Youngs Transport

Another one has bite the dust, starting to wonder if any hauliers going to be left before long

Here`s a link

Worrying news for those employed there, but is there a falling off of work overall? Is this single company`s large job losses replaced by lots of other companies increasing a little? Was Felixstowe less busy last year?
An obvious upset for those workers affected, but will they not find more work in the area? Was that a good paying company, and other local jobs are worse, or about the same?

Ohh…5 **?**s.

Can’t really answer most of them questions franglais, its a firm based in grays i have seen many of time in my 35 years of transport.

It wiĺl end up with a few massive companies running the whole of the industry

It is a strange industry. Unlike petro-chemical companies you dont need much (relatively speaking) a lot of cash to start up. Some owner-operators do make big companies, some stay small or medium for years. Theyll be no shortage of road transport demand in the short term, but the shape of it is changing I think. Seems to be more cab swapping and trailer swapping than previously?

Knew about this one last Monday.

According to the news story description the core business doesn’t seem to have been linked to or dependent on general port container traffic.
But the comments, regarding the general hostile trading environment, seem to be ( deliberately ) skirting the elephant in the room of punitive costs being loaded onto the industry.In the form of fuel taxation, in addition to productivity limits in the form of gross vehicle weights and dimension limits, all with the stated aim of reducing the industry’s activities as much as possible in favour of rail freight.Obviously no sector of the industry will be immune from the effects of that policy.

If they happen to be EE’s more than likely a good chance in Southhampski.

Costs such as fuel tax are the same for all hauliers. Everyone has the weight/size laws. Some go pop some dont. The cancellation of HS2 means that freight will still be using the old crowded rail network. There wont be more rail capacity for freight nor passengers.
Enjoy the increasingly crowded road system all of you!

The RHAs reference to costs, obviously fuel being a massive proportion, was clearly referring to the industry as a whole.As opposed to rail freights use of red diesel to the point of using diesel locos in favour of electric for the resulting cost advantages.
Obviously some will have higher resources than others to withstand that hostile environment but none will be immune from all the predictable effects on profitability.
HS2 would just have been a bonus for the rail freight lot government policy has already given freight priority over passenger services as any regular long haul train passenger users would know.With massive growth in rail freight at the expense of road to prove it.
What the industry needs is an end to this country’s laughably pro rail biased transport policy in the form of access to realistically priced fuel.Also vehicle weights and types of which countries like Scandinavia and NZ take for granted.

So, get more freight off the rail, and onto our under used road system? Get 100 ton B triples merging onto the M4 at o8hrs00?
That`ll be a winning strategy, mate. Lorry drivers, car and bus users, will all applaud you.
In fact, I bet they will be holding street parties to celebrate such an idea. Should be safe enough as no traffic will be actually moving.

The reference to NZ and Scandinavian type kit obviously doesn’t mean ‘100 t B triple’ artics.
As for applause the anti road pro rail lobby will obviously all be celebrating in the streets when this laughably hamstrung, inefficient, unproductive, collapsing industry finally goes off the road.As opposed to screaming about a driver shortage and empty shelves.

Didn’t youngs get bought out by Turners last year!

Wouldn’t have thought so or they wouldn’t have gone under

The government set ambitious targets to grow rail freight by 75% by 2050.

I wonder if this news had anything to do with Youngs transport ? They’re putting on an extra 6 freight trains per day to & from Felixstowe port . :astonished:

"As recently announced through the Network North plan, the transformative Ely Area Capacity Enhancement scheme, backed by around £550 million of government funding, will see an extra 6 freight trains per day to and from the Port of Felixstowe – the equivalent of taking 98,000 lorry journeys off the road every year.

My target is to be a billionaire in the next five minutes…
I don`t have a credible plan to reach that target, but, Hey Ho!
https://committees.parliament.uk/committee/127/public-accounts-committee/news/199769/hs2-verdict-scheme-now-very-poor-value-for-money-after-northern-leg-cancellation/

It’s obviously a great policy …for those working in the rail industry.

times like this if you run on the red diesel can make All the difference . A while ago i was in Spalls breakers yard and Robert there showed me a truck hed towed in that had a fake fuel neck that ran into a small regular diesel tank while the proper tank had a concealed filler

Yes that used to go on years ago., get caught now doing it and the ■■■ would really hit the fan.

Oh yeah… Skip Police and DVSA, go directly to HMRC, whose powers to take what the company have in assets far outweighs the powers of the other two combined - HMRC can go back 20 years to recover money where fraud is suspected.