Message fron the RHA

The Road Haulage AssociationLike Page
February 1 at 3:30pm ·
As of today, the DVSA can issue fixed penalties for offences, including breaches to the weekly rest rules and hours offences, that took place in the previous 28 days.

Both UK and foreign HGV drivers could face these penalties, and they cover offences committed in the UK and abroad.

The DVSA can now issue on-the-spot fines of £300 for up to five drivers’ hours offences in the previous 28 day period, meaning that any one driver could face a total fine of £1,500 for historical offences.

Non-UK drivers must pay their fine before continuing their journey and will have their vehicle immobilised until they pay.

The DVSA will also issue a £300 fine to drivers who spend their weekly rest in their cab in areas such as a lay-by or residential area.

These penalties will not be actively enforced until March to allow time for a full 28 day liable period to build up.

Do you think this is a good idea? Let us know in the comments.

These fines wouldn’t have anything to do with self funding, or a way to raise revenue, as the government are skint,. Nooo it’s for road safety, silly me.

biggriffin:
These fines wouldn’t have anything to do with self funding, or a way to raise revenue, as the government are skint,. Nooo it’s for road safety, silly me.

So you think it’s ok to breach the rules/laws? Keep it clean and you’ve got nothing to worry about.

DadsRetired:

biggriffin:

So you think it’s ok to breach the rules/laws? Keep it clean and you’ve got nothing to worry about.

DINGDINGDINGDING!!

Straight in with the big one in bend over bingo!

A.

DadsRetired:

biggriffin:

The rules didn’t seem to matter much when the DVSA didn’t have to worry about their own financial existence… Now they do suddenly everything is being tightened up…

DadsRetired:

biggriffin:

Depends, Im not going to be ecstatic about a fine for breaking a rule by a few mins.

Officer: Sir you did 4:33hr drive 17 days ago, why did you not stop earlier?
Me: I thought I could make it in time to the next services that had a Subway because I wanted that for lunch instead of McDonalds.
Officer: Well that is now a very expensive sandwich I hope it was worth the £300 fine.

SWEDISH BLUE:
The Road Haulage AssociationLike Page
February 1 at 3:30pm ·
As of today, the DVSA can issue fixed penalties for offences, including breaches to the weekly rest rules and hours offences, that took place in the previous 28 days.

Both UK and foreign HGV drivers could face these penalties, and they cover offences committed in the UK and abroad.

The DVSA can now issue on-the-spot fines of £300 for up to five drivers’ hours offences in the previous 28 day period, meaning that any one driver could face a total fine of £1,500 for historical offences.

Non-UK drivers must pay their fine before continuing their journey and will have their vehicle immobilised until they pay.

The DVSA will also issue a £300 fine to drivers who spend their weekly rest in their cab in areas such as a lay-by or residential area.

These penalties will not be actively enforced until March to allow time for a full 28 day liable period to build up.

Do you think this is a good idea? Let us know in the comments.

Does this include WTD offences too? If so do drivers have to carry an exemption letter regarding the night hours rule? Tachomaster occasionally wishes to tell me I’ve breached (I don’t think I have).

biggriffin:

They’re entirely voluntary to pay and you are completely in control of whether you do something to allow them to fine you or not… I’ve not paid one for almost 30 years. So if you get caught by this you have only yourself to blame.

As for including WTD offences, it doesn’t look like it. I think everyone has pretty much given up on enforcing that unless someone complains which I doubt very much anyone driving a truck will given that for us nothing changed with the hours we can do and we just got more crap to deal with at the same time.

wheres the surprise in keeping your cards right?
fiddle what you want,just keep your card right.
no change there?
theres no great chance of getting caught in the act in relative terms apart from occasional bad luck.
just do what you need to do,and make sure your card looks ok after youve done it.
stay away from where the flipflops congregate at the weekends as i wouldnt think vosa will be out patrolling the back lanes and quiet areas when they have the multiple offence option of catching a dozen swan eaters parked up together.
its only bringing the uk rules into line with the rest of the ee that we are all members of as they have noticed the foreign influx of taliban parked up in southern england and that france ect is making a income from it to stamp out the problem…
no doubt they will revert back to the uk version when were finally brexited as it will make such a difference to our working lives :unamused:

Potentially a good idea depends how they use them.

I went over my 4.30 driving time once but explained to the Traffic Officer about heavy traffic on Dartford Tunnel and he just said don’t worry about it we don’t worry about things like that.
Hopefully they will not get petty and start throwing out fines when there are clear mitigating circumstances to back it up and a clear record of clean driving to prove the drive doesn’t make a habit of it.

As for forcing foreign trucks to pay up straight away. I think that is a fantastic idea.

If a bit of common sense is applied, I don’t see a problem. If a zero tolerance approach to 1 minute over is the intention, well, that’s a different matter.

Besides, up to 5 infringements a month? If your getting that many, you obviously either don’t give a ■■■■ or need another working hours CPC session.

Ok foreign Driver you most pay a £300 fine before you move…Keh?..ah yes we need a translator…Kerching! cost £500 superb thinking unlike the French
who have a book of all offences/fines and in 9 different languages,doubt the DVSA have as yet copied the French but I stand to be corrected.

in france etc you can still pay those fines with a good drink for the woodentop thats tugged you,though to be fair,there not just so easy to work with as in the past.
having conveniently placed cashline machines have put paid to that option quite a lot.

maybe if they copied the french, it wouldnt be a bad thing…at least it would bring the coffee money back into force. :smiley:

in lots of ee countries the cos are almost openly corrupt.
as usual in the uk they have the double standards of respectability then you find out later there worse than the rest.

Hello to all,

The problem is: the fines are out of all proportion to the offence. We are working people and it is easy to milk us like cash cows. I am all for weeding out the undesirable elements in the industry, but they proliferate while a hard-working driver gets a £300 fine for spending his weekly rest in the cab in a lay-by. Why?

Things will not get any better. The bureaucracy is increasing in size; all these people who want a title, a smart unmarked hi-viz jacket and the opportunity to lord it have to invent new rules and regulations to justify their jobs – ergo it can never stand still.

adam277:
Potentially a good idea depends how they use them.

I went over my 4.30 driving time once but explained to the Traffic Officer about heavy traffic on Dartford Tunnel and he just said don’t worry about it we don’t worry about things like that.
Hopefully they will not get petty and start throwing out fines when there are clear mitigating circumstances to back it up and a clear record of clean driving to prove the drive doesn’t make a habit of it.

As for forcing foreign trucks to pay up straight away. I think that is a fantastic idea.

Foreign lorries have been paying on the spot fines since around 2010 so nothing new there

dieseldog999:
wheres the surprise in keeping your cards right?
fiddle what you want,just keep your card right.
no change there?
theres no great chance of getting caught in the act in relative terms apart from occasional bad luck.
just do what you need to do,and make sure your card looks ok after youve done it.

Exactly. Me and you disagree on running bent but its an important point that you’ve either got to be driving around with your eyes closed or your brain in neutral to get caught. I last got done for speeding somewhere around 1990 but it doesn’t mean I haven’t since.

Armagedon:
Ok foreign Driver you most pay a £300 fine before you move…Keh?..ah yes we need a translator…Kerching! cost £500 superb thinking unlike the French
who have a book of all offences/fines and in 9 different languages,doubt the DVSA have as yet copied the French but I stand to be corrected.

In the UK VOSA, Police etc have access to the LanguageLine service so they just phone up the LanguageLine call center, say what language they need and a translator is put on the phone. Government pay for this service and it is accessible by all forces so no there isn’t a £500 cost for a translator for a single ticket at all.

prokaryotes:
The problem is: the fines are out of all proportion to the offence. We are working people and it is easy to milk us like cash cows. I am all for weeding out the undesirable elements in the industry, but they proliferate while a hard-working driver gets a £300 fine for spending his weekly rest in the cab in a lay-by. Why?

Because it is the 21st Century and it isn’t reasonable for an employer to have someone taking a weekly rest somewhere where there isn’t even access to a toilet, let alone hot water and a hot meal.

Things will not get any better.

They most certainly won’t when there’s people like you defending employers who won’t pay for parking leaving drivers resorting to ■■■■■■■■ in a carrier bag in a layby at the side of the road on their 45hr weekly break.