The new Daf XF

Anybody got one, or had one on demo? I’m getting one in October, unfortunately a 480 Space Cab. (as opposed to a 530 Super Space) Ive had about 4 Dafs in my time, all left ■■■■■■ 16 speed manuals. Just after any info really, good points bad points etc…

Nothing is the same as the old one ,well apart from the cab …You will be pleasantly surprised …The night heater has changed and it the hot water version,You will really need to read any hand book on it ,it basically will use the residual heat from the engine ,which in itself will keep the cab warm for up to an hour ,You can move the switches about the dash to suit yourself ,But unless you know about the LIN system it can get complicated and they may not work ,if they don’t pulling the fuse will programme them to work ,but again the handbook will explain …The new interior light switch is better ,it controls all the interior lights and will dim them…The rear wall at the bunk has a better switch layout ,it gives you the temp of the cab which you can alter ,lock unlock door ,on off interior lights switch roof hatch night heater and 1 other …The engine when driving will sit at roughly at 1000 rpm…all to do with fuel saving …The new traxton gearbox sounds good …new oil pump ,water pump injectors ,exhaust system (smaller) ,new ad blue system …tooo much too mention,Important bit is the power rating You can have a 480 for example ,but it can come with 2 power modes …so for example if you order the we will call it power mode you can drive in in auto or manual .if you then put it eco then its auto only …Now you can also order the same engine in eco mode ,so it wont have the power of the other version …Its power mode is the same as the other versions eco mode but can be driven in auto/manual …and it’s eco mode is auto only…As I said you need a handbook So a fleet could order 480’s with the “power mode” then 6 months later order more but with the eco mode ,and both would drive differently one would be faster ,and the other better on fuel …and if drivers don’t know I can envisage loads of power complaints when a fault doesn’t exist …If you can try and get a handbook a week before you get the truck ,as you wont get the benefit if you just get a set of keys …Headlamps are different ,and even under the grill there is rubber flaps that direct the air where DAF want it to go ,Hope you enjoy it and I haven’t bored the ■■■ out of you

Thanks for that norb, interesting reading, not boring mate, it all helps.
I could ask about the power mode, and the bloke who ordered the truck wouldn’t have a clue!
The night heater sounds interesting, does it still blow out of one pipe behind a seat, or does it use the vents? Ive looked online, and it seems like it can blow cold air out in the summertime, which would be great.
I may go to the Truckfest at Norwich and ask at the Daf stand for any reading material, preferably a handbook. Ive always (when been given keys to a new truck) just worked it all out myself, but with what ive seen of the new Daf on youtube, I will need an 'ology just to work the center display out!

were getting a demo of the new daf and a mercedes on the same week both will be 480’s so be interesting too see the results because they will be doing similar work

Watch out for lampposts, islands and other street furniture . Your crash avoidance system - will love the said items and decide you have to stop RIGHT F*&%ING NOW.
We have a 510 SSC 4x2 . Havent driven it but its the one complaint I hear from those that have .

kindle530:
I’m getting one in October

My sincerest condolences. My thoughts and prayers are with you at this difficult time :wink:

bloody hell norb what a great reply. what you like with gardening cus I got probs with my honeysuckle. :slight_smile:

Do any of you remember the ERF EC11 that was introduced to operators as the fuel duel challenge and took all comers on and beat them all on MPG figures.It may not have been every drivers favourite but as regards cost of operation and reliability it was no 1.
If you look at the fleets that used to run ERF’s they now run DAF’s that shows to me it is all things considered best of the bunch.

Look what the big fleets buy then follow suit

Are you still working for the same bloke kindle? I thought he was mainly a scania man

Id love to have a drive in the latest DAF. The DAF cab is good and has been for the last 20? plus years. Ive written on here about how much I hate my current Eu6 DAF. It is a DOG! But I dont say that all DAFs are bad because of this. The Eu6 late 2015 I drive has quite a good 460 engine. Given its rating it does go well, if driven in manual. It runs a lot cooler on the difficult sections than the older models so should last longer. Good service intervals. Economy better than before but hardly class leading.
IF the new one has a better (difficult to imagine a worse one) gearbox, IF there is a better AEBS (anti-collision) system, better lane departure system, IF the cab storage hasnt shrunk any further, IF the brakes both primary and secondary are improved, IF the chassis/suspension is made stiffer, then great. Given our companys present relationship with DAF maybe theyll be trying to get some for us to try? If so, I hope the new un is a major improvement on the last “stop-gap, cobbled together” offering. If not theyll be left out in the cold Id expect.