You're Joking ?

talking to an artic driver yesterday, he works for a company in the Blackburn area… I won’t name names…
he is on the fantastic wage of , £7.50 for the first 65 hours, and then goes onto an overtime rate…
My first thought was to slap him, but now I feel sorry for him…

Why do some drivers think that driving from a to b, and pulling the curtains back, should pay considerably more than minimum wage?

Cos we get up really early…

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Whilst the unfortunate, the desperate and the stupid etc work for those wages things will never change.

We can debate the crap rates issue until the cows come home but at the end of the day if firms can find arses to seats for that sort of money why would they pay more?

In said individuals case he may be desperate, lack experience or just have needed someone to give him a chance so he can move on to better things in the future.

At least he isn’t joining to dole queue.

Unfortunately for drivers who work for his competitors next door, when the next contract comes up for renewal and one firm pays their drivers two or three quid an hour more an hour than his firm, guess who will have the lowest overheads and more than likely win said contract? Then guess which drivers will go knocking for a job for £7.50 an hour when their out of the job and need to put food on the table?

Personally I wouldn’t drive an artic for that but others will.

the nodding donkey:
Why do some drivers think that driving from a to b, and pulling the curtains back, should pay considerably more than minimum wage?

That’s a ■■■■■■■■ quote straight from the transport managers and truck fleet owners manual isn’t it :unamused:

I used to hear the very same from now defunct transport companies like Deben and Goldstar. Paying their drivers ■■■■ money so they all left and had to start using agencies which cost considerably more.
They’ve gone defunct, and now drivers are supposed to feel sorry for them :laughing:

the nodding donkey:

I now work for Cisco with a CCNA certification.
I trained in my own time at my own expence (just like i did when i studied my hgv)
I then took a test and passed (just the same as)

I wasn’t intimidated at the task, and did what was needed (blah, blah, blah) I now earn 4 times as much for going through the same processes.
It’s something that 70 percent of the population can do and about 90 percent of the drivers i worked with could do it.
So my question would have been to the bloke (unless he came across as being exceptionally thick) why do it?
If your manager thinks like the poster above tell them to do a ‘runner’, preferably off a cliff (a big ■■■■■■■ huge one)

I wouldn’t drive a van let alone an artic for min wage. I’m a restaurant supervisor and I earn more an hour.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

What’s it got to do with you how much a driver with a different company is paid?

A.

I am continuously amused by the posts about the disgustingly low pay you are getting :laughing: It’s the fault of anyone who takes those jobs. If I worked back there I would never consider anything less than time and a half after the first 8 hours and double time on Sundays. If the guy is willing to work for crap it’s his choice to do so. It makes him an idiot all the same.
You all need to stand up for yourselves and demand more pay and better conditions, I always when I lived there and much to the shock of my employers over here I still do. The very first driving job I took here was minimum wage, after two weeks I told them I was leaving because the pay was too low, I got a raise on the spot. At St Anna transportation nobody would stand up for what they wanted, they asked me to do so, I did and we got a pay increase. In my present company when senior management wanted to take money away from us I alone stood up and protested, actually contacting the CEO, I got every driver reimbursed with the money we had earned, 2 months later we got a $600 per month pay increase. Stand up for what you deserve, sitting back and saying nothing makes the bosses think you are a push over.

Because you’re only a professional after an accident or an offence, anything before those happen means you are just a steering wheel operator.

Adonis.:
What’s it got to do with you how much a driver with a different company is paid?

A.

What’s it got to do with you how drivers discuss wages?

Your attempts at incendiary posts are becoming more tiresome and predictable by the day.
Desperate forum ■■■■■■■■■■■ at its best.
Everyone look at me, I’m Adonis and I’m outrageous…yawn.

N.

IronEddie:
I wouldn’t drive a van let alone an artic for min wage. I’m a restaurant supervisor and I earn more an hour.

You’re on the wrong forum,just saying.

bobbya:

IronEddie:

This isn’t cateringnet? ■■■■ I wondered why everyone was talking about lorries.

I’m embarking on a career change mate and I do leak out of the new and wanna be section.

Still wouldn’t drive anything for minimum wage. :confused:

Norfolkinclue1:

Adonis.:

A.

What’s it got to do with you how drivers discuss wages?

Your attempts at incendiary posts are becoming more tiresome and predictable by the day.
Desperate forum [zb] at its best.
Everyone look at me, I’m Adonis and I’m outrageous…yawn.

N.

+1. There seems to be a number of combatants on here recently looking to occupy the smoking monkey’s title…

And as for the company, it’s McMurray’s. Grow some ■■■■■■■■ people and get naming & shaming :unamused:

containers_only:

the nodding donkey:

That’s a [zb] quote straight from the transport managers and truck fleet owners manual isn’t it :unamused:

I used to hear the very same from now defunct transport companies like Deben and Goldstar. Paying their drivers [zb] money so they all left and had to start using agencies which cost considerably more.
They’ve gone defunct, and now drivers are supposed to feel sorry for them :laughing:

the nodding donkey:

I now work for Cisco with a CCNA certification.
I trained in my own time at my own expence (just like i did when i studied my hgv)
I then took a test and passed (just the same as)

I wasn’t intimidated at the task, and did what was needed (blah, blah, blah) I now earn 4 times as much for going through the same processes.
It’s something that 70 percent of the population can do and about 90 percent of the drivers i worked with could do it.
So my question would have been to the bloke (unless he came across as being exceptionally thick) why do it?
If your manager thinks like the poster above tell them to do a ‘runner’, preferably off a cliff (a big [zb] huge one)

you sure goldstar are defunct,there are plenty in Swindon on the Honda contract,all goldstar,not seen anything about said company

IronEddie:

bobbya:

IronEddie:

I’m embarking on a career change mate and I do leak out of the new and wanna be section.

So when you do change careers or if you change careers then come back and tell us wage slaves how to do it,nip back to cateringnet now and swap recipes with your catering chums or whatever,goodnight.

bobbya:

IronEddie:

bobbya:

IronEddie:

So when you do change careers or if you change careers then come back and tell us wage slaves how to do it,nip back to cateringnet now and swap recipes with your catering chums or whatever,goodnight.

Your time of the month is it? Calm yourself. My opinion is just as valid as anyone else’s.

the nodding donkey:

Its this kind of attitude thats holding this industry back im not saying its rocket science but we are constantly reminded that we are professionals and lets not even go into the cost of obtaining your licence so i yes i think we deserve to be paid the wage of a professional worker and not have to work 60 plus house and sleep in a truck to make ends meet

Not a chance. That’s less than £400 in your bank before night out money. I’d go and work at Aldi on the checkout instead of working driving an artic doing that many hours for that money.

The reason some people choose to drive trucks for crap money is they are NOT people friendly, they prefer to be on there own, and don’t t interact very well with others, some of us steering wheel nuts/attendee, are very qualified O and A levels, or some I know have 2-2, and are barristers, engineers and even pilots, have chosen this job for its loneliness, and lack of people.

biggriffin:
The reason some people choose to drive trucks for crap money is they are NOT people friendly, they prefer to be on there own, and don’t t interact very well with others, some of us steering wheel nuts/attendee, are very qualified O and A levels, or some I know have 2-2, and are barristers, engineers and even pilots, have chosen this job for its loneliness, and lack of people.

And quite a few bus drivers as well [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38][emoji38][emoji38][emoji23]