Dangerous Test for cars

I have just watched a test for small cars on Men & motors & I had trouble believing it.
The test was to see if small cars have enough oompf to pass an Artic travelling at 56mph (sounds reasonable so far) however the object was to get passed the truck and cut in front of it and take the fast approaching next exit off a motorway, :imp: :imp: although the actual test was done on a track the idea was to simulate real motorway driving for this dangerous manoeuvre, even in their simulation of normal driving conditions the driver of the truck had to take evasive action to avoid hitting the first car in the test. I can just see all the young and impresionable drivers watching this and wondering if they should be able to do this manoeuvre with their cars.
I have already fired off my complaint to the TV company :imp: :imp: is this the way for a responsible driving program to act?

This is a copy of the complaint I have passed onto viewerr@bskyb.com

I have just watched the above program and am appalled by what I saw. I am a truck driver who constantly has to take evasive action because of other drivers bad driving practice, so imagine my horror when I saw a test for cars involving one of the most dangerous manoeuvres possible, ie cutting in front of a 44 ton truck doing 56 mph, then braking so that they can turn off a motorway, I have lost count of the number of times I have seen this very same manoeuvre cause accidents, even in your simulated test the first test caused the truck driver to take evasive action, and he was expecting the car to do the move, imagine if you can what would happen if this happened on a busy motorway and the driver was looking in his nearside mirror as the car pulled in front of him, even if he did notice the car he may have had to then brake so hard as to cause the truck to jack knife or worse, just to save your car driver one or two seconds you have risked the lives of everyone around them. What example is this to set to your viewers?

I hope you point out to all your viewers how dangerous this style of driving is and advise them not to try it themselves

I cant believe that they would actually use this as a testā€¦ are they off there rockersā– ā– ?. or just so plain gormless!!!.. :imp: :imp: :imp:

Keep us posted if they ever reply to youā€¦

I never saw it, but might just write in and complain anyway!!! :confused:

Remember the tanks that fell off the back of a lorry a while back on the M1, it was sussed out that this particular manouvre was what caused it, only I believe the car actually clipped the truck.
The car was going from lane 4 to lane 1 and the slip road in about 200 yards.

Did not see the program myself, but look in the paper was the program called ā€œDrivenā€, if so it is repeated again tomorrow at 13:30. if its the same one.

Dratsabasti:
Remember the tanks that fell off the back of a lorry a while back on the M1, it was sussed out that this particular manouvre was what caused it, only I believe the car actually clipped the truck.
The car was going from lane 4 to lane 1 and the slip road in about 200 yards.

I remember it was horrific. Did they find the car driver? If so have they been charged?

If I remember rightly, the car driver was charged with causing death by dangerous driving.

jimti:
This is a copy of the complaint I have passed onto viewerr@bskyb.com

Jimti

You could also put your point directly to Men & Motors via there website, they have a feedback form here

Might get a quicker response than going through Sky as it is a Granada channel.

Let us know if you get a response.

thanks Coffee I will pass it on to them directly

Could this be the same Men and Motors that came onto the old site and asked for our input into programmes involving trucks etc??

:imp: :imp: :imp:

cheers
STEVE.

ATKIG11:
Could this be the same Men and Motors that came onto the old site and asked for our input into programmes involving trucks etc??

:imp: :imp: :imp:

cheers
STEVE.

Hi steve, did we ever give them what they wanted then :question: if not maybe that is why they are teaching all the boy racers to cut us up!! TV is the great educator of our time after all :angry: :angry:

this is the reply I got from Men and motors, I canā€™t say I am happy about it, as the program never expresses to the viewers, who in my opinion are mainly young and easily influenced that this was just a ā€œtestā€ please look at the link for their description of why they think it was OK to show this test

Jim,

Thanks for getting in touch with men&motors.

Driven had been previously shown on ā€˜Channel 4ā€™ and the section you mention did receive several complaints by various members of the public. However, the item was deemed to be within the broadcasting guidelines and we took the decision to show the episode uncut.

For more information about the ruling regarding this episode please take a look at this webpage:

ofcom.org.uk/static/archive/ ā€¦ d=506.html

If you have any further queries then please let me know.

Thanks,

Andrew Morgan

Production & Communications Co-ordinator

Please do let him know

Officially Britainā€™s Number One Motoring Channel

Now Showing Motoring Programmes From 11am to 11pm - 7 Days a Week

www.menandmotors.co.uk

As bad as I think Men & Motors was for showing the program, at least they replyed to my complaint, I also passed on my desgust to a number of other motoring organisations, including BRAKE, and they appear to be completely unconcerned, (I havenā€™t heard from any of the others) I cant help but wonder if this is because they all think we are the problem on their roads and are only concerned about car drivers unless we can be blamed for the car drivers problems, call me a cynic if you like, but why else would this sort of programing be allowed to be screened, I bet if it was a truck trying the same manouvre there would be an outcry by Brake, Damm, the AA and RAC, but then we are the " big bad wolf" as far as the chattering classes are concerned

sounds like these people went to the same school of journolism as the muppets that work on one of the bike mags taking pictures from the pillion whilst the rider was rolling a ā– ā– ā–  with both hands ā€¦doing 190 mph yes 190

If I remember rightly, Driven used to do this to every car they tested. Now that ive read it used to be on channel 4 I remember it. Mike Brewer was the main presenter, It was called the time exposed to danger I think. And whats worrying is that some of the smaller low powered cars didnt make it and hit the cones!! If anyone has the correct info please put me straight on this because Im feelin a bit bemused by this now!!

Regards

Kev

got a reply from RoSPA who have passed it onto their road safety dept.
I await the results with baited breath