Arriva bus strikes

Seems that our bus driving buddies are a tad ■■■■■■ off and have described their latest pay offer as ’ an insult '.

Anyone on here know what they get paid?

Dunno but they work some ■■■■ hrs…they wanted my brother to work 7:30-11am then go home and come back to do 2:30pm-11:30pm,that was a set shift.
Think they called it the “have absolutely no life shift”.
My brother left after they told him it was that or nothing so he took the nothing option :smiley:

xichrisxi:
Dunno but they work some [zb] hrs…they wanted my brother to work 7:30-11am then go home and come back to do 2:30pm-11:30pm,that was a set shift.
Think they called it the “have absolutely no life shift”.

Not good Chris. I was in Birmingham city centre today, and there was a big sticker on the back of a double decker bus that I was behind.

It read " You could be driving this bus for £400 per week ". :open_mouth:

" All you need is a driving licence "; (It was missing " and a lobotomy ")…

£10+ ph and as said the terrible split shift system.

I used to work in the bootle depot for 17 years up until 2003.
Still have a few mates there I drink with, they are on about £11 and hour, flat rate right through unpaid breaks (30 minutes) and 5 over 7.
It’s about more than the money, the routes times are tight, the cashing up times are impossible and everything is cut to the bone.
The pay at other depots under the arriva North West area is a few quid an hour less and the depot want it equal for all depots without the higher earnings depot having to stand still wage wise while the others catch up.
All this while the German company who own arriva had announced that sector has made it record profits.

Doesn’t sound right Drift :neutral_face:

■■■■■■ me off when firms make big profits and don’t look after drivers. At the end of the day it’s a bus company, without bus drivers they simply do not have a company.

Good luck to them I say. Hope the strikes cause chaos.

eagerbeaver:
Seems that our bus driving buddies are a tad ■■■■■■ off and have described their latest pay offer as ’ an insult '.

Anyone on here know what they get paid?

In the north west the most recent figure I heard was £11.84 per hour. Flat rate, I believe. Whether that is worth it for being shot at when driving through Speke, Toxteth and wherever else late at night is open to debate.

In my years there we had one strike but the union kept things pretty level, but since the company has really turned the screw to erode conditions that have always been in place by making drivers jump through hoops and endless paperwork to get anything they are entitled to.
I worked in the head office in Aintree for a few years after I left driving and in all fairness Phil stone the md was brilliant when I was made redundant I got more than twice the money I was expecting (it was that or relocate to Luton) but things have really changed.
the drivers from what I see on Facebook and mates are very united across nearly every depot and will in my opinion see it out to the end, another 9 days of strikes announced between now and Christmas.
It’s definitely not as much as £11.84, also they have a new starter rate…

A few years ago I was offered a bus driving job for Warrington Borough Transport.

One week of 5am- 2pm and then the next week was 2pm-11pm. I then grabbed some gravel and rubbed it in my eyes for 20 mins, and I reckon the gravel would be a better choice.

eagerbeaver:
A few years ago I was offered a bus driving job for Warrington Borough Transport.

One week of 5am- 2pm and then the next week was 2pm-11pm. I then grabbed some gravel and rubbed it in my eyes for 20 mins, and I reckon the gravel would be a better choice.

Just be glad you didn’t take the job, it effects your mind… Then again :open_mouth: :laughing:

Todays Liverpool Echo reckons they have been offered just above 12 quid an hour. Is it coincidence that they are ramping it up the same time as the guys on the railway too? Seems a bit political to me. Respect to anybody who has to drive a bus through the rougher areas of any city though.

Drift:

eagerbeaver:

Just be glad you didn’t take the job, it effects your mind… Then again :open_mouth: :laughing:

This has been going on near a year, the company offered drivers 0.9% and engineering staff 2.7% the thinking was to split the union vote but they stuck together to hold out for 3.7% and lower paid depots parity to higher paid depots with working conditions improved.

And yup spot on beaver :laughing:

I’ve not long left Megabus. They paid £11.34 an hour Monday to Friday, £13.67 an hour on a Saturday, £14.25 an hour on a Sunday and any day any hours between 9pm and 4am used to be paid at £15.50 per hour.

The money was decent but as pointed out earlier everything is run thin including times so you literally had to nail it everywhere to try and keep time and even then you couldn’t.

I’ll give you an example… you used to get 20 minutes to do one stop and get to the next one so I worked out you needed to be doing 64mph to do it. You can only do 62mph and that not considering 30mph speed limits or traffic lights or traffic etc.

Edit - And not forgetting dealing with the hood old public who think they own you because they’ve paid £3 for a ticket :laughing:

That is decent for the industry but your either breaking the law or breaking passenger to do it.
can’t say I miss Liverpool city centre on a Saturday late :imp:

If the time table is impossible it should be reported to management in the first instance.If no satisfaction there send a copy with distances to the Traffic Commissioner.

alamcculloch:
If the time table is impossible it should be reported to management in the first instance.If no satisfaction there send a copy with distances to the Traffic Commissioner.

It’s been done. The result was that there was apparently no pressure from the company to fulfil unrealistic times which to be fair there never was. It was never questioned if you were late ever and there was never a ‘how long you going to be’ kind of thing from them. They just said if you’re late you’re late.

Different story for the passengers though as it’s them thst get on your back.

eagerbeaver:

■■■■■■ me off when firms make big profits and don’t look after drivers. At the end of the day it’s a bus company, without bus drivers they simply do not have a company.

I’m not sure arriva are making profits DB (duetsche bahn )who owns them was said to have threatened to pull out if its not turned around

chester1:

eagerbeaver:

I’m not sure arriva are making profits DB (duetsche bahn )who owns them was said to have threatened to pull out if its not turned around

Deutsche Bahn are using arriva Europe to raise money (floating the company) to hold up its core German rail business which is massively in debt after investment, Deutsche Bahn is state owned :wink:

Drift:

chester1:

eagerbeaver:

Deutsche Bahn are using arriva Europe to raise money (floating the company) to hold up its core German rail business which is massively in debt after investment, Deutsche Bahn is state owned :wink:

They maybe making money in mainland Europe but the have threatened to pull out of the UK . They are poaching people left right and center to turn it around . The subsidy they get from the local councils are decreased most years … so I’m told