Most surreal moment

Several years back I was heading Northbound on the M6, fully loaded to 38T, it was foggy and early, about 3.30am.

I came upon some warning signs, pre overhead / mobile / flashing/ matrix stuff stating that the inner lane was open and the two outer lanes closed. I accordingly stayed in the inner lane ( as I was anyway) and trundled on relatively unconcerned.

All of a sudden I was faced with a wall of cones. The sign had been set up wrongly or interfered with and in reality the two inner lanes were closed and only the outer one open. I had one of those moments when your heartbeat just about doubles and swung my double drive Foden hard right, not a movement it approved of.

Luckily I only skittled a handful of cones and managed to get her in line ok. I was just feeling a little relieved when through the fog I saw two stationery red lights. AsI had already killed a lot of my modest to begin with speed I managed to stop which was really the only option I had.

I put the hazards on, got out and was joined by a MAN driver who had suffered the same experience as myself. In front of us was a white Transit panel van, on its side, wheels still spinning, obviously having failed to negotiate the surprise chicane. We walked up to it opened the side door and out climbed about seven slightly dazed and confused Pakistani gentlemen.

The van was righted and pushed to the hard shoulder, we climbed into our cabs and off we went. Its amusing to relate but could have been very nasty.

:open_mouth:

I was driving through roadworks on the M42 sthbound a couple of years back. It was single lane & there was no-one else about. In the distance I spotted a couple of earie red & white lights. They seemed to be getting closer :open_mouth: I slammed on the brakes and skidded to a stop. It was a car reversing back through the roadworks. I sat there shocked for a moment and the car drove off.

Very strange, especially at 3 o’clock in the morning.

I posted this story on the motorcycle website I visit.

Coming home from work the other night, midweek for a change.

It was dark and fairly heavy rain, I thought I was following or catching a slow vehicle over Swarkestone Bridge.

I suddenly realised this foolish biker coming towards me had some red headlight covers over his lights, giving a red light to the front.

I can imagine the bang if I had pulled out to overtake him :open_mouth: