Driver fined for sleeping in piggy back truck!

Hampshire police fined 2 truck drivers because one was as sleep in his cab on the back of the others trailer
Hampshire and Thames Valley crackdown catches sleeping HGV driver
bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-39538040

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Silly boy

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Why would the one who wasn’t asleep get a fine?

axletramp:

Because he allowed the other driver to do it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

axletramp:

I suspect it’s similar to aiding and abetting, he knew he was there so condoned his actions, just like allowing someone without a licence or insurance to drive your car.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=146033

Easy targets,they never stop the pikies with the families In the back of the caravans. Joepipe

Maybe it depends on how many pik… sorry families are in there.

blue estate:
Hampshire police fined 2 truck drivers because one was as sleep in his cab on the back of the others trailer

An excellent job at over-sensationalisation by the BBC there by attempting to suggest that the driver was ‘asleep at the wheel’, and not taking a rest while his truck was being carried by another.

I can only think that this concerns two of De Rooy’s.

Olog Hai:

blue estate:

An excellent job at over-sensationalisation by the BBC there by attempting to suggest that the driver was ‘asleep at the wheel’, and not taking a rest while his truck was being carried by another.

I can only think that this concerns two of De Rooy’s.

could be brit european…

It’s certainly misleading and it’s like a bloke double manning, it’s not illegal to sleep on the bunk but you can’t count it as a daily rest.

i know its illegal for the passengers in the caravan as its being towed,but why would it be ilegal to kip in the truck being piggybacked. its not the 1st time ive done it being either the driver or the carried cab.
it wouldnt stop me doing it again with the chance of being pulled so slim,but just curious.
if its not safe when travelling,then surely the same must be correct for your double manned driver lying down?
its not a seat that needs seat belts,so cant be done for not wearing one as it only applies to forward facing seats,and a bed is not a seat.
f you load up a piggyback,then once its chained/strapped down its part of the vehicle.or was it possibly a wagon and drg type and carried on the drag?
tncsi to the rescue please.
or
alternatively,lets try for at least 8 pages of waffling arguments both on and off topic… :slight_smile:

In think the only way he could have been spotted, is by sitting in a seat ( having a ■■■ ) and mr public reporting him…or the police saw him…for if he was having a kip…he couldnt be seen…

I think that not being seen in the cab of the driven vehicle was their downfall, if your going to do it get a clothed blow up doll in the passenger seat, I’m told they have other uses as well and some are better drivers than many human ones.

My bet is it’s one of Jan de Rooy’s, doing nowt wrong really but probably had his curtains closed making him an easy target for those heroes that should otherwise be targeting the real criminals as mentioned above, but that’s another story I guess. As an aside I once decided to stay in my truck on the train Ingolstadt to the Brenner, what a mistake, total jolting and banging all night and no chance to take a leak, lesson learnt never again!

short walk:
My bet is it’s one of Jan de Rooy’s, doing nowt wrong really but probably had his curtains closed making him an easy target for those heroes that should otherwise be targeting the real criminals as mentioned above

De Rooys bend every grey area in the book and good luck to them i say. As you mention, its a pity the authorities really have nothing better to do… :unamused:

I met him once at the RAI Amsterdam in 2002, very nice bloke, couldn’t care about authority but a proper hands on boss only interested in getting the job done. Without hurting children or kittens of course!

Wheel Nut 3:
It’s certainly misleading and it’s like a bloke double manning, it’s not illegal to sleep on the bunk but you can’t count it as a daily rest.

That’s my interpretation too, so I can’t understand why both drivers were fined. It’s pushing it a bit to say the lead driver was aiding and abetting a tachograph offence.

short walk:
I met him once at the RAI Amsterdam in 2002, very nice bloke, couldn’t care about authority but a proper hands on boss only interested in getting the job done. Without hurting children or kittens of course!

Kittens are top priority and as long as none get squashed in the process let them crack on… :sunglasses:

Wheel Nut 3:

I was told it was…because you are not wearing a seat belt.