Your opinion on pay

ok, heres one for everyone to go at. who prefers what, per hour pay or salary??

I always like to be paid by the hour.A salary is like a piece of string, how long are the hours?25.000 a year for class one sounds good, but not if you are doing 60 hours plus a week, when you can get 10 pounds an hour and time and a half after 8 or 10 hours.

I prefer salaried espcially if the job is job and knock, I dont like hourly pay as it means I need to do more hours to earn the money.

I,ve been paid a weekly salary for the last two years and it suits me, of course it all depends on how much you get for how many hours, I,ve not booked a single minute of POA in those two years as theres no point, If my average hours are getting over the agreed amount I get some short days or even a day off, If my hours are below the agreed amount I might get some longer runs. Holiday is exactly the same as a week at work, Knowing exactly how much is going into the bank every week helps you to manage your budget too as there are no bad weeks!

Knowing exactly how much is going into the bank every week helps you to manage your budget too as there are no bad weeks!

Couldn’t agree with you more. It’s nice to know how much money will go in the bank every month.

Salary for agreed basic hours, overtime if you exceed them at a pro rata hourly rate and a half.

That’s best if you ask me.

Forget overtime, go for a decent basic rate for 48 hours, unless you like working 60-65 hours a week. the reason alot of companies can get away with paying £7 an hour is because drivers are the last profession willing to do loads of overtime even though we are legally bound to do no more than an average of 48 hours work a week.

xray:
who prefers what, per hour pay or salary??

I prefer the opposite to the one the boss wants you on. You’ll always find thats better, for you.

If SAFETY is paramount then hourly pay - If safety is not your first priority (which it should be!) and money is, then it is probably salary

Andyroo:
Salary for agreed basic hours, overtime if you exceed them at a pro rata hourly rate and a half.

Same as,
I am on a 40 hour salaried week so dont have to kill myself for the overtime.

hourly everytime, you get paid what you do , not 15 hrs work for 10 hrs pay, and as for job and finish unless your boss is stupid when you get the done early they normally find you that 1 hr job that turns into 3/4 .there is some good job and finish jobs out there but also some stinkers.
hourly pay for me,plus hourly pay you can take your time within reason wheras job and finish your on a mission from start to finish , 10 mile overtakes to get back 5 mins earlier etc.

I used to drive a tanker for ■■■■ Turpin Transport (name changed to protect the guilty.) That business about “average” hours was called “annualised” hours. In practice, it meant that you had to keep your eye on the hours and wage slips for a whole year. :smiling_imp: “■■■■” paid a fair day’s pay for a fair week’s work, so I voted with my feet.

28000 salery 48hrs decent cant beat it

How is hourly pay safer than salary, where I work I,m happy taking my time and doing a single run in a ten hour day, taking proper breaks, whereas an agency worker who is paid hourly will race back to depot to get a second run and do 15 hours probably tipping on break, so whos the biggest risk, me having steady run all day or hourly paid agency worker racing around all day to do two runs?
I dont see how ROG thinks working 60 hours is safer than only 48 hours. Its not job and finish as ADY seems to think,instead of encouraging drivers to rush about it has the opposite effect, we try to make the job last as long as possible to get our hours in with doing the least possible work. I dont have to put it on POA every time the wheels stop turning so I can do lots of “overtime”.

B1 GGK:

Andyroo:

Same as,
I am on a 40 hour salaried week so dont have to kill myself for the overtime.

Well I’m on 44.5 which includes every other saturday morning, the money could be better but it’s ok. Overtime means if you get back half an hour late once in a blue moon you get paid for it.

But yeah, I think with this system as long as you’re happy with the basic and happy with the overtime you are getting (or not getting) at least you never lose…you’ll never be rushed (as long as they can plan routes properly) or working for free.

mikermhh:
How is hourly pay safer than salary, where I work I,m happy taking my time and doing a single run in a ten hour day, taking proper breaks, whereas an agency worker who is paid hourly will race back to depot to get a second run and do 15 hours probably tipping on break, so whos the biggest risk, me having steady run all day or hourly paid agency worker racing around all day to do two runs?
I dont see how ROG thinks working 60 hours is safer than only 48 hours. Its not job and finish as ADY seems to think,instead of encouraging drivers to rush about it has the opposite effect, we try to make the job last as long as possible to get our hours in with doing the least possible work. I dont have to put it on POA every time the wheels stop turning so I can do lots of “overtime”.[/quote

as my working week includes sunday at gar 11 hrs at 7.82 an hour or86 p.h i dont want to be doing a min more than i have too ,why i would want to take my time and string it out for the full 11 hrs on a sunday i dont know .at least if i can get a move on ,10 mile overtakes etc i might get done in 9 hrs and earn 9.55 p.h .
wheras the agency driver i was working with last sunday seemed to want to drive everywhere at 30 mph, never mind 40 , 47 mph on the m180 :open_mouth: , well he was on hourly pay x2 .
yes ias i said ther is some good job and finish jobs but i know who looks more relaxed when you look at a hour man and a job and finish man at the end of the shift and it aint the job and finish bloke

the other point is reading alot of posts is some get o/t if they go over there hours , wheras i dont , so if i took my time and got held up and ended up doing a 15 hr shift on a sunday id be on 5.73 p.h on a sunday as i dont get o/t i just get good and bad days so im told . so drivers on the same as me push the limits to get done as quick as possible wheras if i was on hourly x2 id have a nice steady day :wink:

Getting paid a weekly salary is not job and finish, I,m contracted to work 48 hours a week, monday to friday, The management are not dumb, If I cut the job up and only do 40 hours I,m 8 hours under my hours, so the next week i,m going to be getting some long runs to bring my average back up. There is no point me rushing about, I,m the one doing 52mph in lane one not the overtaking 56mph in lane 2 all day!

ah i see what you mean you are paid 48 so have to do 48, wheras im paid 55 but as soon as im done im done [ even though there trying to get near the 55 .
i would still feel more relaxed on hourly pay , maybe thats just me . did a agency job the other week and just enjoyed doing the job at sensible pace , just a nice steady day up to normall , so i still prefer hourly but maybe the right salary job id feel different

I think the kind of firm that pays a set amount for job and finish is probaby the kind of firm that’s most likely to muck you around and keep you running long hours and rushing all the way anyway.

On my short lived multi-drop pallet job the money was x amount per week, job and finish. That meant 12 hours a day chasing your own backside while they kept ringing you to collect stuff before you’d got the drops off. Most of their requests for me to do something were preceded by some variation of a swear word too.

I tried the job at my normal pace, slow and steady and taking a proper break and it couldn’t be done.

The job I’ve got now is fine, no rush and not too much hassle, the thing that pees me off slightly is that the other boys rush and it makes me look useless to a certain extent (but i don’t have 9 points on my licence like one of them).