You cant use our toilet

jessicas dad:
lock the truck up in an inadequate position and trailer then wander off at a leisurely pace to asda, maybe do a bit of shopping then come back when your ready.

Mate of mine did something along those lines, was tipping at a Morrisons Store and the Manager was a old schoolmate of his,couldnt stand each other, so refused me mate the loo. Mate went walk about into the store went to bog, went up to Curries,had a nosey around and came back just over 2 hours later to be given a right rollocking, mate just had to ask the manager if his now wife had had the mole removed from near her pleasure dome`. Would love to have been a fly on that wall.

Rick B:

Rob K:
Only got yourselves to blame…

What type of sweeping statement is that! :imp: :imp:

I and along with thousands of other drivers treat facilities with respect. It is a minority who spoil it.

This blanket ban and all lorry drivers are the same malarkey needs kicking into touch - ban the people responsible :unamused: sign for a key etc I wouldn’t mind that.

Lay by ■■■■■■■ as well…no need really, service areas all over the place.

What he said! Except if you’ve gotta go in a lay-by, you’ve gotta go.

ROG:

mike68:
They have to let you use the toilets it comes under the health and safety at work act. If you can,t use their staff toilets they must provide alternative facilities.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/ … DG_4016686

I contacted the HSE Northampton office on this and they stated that there is no legal requirement for a company to let non employees use any of their facilities !!

The HSE stated that there is legislation in force for company employees.

Can anyone quote a law that is different to what they stated ■■

What the HSE have quoted to you is very broadly correct. What they have not told you is that an employer/or owner of premises where people are working has a duty of care to anyone working on their premises and providing toilet facilities is one of the dutys of care.

Agree with MikeC, as part of the duty of care any person visiting the premises on business has the same rights as employees, for the duration of there visit, it is the hosts companies responsibility to ensure the HEALTH and saftey of all on there premises.

mike68:
They have to let you use the toilets it comes under the health and safety at work act. If you can,t use their staff toilets they must provide alternative facilities.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/ … DG_4016686

HSE they must provide facilities if your on there site.
and if the facilities arent up to your standards phone HSE in front of them dont forget the time /date/name ,
if im sitting in a room with 16 drivers an 1 lav is what weve got ,there in the zb ;
1974 health and safety act on evrey wall you go to.

I totally agree with the duty of care statement and yes they should let you use toilets!!..

I have had this argument whilst working a gatehouse and the depot manager issuing an instruction for visiting drivers not to be allowed to use the toilets… with the gatehouse you are booking in a driver as a requested vistor as such of that company! so that company have the reponsibilty of that drivers health and safety whilst on site and this includes toilets… as a driver now I would do what scania says and phone HSE in front of them, requesting names ect…

I would’ve ■■■■■■ against the wall too, you can’t be refused a basic requirement, that’s the reason it’s legal for us to ■■■■ up the nearside wheel - although should be avoided and not required using common sense and stopping at services etc for a ■■■■.

Or, like the other guy said, ■■■■■■ in a bottle, but then the temptation to throw it at the guy would’ve been GREAT!

what if they refused you and you needed a number 2

:smiley:

Have any of you been to iceland livingstone, they have a sign up saying the facility for toilets for drivers has been removed due to damage to the toilets. There is a big padlock on the door aswell. Spent 3 hours there the other day just had a ■■■■ down the side of the wagon in their yard.

I’d try to get some on that padlock just so I could spend the rest of the day thinking about everyone who pops to the loo after. :laughing:

gogzy:

you need to ask robk on that one and mention nisa scunthorpe.

jessicas dad:

gogzy:

you need to ask robk on that one and mention nisa scunthorpe.

care to enlighten us RobK?

:stuck_out_tongue:

Big ■■■■:
Now is it legel to refuse me toilet time and can i report lenleys to anybody.

Your answer lies here i think…
Workplace health, safety
and welfare
A short guide for managers
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg244.pdf

People in control of non-domestic premises
have a duty (under section 4 of the Act) towards people who are not their
employees but use their premises. The Regulations expand on these duties and
are intended to protect the health and safety of everyone in the workplace, and
ensure that adequate welfare facilities are provided for people at work.

Mike-C:
What the HSE have quoted to you is very broadly correct. What they have not told you is that an employer/or owner of premises where people are working has a duty of care to anyone working on their premises and providing toilet facilities is one of the dutys of care.

Ah … I see… where is that written ? - the specific legislation that mentions toilets

ROG:

Mike-C:

Ah … I see… where is that written ? - the specific legislation that mentions toilets

Its in the link i posted just above. Go check.

I read the link but I cannot see where it specifically says that non-employees have the legal right to use the toilets - I must be either be going blind or it just aint there :blush: :laughing:

ROG:
I read the link but I cannot see where it specifically says that non-employees have the legal right to use the toilets - I must be either be going blind or it just aint there :blush: :laughing:

It does not say that non employees have a legal right, thats why i said they where broadly correct. Its does say that people who are working on the site have a right to the same Health Safety and welfare rights as any employees on site.

Welfare
Sanitary conveniences and washing facilities
Suitable and sufficient sanitary conveniences and washing facilities should be
provided at readily accessible places. They and the rooms containing them should
be kept clean and be adequately ventilated and lit. Washing facilities should have
running hot and cold or warm water, soap and clean towels or other means of
cleaning or drying. If required by the type of work, showers should also be
provided. Men and women should have separate facilities unless each facility is in
separate room with a lockable door and is for use by only one person at a time.

You may be going blind, i’ve an idea why. Just as an aside does it co incide with an aching right arm?

ROG:

ROG:

The second paragraph in page 1 tells you who the document covers and non-empoyees are included , page 6 under welfare relates to toilets.

You’re going blind.

Page 1

Employers have a general duty under section 2 of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 to ensure, so far as is reasonably practicable, the health, safety and welfare of their employees at work. People in control of non-domestic premises have a duty (under section 4 of the Act) towards people who are not their employees but use their premises. The Regulations expand on these duties and are intended to protect the health and safety of everyone in the workplace, and ensure that adequate welfare facilities are provided for people at work.

Page 6

Suitable and sufficient sanitary conveniences and washing facilities should be provided at readily accessible places. They and the rooms containing them should be kept clean and be adequately ventilated and lit. Washing facilities should have running hot and cold or warm water, soap and clean towels or other means of cleaning or drying. If required by the type of work, showers should also be provided. Men and women should have separate facilities unless each facility is in a separate room with a lockable door and is for use by only one person at a time.

Mike-C:
It does not say that non employees have a legal right, thats why i said they where broadly correct. Its does say that people who are working on the site have a right to the same Health Safety and welfare rights as any employees on site.

So in other words it is open to interpretation and not set in stone which is why certain companies are refusing drivers the use of them… I wonder if there is owt in the human rights laws… :wink: