European speed limits for hgv

Hi I’m currently on my first trip to Germany having never left the uk in a truck before I’m a little confused when it comes to single carriageway a the autobahn speed limits been trying to look online but hoping there is someone on here possibly switch logic that could help me out with in general European speed limits and rules been doing my research and just getting myself confused would prefer to hear from someone who has been driving abroad before currently parked up in hamburg until Monday morning any help would be much appreciated thanks in advances

Enjoy the Reeperbahn.had many a happy Saturday there …There will be signposted speed limits …I cant remember speed limits after living there for years,but you have nothing to worry about …People still think the autobahn is unlimited ,it isn’t ,sections do have limits and they are posted ,obviously on unlimited section be careful of pulling out to overtake ,as you mirror nay be clear when you check it but bam a beemer will be flashing you 2 seconds later lol…You will be fine ,take it easy and find your feet …just remember it is all in kilometers .Do you know about the priority sign ■■? a yellow diamond with a white border at junctions means you have priority …if it has 3 or 4 black lines through it then that is the end of priority …I dare say google may help…As you may find out all exits lead to ausfhart lol …The germans being germans if you take the wrong exit you can simply rejoin the autobahn,it’s all done in figure of 8s…Services are excellent…Tolls didn’t exist when I was there ,so no help there …If your first trip take it easy and use the services,get some proper maps to back up a sat nav…Read the maps plan your journey ,write it down so you know when to leave a junction ie pre plan the journey ,Also the autobahn ma have to numbers ,there will be the autobahn number ,but it will also have a euro-route number ie E34,which is excellent ,if you look at the map and it say E34 from A to B you follow E34 ,the autobahn number may change but aslong as the E34 is there you are sound it really is a excellent system

Ausfahrt is exit lol

Maut ? Toll Collect ? I hope youre aware all about that if its your first visit to Germany in a truck?
A Beemer giving you a flash doesnt mean "OK, come on out" it means "IM COMING THROUGH".
General rule 90kph autobahns, 80kph the rest, except if lower and signed. 70kph single carriageway. 50kph towns. Beware of lots of “no overtaking for trucks” areas on autobahns, and differing speed limits for trucks, buses, and cars on the same section of the road.

Thanks aware about all the tolls it all set up and working had to stop on the holland/German border for it to reset as truck has been parked up in the UK for a few weeks my biggest concern was single carriageway as my sat navigation tells me 60kmh on single carriageway wen there’s national speed limit signs which I thought was a bit too slow with trucks piling up behind me I plodded along get at 65 to play safe thinking it would be roughly 70kmh on single carriageways. The signs I’m slowly working out have just been taking it steady utility will keep an eye on here for anymore tips thanks for you’re help much appreciated sorry if I do ask anymore stupid questions over the next week’s I know I’ll be running to hamburg regular so should pickup the rules quickly I hope don’t fancy any fines if I can help it have a good weekend all

Yatsay93:
Thanks aware about all the tolls it all … sorry if I do ask anymore stupid questions over the next week’s …

No such thing as a stupid question. . . etc

if you park down at the fishmarket,then its only a few mins walk up the hill to herbertstrasse and the rest of it.the plus point of that would be you will never notice the smell in the morning assuming you had a right good night .there may be a mad mental security guard with an English bull terrier sitting in a shed at the carpark…bung him a Cpl quid and he will be your best mate…he smokes megaskunk joints,and carries a automatic pistol whilst out of his ■■■■ on weed.it may be good advice to stay on his good side though ive not been there for a Cpl years now.you may notice more after 8pm at night and if you dont want to shove someone away every 3 yards max,then just walk down the middle of the road,as they are not allowed to come out as far as that without getting lifted…and make sure you have a bandaid or good sticking plaster with you if you haven’t been before…within 20 mins your nose will be red raw from rubbing against the windows peeking in. :slight_smile:

If zee Polizei catch you one Kmph over zee limit , the punishment is shot at dawn or sent to the salt mines in Siberia for ten years, to break up boulders with a rock hammer .
Well , that is what the Dcpc instructor told me .

Franglais:
Maut ? Toll Collect ? I hope youre aware all about that if its your first visit to Germany in a truck?
A Beemer giving you a flash doesnt mean "OK, come on out" it means "IM COMING THROUGH".
General rule 90kph autobahns, 80kph the rest, except if lower and signed. 70kph single carriageway. 50kph towns. Beware of lots of “no overtaking for trucks” areas on autobahns, and differing speed limits for trucks, buses, and cars on the same section of the road.

^
\This
And before overtaking on Autobahns take a good long look in the mirror at approaching cars, Porshes ect doing 150+ are in the distance one second and past you the next!
A couple of hours on the right and getting used to road signs and you’ll be fine…safe travels… :wink:

Yatsay93:
Hi I’m currently on my first trip to Germany having never left the uk in a truck before I’m a little confused when it comes to single carriageway a the autobahn speed limits been trying to look online but hoping there is someone on here possibly switch logic that could help me out with in general European speed limits and rules been doing my research and just getting myself confused would prefer to hear from someone who has been driving abroad before currently parked up in hamburg until Monday morning any help would be much appreciated thanks in advances

According to Transport Friend Road Transport Operations Germany | Transports Friend
Built up area, 50 kms, Outside Built up area 60 kms, Motorways 80 kms.

I apologise. Seems I`ve got it wrong for the past coupla decades. Several sources agree on 80kph for autobahns etc. But just look at this (a whinging bit of defence by me):Travel speeds[edit]
The Federal government does not regularly measure or estimate travel speeds.[86] One study reported in a transportation engineering journal offered historical perspective on the increase in travel speeds over a decade, as shown below.

Parameters Year
(for light vehicles) 1982 1987 1992
Average (mean) speed 112.3 km/h (70 mph) 117.2 km/h (73 mph) 120.4 km/h (75 mph)
85th percentile speed 139.2 km/h (86 mph) 145.1 km/h (90 mph) 148.2 km/h (92 mph)
Percentage exceeding 130 km/h 25.0% 31.3% 35.9%
Source: Kellermann, G: Geschwindigkeitsverhalten im Autobahnnetz 1992. Straße+Autobahn,[87] Issue 5/1995.[88]

The Federal Environmental Office reported that, on a free-flowing section in 1992, the recorded average speed was 132 km/h (82 mph) with 51% of drivers exceeding the recommended speed.[88]

In 2006, speeds were recorded using automated detection loops in the State of Brandenburg at two points: on a six-lane section of A9 near Niemegk with a 130 km/h (81 mph) advisory speed limit; and on a four-lane section of A10 bypassing Berlin near Groß Kreutz with a 120 km/h (75 mph) mandatory limit.[3] The results are shown below:

Average[clarification needed] speed Autobahn cross-section
Speed regulation 130 km/h advisory 120 km/h mandatory
Vehicle class A9 (6 lanes) A10 (4 lanes)
Automobiles 141.8 km/h (88 mph) 116.5 km/h (72 mph)
Trucks 88.2 km/h (55 mph) 88.0 km/h (55 mph)
Buses 97.7 km/h (61 mph) 94.4 km/h (59 mph)
All vehicles 131.9 km/h (82 mph) 110.1 km/h (68 mph)

From Wikipedia. Note that on at least one section of road the trucks are averaging 88kph. No defence if youre the one caught, but seems Im not alone in that error of believing 90kph was the limit.

Franglais:

90km/h on the German Autobahn? I thought it was 80 (and 60 on single carriageways). When did that change?

IndigoJo:

Franglais:

90km/h on the German Autobahn? I thought it was 80 (and 60 on single carriageways). When did that change?

Yes and I`ve already apologised for my error which was corrected by Weeto.

Yatsay93:
Hi I’m currently on my first trip to Germany…

This might be useuful: transportsfriend.org/int/cou … rmany.html

On speed issue… should note that the Germans are not big on signs. Many towns do not have a sign marking the line between national speed limit and the 50k line. You’ll notice that the roads are good, country is clean and the Boxers are good drivers… obey the speed limits!!!

Jingle Jon:

Yatsay93:

On speed issue… should note that the Germans are not big on signs. Many towns do not have a sign marking the line between national speed limit and the 50k line. You’ll notice that the roads are good, country is clean and the Boxers are good drivers… obey the speed limits!!!

The 50km/h limit is denoted by the town sign as you enter a built up area and the national limit applies once you pass the town sign with the red line through it hence no 50km/h signs

mazzer:

Jingle Jon:

Yatsay93:

The 50km/h limit is denoted by the town sign as you enter a built up area and the national limit applies once you pass the town sign with the red line through it hence no 50km/h signs

That’s handy to know… wondered how the foxtrot people knew exactly where to slow down :smiley: Not that it’s likely to effect me… strictly domestic these days.

If you drive at 90km/h on the Autobahns you won’t get any trouble in fact I’d say 95% of German trucks travel at that speed and faster depending on time of day/night,at night I regularly get passed by DHL drawbars etc travelling above 90km/h.
If you drive like a local I’ve found the BAG and Police won’t bother you,it’s the Poles etc driving at 80km/h that cause the problems especially when your in a no overtaking section,causes a lot of frustration and accidents on the A2 and I’m not being a racist etc as when you drive along the A2 to Berlin,the pictures of smashed up trucks driving up each other’s back end that are posted next to the motorway are all in Polish,says it all.

I love Germany,its one of my favourite countries as long as I’m parked up by 3pm lol!

Thanks for all you’re help I’m a little wiser now just taking it steady this trip and hope to be out of Germany around midday tomorrow as I’ll be reloading out of Holland I believe for the uk going into towns I don’t find a problem as have been out in france with cars vans etc so treat it the same slowing down towards towns the major thing I’m still unclear about is max speed on single carriageway as my sat navigation saying 60kmh which I think is too slow as trucks pile up behind very quickly and don’t seem to like sitting at that speed once any thanks for every bit of advice

Yatsay93:
Thanks for all you’re help I’m a little wiser now just taking it steady this trip and hope to be out of Germany around midday tomorrow as I’ll be reloading out of Holland I believe for the uk going into towns I don’t find a problem as have been out in france with cars vans etc so treat it the same slowing down towards towns the major thing I’m still unclear about is max speed on single carriageway as my sat navigation saying 60kmh which I think is too slow as trucks pile up behind very quickly and don’t seem to like sitting at that speed once any thanks for every bit of advice

The best way to play the single carriageways when unsure is to pull over let a local go past then tag on behind him, the Germans announce in advance where the speed traps are going to be through the press and local radio so you should be safe enough behind someone.

I’ve been thinking I’ll try and tag behind a local

Just don’t confuse the speedo will be hard to adapt to driving in KMH…