a payrise to £62,000 p.a for 4 day 35 hour week?!?!?! Thought it was about safety?
Shows the power of the Unions.

thesun.co.uk/travel/4874743 … pute-deal/

yeah,shame the transport unions don’t have the same bottle as the rail unions,my older brother is on £63,000 a year as a train operator on the underground,that all came about because of the now deceased bob crow,my brother gets over 10 weeks holiday a year,free travel on the underground,subsidised on the overground trains,and he only does around the same hours,he’s put the years in [35 yrs] but to my mind has never worked hard in all that time,probably one of the most laziest individuals I know [just in case anyone says,i have not spoken to him since 2011]blokes a ■■■■[mind you quite a well off ■■■■]

Well done lads, you stick together, you belong to unions that look after you, and incidentally recommended voting Brexit to their members, you fight tooth and nail against the sort of ■■■■■■■■ some here bend over for if they get a new lorry with a row of spotlights and fridge and microwave , and look where its got you :sunglasses:

Chapeau.

edwin catflap:
The Southern Trains train strike is called off as Drivers get a payrise to £62,000 p.a for 4 day 35 hour week?!?!?! Thought it was about safety?

It shows the benefit of working for a company with no direct competition more like…

Fair play to them though!

Juddian:
Well done lads, you stick together, you belong to unions that look after you, and incidentally recommended voting Brexit to their members, you fight tooth and nail against the sort of ■■■■■■■■ some here bend over for if they get a new lorry with a row of spotlights and fridge and microwave , and look where its got you :sunglasses:

Chapeau.

+1. Strong spine = Fat wallet.

Who do these ■■■■ unions think they are eh, trying to maximise t.s and c.s to the good, looking after their workers, and refusing to let managers on fat salaries keep them in their place. :unamused: …they should be made to be more like us, know our place and regularly take it up the arse I say.
I’m glad that I’m in this job and doing my bit for the economy by working long hours for a pittance, thus subsidising prices in shops for everybody else.

I agree with most members on this forum and their opinion that unions are a waste of time and money.
We don’t want to be going back to the 70s as you all regularly say do we.
I’ll just stick with my tenner an hour right through, balls to 62k…

:unamused: :unamused:

They deserve it. I bet none of you could steer a train well enough to keep it on those narrow little tracks. Especially when it’s dark!

robroy:
Who do these [zb] unions think they are eh, trying to maximise t.s and c.s to the good, looking after their workers, and refusing to let managers on fat salaries keep them in their place. :unamused: …they should be made to be more like us, know our place and regularly take it up the arse I say.
I’m glad that I’m in this job and doing my bit for the economy by working long hours for a pittance, thus subsidising prices in shops for everybody else.

I agree with most members on this forum and their opinion that unions are a waste of time and money.

Good man. Think yourself lucky that you don’t work with my mate.

He drives Class 1 days for Royal Mail. 40-50 hours a week, get’s nearly £40k a year. I pity the fool :laughing:

eagerbeaver:

robroy:
Who do these [zb] unions think they are eh, trying to maximise t.s and c.s to the good, looking after their workers, and refusing to let managers on fat salaries keep them in their place. :unamused: …they should be made to be more like us, know our place and regularly take it up the arse I say.

He drives Class 1 days for Royal Mail. 40-50 hours a week, get’s nearly £40k a year. I pity the fool :laughing:

Yeh too right mate, I’m with the majority on here.
■■■■■■■■ to sticking together, we might all get told off, and I’d rather join the ■■■■ Moonies than a Union,… just out for them ■■■■ selves unions, 62k my arse, what use are they today eh? :unamused:

Anyone fancy a “do unions still have a purpose” thread?

Oh, maybe not then!

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk

robroy:

eagerbeaver:

robroy:

Yeh too right mate, I’m with the majority on here.
■■■■■■■■ to sticking together, we might all get told off, and I’d rather join the [zb] Moonies than a Union,… just out for them [zb] selves unions, 62k my arse, what use are they today eh? :unamused:

Massive difference here rob, unions work well with strong men, different ball game to a train driver and a lorry driver. You won’t see many train drivers working through an agency, you also won’t see many EE citizens sat in a train either unless they are a passenger. Union members who stick together win the day every time. Try that out with lorry drivers, you have no chance.

UKtramp:
Massive difference here rob, unions work well with strong men, different ball game to a train driver and a lorry driver. You won’t see many train drivers working through an agency, you also won’t see many EE citizens sat in a train either unless they are a passenger. Union members who stick together win the day every time. Try that out with lorry drivers, you have no chance.

You disappoint me bud, I was expecting you coming back with your usual management perspective bias, telling us all about …how Union membership is akin to selling your soul to Satan. :smiley:

The writing on the wall is there for all to see, clearly illustrating what can be achieved with a bit of solidarity sticking together…surely the most sorry arsed specimens on here who are regular bend overs can even see that. :bulb:

I love it when the Conservative press always paint these workers out as pariahs for causing disruption, by stopping all the 52k a year workers from catching their trains to go to their nice cushy numbers in the City.
So think what we could achieve? …Not everyone uses a train, but everyone sure as hell uses a supermarket, builders merchant, and everywhere else that truckers supply.

I aint interested in 62k even if we had a chance of achieving it by holding the country to ransom, but a small bite of the cherry would be nice.
A bit of fair treatment as grown ups, a cut in the ridiculous daily hours, and a fair pay rate and structure would be nice.

I know I’m coming across as some militant arse to some on here, (don’t give a ■■■■ btw :bulb: ) but I never had any call to be in a union on my previous 2 jobs as I was treated more than fairly, well paid for (regularly) going above the call of duty, and going that extra mile to help and all the rest of it,… it’s called reciprocation and reaping what you sow.
A pity a few firms could not grasp that concept. :bulb: you get more out of a happy driver than an abused one.

I am not anti union same as you are not militant. I strongly believe in Solidarity and know what that can do as do many others know this. You cannot get weak minded demoralised drivers to stick together, if you could then there would be no need for a union. However I said a union run by drivers would be a far greater union to represent drivers. A union is only as god as the men that they are representing, the union needs the backing of a workforce as much as the men need the backing of a union.

UKtramp:
I am not anti union same as you are not militant. I strongly believe in Solidarity and know what that can do as do many others know this. You cannot get weak minded demoralised drivers to stick together, if you could then there would be no need for a union. However I said a union run by drivers would be a far greater union to represent drivers. A union is only as god as the men that they are representing, the union needs the backing of a workforce as much as the men need the backing of a union.

The nature of transport is not good for unions though.

Your first problem is actually getting the workforce together at the same time for a meeting.

Next problem is if Company A won’t move it Company B will…

Next problem most drivers couldn’t show solidarity at gunpoint.

Next problem, the job is now so far dumbed down. It would have been nice if the DCPC was an actual qualification that meant higher wages or security, instead of the monumental waste of everyone’s time and money it turned out to be.

The industry could not stand together now and try to get better conditions, even if it wanted to, mainly because of self inflicted injuries

Darkside:

edwin catflap:

It shows the benefit of working for a company with no direct competition more like…

Fair play to them though!

More to the point; it’s not as if the management can outsource the job to Willie Betz Rail or suchlike. As most of you will be aware, train drivers can only work on routes which they can “sign for” which is to say they have full knowledge of. Given also the reluctance of train operating companies to keep more staff on the payroll than they absolutely have to (understandable on those kind of salaries) it means that the drivers can pretty much name their own price because they’re effectively irreplaceable.

That situation simply does not exist in road transport, and never will no matter how much we bump our gums about a driver shortage. Bear in mind though that it’s within living memory when the pendulum had swung very firmly the other way, in the dying days of steam; nobody wanted to do a dirty dangerous job with long anti-social hours for lousy pay so instead they forsook the railway and went lorry driving instead.

I also suspect that even the well-paid train drivers might have had enough of being on strike over an issue which, quite frankly, they’re not going to win. There is a safety case to be made, but technology is fast making that case less and less credible, and the travelling public are becoming wise to this. If autonomous lorries are the future of our industy, how much sooner will autonomous trains, with their easier safety applications, come to pass? It’s already standard on the Docklands Light Railway after all, and it’s commonly known that only union influence has kept London Underground drivers in their jobs.

The other point to this is that the rail operators will simply increase train fares to the passengers in order to pay this out to the drivers. If the same happened with lorry drivers, the hauliers would have to increase their prices to the supermarkets. This all has a knock on effect to food prices and we will all end up paying in the long run. Supermarkets dictate prices from suppliers down to the hauliers, if the lorry drivers put the pressure on the supermarkets then the supermarkets would have no option but to pay. Look at the farmers with the milk, they were producing milk at a loss just because the supermarkets had set the price they were willing to pay. It took a handful of farmers to take a few cows into a supermarket to get this altered. Not suggesting we drive a lorry into a supermarket, but if they received no deliveries then the lorry drivers wages would increase overnight.