Road trip to Germany

Alrite Drive…

Hopefully a quick and easy question for you guys…

I’m due to take a load from UK to Germany shortly (Berlin), have never driven a truck in Europe before, but there is a first time for everything!!!

What do I need to take or be wary of…

I know about the German “No-HGV Days”, but more importantly, what paperwork do I need etc, kit do I have to carry…? Best way to pay the tolls etc - I’ve asked the same of the Ops / Transport manager of the firm I’m doing the job for, but thought I’d ask for advice from the front-line (as you probably know better!!!)

Many thanks in advance!!!

There is a sticky thread at the top of the euro forum. All you need is there.

hope all goes well i loved germany, good roads, food, parking etc, (had a few long traffic jams but usually ok). never had probs with people or loads. most parking that charge take same amount off food just to stop easterns jamming up the place. try to speak german if nothing else it makes them laugh. pay the toll (maut) its hundreds of euros cheaper, and even when you pay the fine on the day they can up it through the post. i dont know every thing but feel free to pm me.

STAU is not a destination…

Enjoy!

hotel magnum:
hope all goes well i loved germany, good roads, food, parking etc, (had a few long traffic jams but usually ok). never had probs with people or loads. most parking that charge take same amount off food just to stop easterns jamming up the place. try to speak german if nothing else it makes them laugh. pay the toll (maut) its hundreds of euros cheaper, and even when you pay the fine on the day they can up it through the post. i dont know every thing but feel free to pm me.

+1 always enjoying driving through Germany - a very big country with huge motorway network plus plenty of Autohof (truckstop) & serivces station and rest place not like here! beware - better parking before 5-6pm due full up on almost every services or autohof! :open_mouth:

you will heading to Berlin so if you use Dover - Calais Ferry or Train - best route is
from Calais heading to Belgium A16/E40 corrider
continue driving through E40 Brugge then reach at Ghent interchange and get off to other motorway E17 toward to Antwerpen
(beware rush hours traffic) on Antwerpen ring & Kennedy Tunnel!
keep follow the motorway direction sign (Turnhout E34)
E34 - easy driving to Holland borders
Across the Holland to Germany via A67 Eindhoven (lovely new motorway interchange at Eindhoven)
When you reach to Holland & Germany borders and stop at parking area to buy LKW Maut (German Toll) at mobile hut near Zoll Customs building.
Enter Germany - A40 heading to Duisburg then reach the interchange and follow the sign for A3 Arnheim (Bottrop/Hannover A2)
(beware Ruhr Area could be busy & rush hour traffic - best thing is try to avoid on rush hours!)
You will pass A3/A2 Interchange then keep stay on same motorway - easy driving along the way to Berlin via Bielefled, Hannover and Magdeburg
A2 motorway are quite busy plus full 3 lanes x 2 - International traffic route from Holland to Moscow! (E30 European Route)

if you see motorway matrix say Stau mean traffic jam

If you r lost, just simple follow any of those Polish, Russian or Belarussian trucks and they will take you to Berlin! :laughing:

AlexWignall:
STAU is not a destination…

Enjoy!

You’re right it’s not, but the town of Ausfahrt is bloody huge. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Ashfart means exit! I thought for a day that I was on a circular around a city lol.

No overtaking means NO OVERTAKING > if in doubt follow the fully loaded eastern truck for 40kms…lol

personally i love Germany, food, parking (stop early, start early) is my motto.

Have fun…

make sure legs wound up fully and every pallet has a strap over it or could work out expensive… If not got auto toll pay for tolls at the boarder with Holland or at Astons of stop there and make sure you stick to it :slight_smile:

Won’t he need emissions sticker in windscreen if going into Berlin

russell2587:

should have sticker for all places in germany that has “umwelt” signs on motorway before exit

welshboyinspain:

russell2587:

should have sticker for all places in germany that has “umwelt” signs on motorway before exit

I never had one over there i thought was only for the mont blanc■■? not sure though so dont quote me lol

If he wishes to enter any places that come under
the Emission control,then yes he will require one for
his vehicle,

Thanks for the info etc, Ops guy does appear to have it all in hand - I hope!!!

Trip has grown from a simple run and drop in Germany, to drop, reload, and back via Rotterdam to collect an extra smaller load then back in UK - looking forward to it