Apprentiships/hairdressing

my girls been offered a apprentiship as a hair dresser , shes finally got her way , not what i wanted her to do but if shes happy thats the main thing -but
its 4 days a week
wed
thurs
fri
sat
34 hrs p.w and i think the other days would be college, now the wage is 50 pounds p.w [ about 1.50 a hour] , is that right :question: , what about the minium wage, i understand shes a apprentice and all the training is at his expence but 1.50 p.h sounds awfully low to me or is there a set rate or scheme wherby apprentices are paid less.
note- he did ask sian before she took it if she could live on that wage and whether her dad would support her,

From 1 October 2006, the Employment Equality (Age) regulations abolished the Older Workers Development Rate and remove the age limit on the apprenticeship exemption.

16 and 17 year olds rate
The Government accepted the Low Pay Commission’s recommendations for a new rate for 16 and 17 year olds (above compulsory school leaving age)* in their 2004 report.

£3.00 per hour from 1 October 2004. This increased to £3.30 in October 2006 and £3.40 on 1 October 2007.

NB: 16 and 17 year old apprentices are exempt from the young workers rate.

taken from here
dti.gov.uk/employment/pay/na … index.html

thanks b.m , ill look into it, but shes so keen on doing it i think shell do it whatever the wage , hopefully one day shell own a few salons in london and pay me back a bit for bankrolling her for a few years :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

My daughter started on this trail, 10 years ago.

As an apprentice, the money was diabolical.
As a new stylist, with none of her own customers, the money was diabolical.
As an established stylist, with a large customer base who follow her from shop to shop and pay whatever it costs,
the money is diabolical but the tips more than make up for it.

She’s just been offered the position of assistant manager.

I did an apprenticeship as a junior financial analyst for £61 a week at 42hrs (7 years ago)
So yes I’d say the money is about right.

However, within 6 months I was given a Analyst’s role, and within 2 more years I was a senior Analyst earning £31k plus an expenses account, where as university graduates were joining the company and earning 15k and taking 5 or six years to get into any position of responsibility.

Apprenticeships are the way to go.

A lot of money in hair styling if she’s a clever girl, definitely a serious career these days, not like of old.

Alex