Your first bump

Well basically I was reversing into a spot at a services… baring in mind I’m a newbie, a blind side probably wasn’t the best idea, anyway in the end I gave up on the spot because I couldn’t get it right…as I drove off to find something more suited to my level, I heard a beep. didn’t really think much of it till about 10 minutes down the road and thought zb! I may have hit the side of him. If there is any damage I doubt there is much as I would have hit the 7.5 tonner around his box area… Suppose I’ll find out if the office ring tomorrow haha! Feel like a right knob cos I didn’t stop and look. I’d imagine hit and run doesn’t exactly look good :frowning:. Any advice on what to do?

Any of you remember your first bump?

Is this something that happens fairly often? I’d imagine so!

Do you old timers still get the odd bump or are you just masterful wizards you blind side into everything in one go? [emoji15]

Cheers for all the advice so far on things guys.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

My thoughts

The vehicle you was in…did it have the companies name and phone number on the side… I’m sure if you had hit another vehicle, you’d have been called into the office & bollocked already…

Failing that you could always call the local fuzz and find out if its been reported or the manager of the services you was at…

Bit selfish doing one without checking, i hope you get caught! :unamused: :unamused:

Umm only has the name on the front of the truck and that’s it… And this happened probably about 5 hours ago and I’m out tonight so I suppose I’ll wait and see if I get a phone call tomorrow from the office. Doing really well on my 8 week trial of my first driving job haha!

Dozy reincarnated! :open_mouth:

Do even better if you had stopped and checked instead of doing 1 and hoping,look good if someone from your new place was on here and saw our post trying to hide it.
It takes seconds to check and know your ok,work might put it down to ou being new if u had checked and reported it but doing 1 won’t help your case for a permanent job.

Hahah, dammit not dozy :frowning:. Ah well thought I’d post all my trails and tribulations as I’m always willing to take all advice! Even if it makes me look like a plonker lol

Did you notice / has your vehicle sustained any damage when you did your end of day checks ?

The beep might of been just to warn you that you were likely to hit something if you carried on, try not to get paranoid about it!
The trailers are quite robust so if you gave it a bit of a nudge then the damage is likely to be very minimal and if you hit the cab then I think the beep might have been longer and more obvious, so try not to worry.
As a newbie you are going to make mistakes, I did, and if most folk are being honest they will also admit the same, unless they are one of the HGV gods.

Swampey2418:
Did you notice / has your vehicle sustained any damage when you did your end of day checks ?

Did my what?

I can’t see any damage or anything around the back of the trailer at all. I would’ve got out and looked day trunker but didn’t really think I’d done anything till I thought about it! I’ll happily accept any consequences and learn from my mistakes. Just feel like a right knobber lol.

the nodding donkey:

Swampey2418:

Did my what?

You know, when you pressed the button next to 1! :wink:

the nodding donkey:

Swampey2418:

Did my what?

See that makes the difference between a steering wheel attendant and a true professional…lol

I once had the office phone me,“did you take the wing mirror off of a car this afternoon”.I said dont think so,but it turned out that I had.There was no mark on the vehicle and I honestly heard and felt nothing.Obviously try not to hit anything but zb happens in the driving game.

My first bump. Ripped the bottom step off a wagon driving it down a wall. Made a mess of the side of a Stobies cab in Asda Erith.

I was in a puddle jumper and pulled towards the lockup where I needed to tip. Bloke came out (who apparently wasn’t going to be there to help me tip, but the product needed to go straight into the vans for the area), said “Turn around”. I backed it up being all cocky, thought I’d get it around in one go, just as a I thought “Man this turning circle is bad” I looked in the offside mirror, car, crunch. “Oh dear.” Tried to drive off, 2 big blokes came over :blush:. Had to go apologise to the owner of the BLOODY CAR DEALERSHIP, who span me the sob story that an old bloke was coming to look at it because he didn’t have a car to get around. Coming a while away with his son. I think he expected a down payment, I just kept apologising and eventually walked out and ■■■■■■ off home.

Got back and surprised the woman getting in by telling her I did Newcastle and back with no night out :laughing: Don’t know what they expected…

raxore:
Well basically I was reversing into a spot at a services… baring in mind I’m a newbie, a blind side probably wasn’t the best idea, anyway in the end I gave up on the spot because I couldn’t get it right…as I drove off to find something more suited to my level, I heard a beep. didn’t really think much of it till about 10 minutes down the road and thought zb! I may have hit the side of him. If there is any damage I doubt there is much as I would have hit the 7.5 tonner around his box area…

To be honest, and there is nothing you can do it about it now, but you would be surprised how little strength there is in the side of a box body. As you were attempting a tricking manoeuvre, by your own admission, it would have been sensible to have checked as soon as you heard the beep.

raxore:
Is this something that happens fairly often? I’d imagine so!

Imagine that you need to set your sites a little higher, yes bumps and scrapes do happen, but it shouldn’t be a regular thing, you will get a name for yourself if you make it that way :wink:

raxore:
Any of you remember your first bump?

Yes, but I’m not telling anyone :blush:

raxore:
Do you old timers still get the odd bump or are you just masterful wizards you blind side into everything in one go? [emoji15]

A one go blind side is only for when one feels like showing off, I normally add one shunt into the equation, just to stop onlooker feeling inadequate :wink:

raxore:
Any advice on what to do?

Going forwards into your career, allways fess up to anything no matter how insignificant. Build a reputation for being honest and up front, then when the inevitable happens, and some one else damages something, but tries to shift it to you, you can point to your habit/record of allways being up front with the bad news aswell as the good, and that will more often than not add weight to your innocence :wink:

My first one… I don’t believe in pussyfooting around, go large or go home! :smiley:

the maoster:
My first one… I don’t believe in pussyfooting around, go large or go home! :smiley:

at least you had the option of shooting any witnesses,is that a banana flavour party hat on the end of your wee gun■■? :slight_smile:

^^ That is an attachment when firing blanks