Yorkshire Livestock Haulage Companies

Credit to Carl Spencer for the photo.
Oily

At Leeming Bar so fair chance it’s a Yorkshire wagon.
Oily

At Leeming Bar 2019.
Oily

Credit to Rab Lawrence for these photos.
Oily

Not Yorkshire - but similar

Since a kid I’ve always been interested in Livestock Haulage, which comes in handy when you’re from Yorkshire, because in my opinion we have some of the smartest run fleets in the country. So I plan to post some of my own photos (new and old) on this thread to substantiate my claim, and hopefully others will join in too.

The companies that initially spring to mind are:

Fred Greenwood & Son
Longthornes of Hebden
David Cooper Transport
Chris Waite

Just to name a few…

I’ll place my trump card down first with a photo of Fred Greenwood’s Scania R580 V8 (as featured in Truck & Driver Nov 2010). This for me is one of the best looking trucks on the road today, even more amazing considering the type of work it does.

Thanks for looking - :smiley:

Kind regards

Simon

Looking forward to these :smiley:

There are some lovely cattle haulage fleets all over the country, it’ll be interesting to see how this thread develops & runs alongside the Shrophire & Somerset Livestock haulage threads & I look forward to seeing some photos of the livestock vehicles in their working clothes.

BB

Hi,

You’re right BB there are, but as a proud Yorkshireman born and bred, please excuse my bias - :wink: .

Today’s offering - Chris Waite’s Foden ‘Big Cat’

Working photos to follow.

Kind regards

Simon

I was a regular visitor to West and North Yorks cattle markets in my school hols in the late 60’s and after leaving school for a while into the 70’s so here goes:

Billy Robinson Castleford

Tom Watson Sawley Did work for Woodheads and whose Retriever later went to Stanley Greenwood

Dobsons Bedale area possibly Barneston

Smiths Bedale (think)

Pickersgills Ripon

Jeff Morrow Silsden

Robison Bros Halifax

John Robinson Halifax[later driving for Stanley Greenwood]

Jimmy Robinson Bradford (Ex Ashworths driver and later for Stanley Greenwood]

Saxtons Elland/Stainland

Grasby Hull

Ron Holgate Stamford Bridge (think)

Brownbridge Pontefract

Bells Thirsk

Plowman Bros York

Ogdens Keighley [think]

Livsley [?] Northallerton

I cant think of any others or can but they had no name on the side so I dont know who they were/are. The ones I spoke to were always a decent and friendly bunch though. W.Swiers from Easingwold were meat wholesalers and I was looking round their Leyland Octupus which had a 30’ box, and was parked unlocked on the loading dock at Northallerton and my long gone Dad said jump in the drivers seat these lads wont mind.It was driven by a bloke called Maurice who the following year used the key from that to unlock our AEC when we were locked out{my fault }at Wetherby. As far as I know only Ripon and Bingley and one of the two at Northallerton [held on alternate Tuesdays] ,have’nt been redeveloped from the one’s I visited.

Happy to stand corrected on any of this of course

Hi Boden,

Great list, thank you very much.

My interest started with regular visits to Bingley on a Saturday as a kid with my grandad and uncle in the late seventies/early eighties.

Stanley Greenwood’s Volvos and John Penny’s Scanias always looked the part, as I looked on with a little envy as we loaded sheep on to my Grandad’s rather bruised and battered Leyland Super Comet.

Kind regards

Simon

Hi Truck Traveler
Like you I have been interested in livestock haulage since a kid. As a teenager I used to ride with a livestock carrier, I later worked for him part-time, followed by two years ful-time. I later had my own livestock wagon. Below are some more livestock hauliers. Pehaps some before your time.

Starting in Bradford
James Ashworth had a fleet of green AEC 6 wheelers.

Harry Shaw of Harden, Bingley, had blue wagons.

Jeff. Morrow of Silsden had red or brown wagons.

Walter Dibb of Gisburn had one blue Guy Otter.

Robinson & Haward of Slaidburn two geen wagons.

Ken Robinson of Hellifield one wagon.

Jim Parkin of Eldroth one blue Commer. Sold to Carter Dent, Settle.

Jim Pedley of Bentham had one Bedford and one ex-WD Thorycroft, Blue

Bob Cowin of Bentham had five brown wagons of variouse makes. taken over by son Archie.

Tommy Staveley of Ingleton ran one blue wagon with red stripe. Had Seddon, Commer, Albion and Leyland over the Years. Taken over by son Eric.

J W Morphet of Ingleton two green Austins. Then son Dennis, also tookover Eric Staveley’s

H C Bargh of Chapel-le-Dale, one blue wagon Leyland folowed by Ford, and Magirus. Sold to M R Jackson, Ingleton

Wm Metclfe from Hawes three wagon on livestock, later flats & curtan siders run by his sons & grandson.

Coward Bros. of Sedbergh three wagons I think.

Henry Mackereth from Sedbergh two green, one Leyland & 1Commer.

Most of these firms date back to the 1930’s
If I have got anything wrong please correct me.
My only regret is I did’nt take ony photos

Hello Truck Traveller

I know exactly what you are saying. Before the AEC we had a Morris 7tonner [carrying capacity] and I was always looking with a certain amount of envy at the heavy metal that used to be parked up.I remember stretching on tip toes to look through the windscreen of a tilt-cab Super Comet that was always at Bingley,I cant remember whose, but another one I recall is Wades from Northallerton who had Park Royal cabbed AEC Mercury on a F plate a few years after they had switched to Tilt Cabs, the driver said it was a cancelled Export order and only differed in having a stronger front axle but I have never been able to find out anymore. As late as 1970 a 1950’s type Albion with the old type open topped body used to visit Pannal.The Swiers Leyland I mentioned remains the most impressive wagon I have ever seen though Wharfe Bros from Mossley had one similar albeit with the top deck closed in which was fairly rare then.

Hi Dalesman/Boden,

Thanks for sharing some of your memories; that’s exactly what I was hoping for.

Ken Robinson is my great uncle, and it was him and my grandad (Stanley), plus my uncle (Andrew) that I would go to Bingley with.

From memory they owned a Commer Maxiload, AEC Mercury, Leyland Super Comet and Leyland Clydesdale (so not the most impressive line up - but ones that for me hold some very special memories).

I don’t have many photos of these wagons, but what I do have I will post later.

Kind regards

Simon

Dalesman:

There’s a bloke called Roy Mackereth (presumably the son) who shows a huge collection of 1/50 scale cattlewagons in that livery at Gaydon every year.

Wow, what a mine of information cropping up here! Where were Brocklesbank’s from with two tone blue and White livery IIRC? They also ran tippers who were regular visitors to the quarry adjacent to my grandfather’s farm near Halifax

Hi jj72
Roy is Henry Mackereth’s son, he drove one of the wagons.

Truck traveler, Did Ken & Stan take over Walter Dib’s business after he died? Also did they sell it onto Tom Kinder from Mere Beck, as he ran a cattle wagon at one time?

Regards

Showing my age now but I can remember going to school in about 1958 and one of my classmates sometimes used to get picked up by her dad in a cattle truck belonging to James C Ashworth.

Here’s one to begin, Robisons of Halifax at Banbury.

Dalesman:
Hi Truck Traveler
Like you I have been interested in livestock haulage since a kid. As a teenager I used to ride with a livestock carrier, I later worked for him part-time, followed by two years ful-time. I later had my own livestock wagon. Below are some more livestock hauliers. Pehaps some before your time.

Starting in Bradford
James Ashworth had a fleet of green AEC 6 wheelers.

Harry Shaw of Harden, Bingley, had blue wagons.

Jeff. Morrow of Silsden had red or brown wagons.

Walter Dibb of Gisburn had one blue Guy Otter.

Robinson & Haward of Slaidburn two geen wagons.

Ken Robinson of Hellifield one wagon.

Jim Parkin of Eldroth one blue Commer. Sold to Carter Dent, Settle.

Jim Pedley of Bentham had one Bedford and one ex-WD Thorycroft, Blue

Bob Cowin of Bentham had five brown wagons of variouse makes. taken over by son Archie.

Tommy Staveley of Ingleton ran one blue wagon with red stripe. Had Seddon, Commer, Albion and Leyland over the Years. Taken over by son Eric.

J W Morphet of Ingleton two green Austins. Then son Dennis, also tookover Eric Staveley’s

H C Bargh of Chapel-le-Dale, one blue wagon Leyland folowed by Ford, and Magirus. Sold to M R Jackson, Ingleton

Wm Metclfe from Hawes three wagon on livestock, later flats & curtan siders run by his sons & grandson.

Coward Bros. of Sedbergh three wagons I think.

Most of these firms date back to the 1930’s
If I have got anything wrong please correct me.
My only regret is I did’nt take ony photos

Hi Folks,
One of J.W.Morphet’s

Cheers Malc.

Hiya Malc,Interesting thread about cattle haulage.As a boy I was brought up in a village called Ireby in north ■■■■■■■ and the firm of A.D. Boyes ran firstly two cattle trucks,A Beaver and a Comet and then they were granted another A licence and ran a third,a Trader.Along with many other livestock hauliers the work dried up as farmers got their own Landrovers and trailers and A.D. Boyes moved into long distance flat transport.As a lad I spent hours travelling all over in the three motors,lapped it up!!! I got my first two A licences off Tommy Coward at Sedbergh and from memory Coward Bros.ran 6 or 7 motors in their heyday,they still had a couple running after I got the two and IIRC a chap who had a filling station in the middle of Sedbergh(can’t re-call his name) took over the other motors and what was left ofthe cattle buisness.I think the last motor Coward Bros. ran was an a Guy Otter with a Gardner 4 LK engine they called the driver Tony ? and Tommy Coward kept it running until Tony retired in '69/70 IIRC.then he retired himself.Cheers Dennis.