Your in-cab technology

Just wondered what you lot have in your cab? Was in Tesco today and was looking at the Kindle Fires etc. Got me thinking which is best? I was thinking a laptop but then again you wouldn’t want to be carrying it around everywhere if you had to leave the cab. Thats where the tablets come into it, but then again they tend to be much smaller and probably not as able as a laptop.

What do you have? What works best for you? I made a poll but I don’t know how successful it will be or even if I’ve got everything on there :blush:

Anyway, enjoy!

I have an iPad,
Can watch TV from it off BBC iplayer etc, use the Internet , buy apps and use iTunes for when the radio gets to the boring hours.

I have 2/3 nights out a week and this by far the Best thing I bought , I simply pay for it monthly for the Internet etc , same as a phone contract.
Also have a TV / DVD combi but rarely gets used now. :sunglasses:

iPad 3 with sky go on it,lappy with 2 external hard drives with all my movies,tv shows etc on :sunglasses: ,with an edifier which turns the lappy into a sort of surround sound system.

Got a dab radio with USB and an iPod touch with all my music and Howard stern shows on.

Oh and a tv with free view on it. :wink:

I like my gadgets :grimacing: :grimacing:

Been thinking about getting a tablet. Saw yesterday that three are soon going to be doing the google nexus 7 3G with 15gb for £15.99 a month. No launch date yet but gonna go for it when they do launch as I pay £15 a month for 3gb on the dongle.

I’ve got a copy of Razzle and some kitchen towel.

Firstly, the flippin stupid MiSharp gadget the boss makes me swear at on a regular basis.

Then there are my toys.

Kindle 3g for the books.
Laptop for the movies and also for running my website from.
Mobile Phone for the music/Mobile Hotspot
FM Transmitter for the running of it all through the shockingly rubbish Renault speakers.

There is little in the way of security concerns with any of it too. The black colored roof storage bin on the Renault Premium is both laptop sized and lockable.

I only do occasional nights out but the laptop is the only excessive bit of kit, and I need to carry that for the journalism anyways. Im thinking about getting a reasonably priced tablet for keeping in the cab with the kettle I added to my bunk of tricks last night. Its getting more and more like home now.

Harry Monk:
I’ve got a copy of Razzle and some kitchen towel.

Ahh, you’re oldskool then. I deliver ■■■■ mags, not read 'em.

Ipad and iPhone, I tether the iPad to the phone for wifi (saves paying twice) and use it as per the guys above (inc Harry) :smiley:

Mi-fi is better than a tablet with built in mobile Internet, you can connect up to five devices at once to the Internet via wi fi, same deal from 3, 15gig a month for £15.99

Use the lappy a lot less since I got an ipad. Have got a wire I can plug it into the lorry radio for sound off it.

Also use it for sat-nav and streetview on the google maps app is incredibly useful. Kind of forget once upon a time I had to drive around looking for addresses. These days can usually make sure I’m coming from the best direction to reverse. If google maps had bridge heights that would be the icing on the cake - you can obviously read them off street view usually but time consuming and not ideal.

I wish there was some service where you could send them all your DVD collection and they would put it all on external hard-drives as divx files or something like that.

Use RAC traffic on the iphone as well.

I’m not fully up to speed with technology but I have bought my wife something called an I-ron for Christmas. :wink:

Harry Kyng:
Ipad and iPhone, I tether the iPad to the phone for wifi (saves paying twice) and use it as per the guys above (inc Harry) :smiley:

I did that originally but got a separate sim for the ipad and it seems quite a lot faster and is a bit less hassle.

Got an iPad which I use a lot (like now), mobile phone, laptop with dongle as I like mixing new CDs occasionally with 2 500Gb hard drives.

Got a TV too.

5-6 six nights out week in and week out so home from home.
Android phone.
Net book hooked up to 7" usb monitor in dash, run a few nav apps and provides internet via phone.
19" tv, sky box with multiroom card and semi auto dish fixed to roof.
Oh and a battery low voltage alarm!

Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 is by far the best value tablet. It’s virtually the same as an iPad but for half the price. If you go onto Tesco Directs site they are selling them on there with 16gb for £230 at the moment. The only reason I use my laptop now is to make new CD’s. The 1 and only problem with the Samsung tab is that whilst you can watch Sky and BBC TV on it you cannot watch ITV on it as the ITV player people are rubbish basically !

I only do 1 or 2 nights out every couple of weeks or so my tech is limited I just don’t see the point in spending all that cash at the minute, what I do have though, is a mid-range Android phone for maps, company info, and general internet usage(and phone calls!) and an MP3 player with some high quality headphones to listen to my DJing mixes what I record and drown the noises out from outside whilst I’m laid on the bunk. I may invest in a kettle though :grimacing:

IPad & Mi-Fi… so everything’s available. Internet, email, video, iPlayer and of course, ■■■■!

Tarrman:
Just wondered what you lot have in your cab? Was in Tesco today and was looking at the Kindle Fires etc. Got me thinking which is best? I was thinking a laptop but then again you wouldn’t want to be carrying it around everywhere if you had to leave the cab. Thats where the tablets come into it, but then again they tend to be much smaller and probably not as able as a laptop.

What do you have? What works best for you? I made a poll but I don’t know how successful it will be or even if I’ve got everything on there :blush:

Anyway, enjoy!

Persoanlly i would have the macbook air (already have the macbook pro and imac). It has more options than the ipad so i could work on logic pro while sat in RDC’s etc plus it has the same battery life as the ipad (10 hours) and i have a Eye TV dongle which picks all DTV channels up to save on data! plus you have a lot more control on the air as well compared the the ipad. HTH

drummerkev:

Tarrman:

Anyway, enjoy!

Persoanlly i would have the macbook air (already have the macbook pro and imac). It has more options than the ipad so i could work on logic pro while sat in RDC’s etc plus it has the same battery life as the ipad (10 hours) and i have a Eye TV dongle which picks all DTV channels up to save on data! plus you have a lot more control on the air as well compared the the ipad. HTH

EDIT it also weighs just little more than the ipad as well! AND has more memory. TBH its the thinking mans ipad!

Don’t do nights out anymore but when I did, cab kettle and stove was all I needed.
Was glad to get away from rubbish TV and have a peaceful night reading “books” and stuff :wink: