Yet Another Invertor Question

if i buy a 600w inverter like this one

cgi.ebay.co.uk/24V-DC-to-AC-Main … m153.l1262

how do i get the wires in to the cab?

i know it connects directly to the battery via the crocodile clips but what is the best way to run the cables?
bearing in mind i will be swapping wagons most weekends so it cant be hard wired in and needs to be able to be installed and removed quickly (i dont want to be messing around for hours getting it sorted everytime!

can you buy/make ‘extension’ cables for them to allow it to come in through the sunroof/window/side locker when parked up or is there a ‘secret’ way of doing it so it can power things like my laptop for music not movies (i’m not from the czech republic or poland) while on the move (plus if my laptop is powered up i dont need to worry about the 24v socket for the tomtom and phone charger, they can run off the laptop)

any advice hints or tips are appreciated and maybe a picture of your setup if you can to give me a better idea.

many thanks

Oh no, not another invertor question, haven’t we covered this many times before. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

what the hell IS an inverter?

geezer:
what the hell IS an inverter?

turns 24v into 240v to run electrical equipment, ie. laptop tele dvd xbox that sort of thing!

just put a ■■■ lighter plug on it instead of the clamps, it should have both sets of wires with it

biggusdickusgb:
just put a ■■■ lighter plug on it instead of the clamps, it should have both sets of wires with it

i was thinking that but does it not draw too much power and blow the ciggie lighter fuse?

Wouldn’t run more than 350w on a ciggy lighter socket. A 200w or more will cover a laptop with plenty to spare. Bigger than that, it’d want to be wired in semi-permanently.
If you want, I got a 200w inverter spare, if you’re gonna be in the southwest next week.

allikat:
Wouldn’t run more than 350w on a ciggy lighter socket. A 200w or more will cover a laptop with plenty to spare. Bigger than that, it’d want to be wired in semi-permanently.
If you want, I got a 200w inverter spare, if you’re gonna be in the southwest next week.

cheers allikat but im in the south east!

i want to get a 600w as in time i will start to take my xbox360 and other stuff with me. not just the lappy, it would be a lot better semi hard wired in so that it is there then

i never had a problem with my 600w, but i only used it for laptop, phone chargers, dvd player etc etc.
600w inverter to the lighter socket, a four plug extension lead to the inverter and run the appliances off the extension lead

Get a auto spark to wire it in, and get permission from the vehicle’s owner

Okey-Didley-Dokely:
Get a auto spark to wire it in, and get permission from the vehicle’s owner

he can’t hard wire it, he swaps vehicles

it needs to be easily removable as sometimes im in the artic and sometimes the rigid, then others in a poxy 7.5t van. not good if it is all hard wired in!

Get 2, have the rigid guy stump up for the other, and get them both wired in?

i use mine on a hella plug all the time never a problem, you wont get anywhere near max draw just using it for lappy or dvd player, mine even ran my tv all at the same time :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

peteandbrenda:
i use mine on a hella plug all the time never a problem, you wont get anywhere near max draw just using it for lappy or dvd player, mine even ran my tv all at the same time :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

i’m trying to get away from using the ciggie lighter as in most of the trucks we have one of four things normally happen (or a combination of them)
blow the ciggie lighter fuse in the wagon (running out of fuses and getting pee’d off keep on buying them for thier wagons),
overheat the plug and it melts (only happened once but frightened the crap out of me)
blows the fuses in my equipment (do not want this happening as it costs me money)
or completely blows my equipment

if i can wire it straight from the batteries it is as per manufacturers instructions and therefore shouldnt have any problems (fingers crossed)!

would it be worth buying the cable, ( stores.ebay.co.uk/TK-RADIO_POWER … idZ2QQtZkm )

crocodile clips( cgi.ebay.co.uk/CROCODILE-CLIPS-L … 286.c0.m14 )

and crimps ( maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?Mod … 1&doy=23m7 )

and have it running through the sunroof/passenger window?

would this work? if it would what AMP cable would i need to run 600W invertor?

to be honest electrics scare the ■■■■ out of me as they are so dangerous (shocks/fires) so i need to know that it is safe to use and not going to do any damage to me, my equipment or wagon.

To run a 600W inverter at full power from a 24v battery system you’d need 25 amp cable. Usuaully you can buy 25A or 30A which is best is probably down to price difference and how rugged each one is. If you run them through the sunroof just make sure you can’t accidentally chop them in half if it’s an eletric sunroof (near any straight metal edges etc) as then you’d have a cutoff live straight from your battery which would be happy to weld itself to the nearest metal surface.

thanks kiowan, thats what i wanted to hear. so it is easier and better to do that than just use the ciggie lighter?

many thanks mate

if your swopping vehicles all the time do you really need all that stuff

hitch:
if your swopping vehicles all the time do you really need all that stuff

if i’m going to be away all weekend and sat round for 9 hours at a time being a fridge doing promotional work then i would say i do. there is only so many books you can read and internet you can surf!

if your going to be running that lot for 9 hours you may want take some jump leads with you as well :smiley: seriously tho, i run my tv, fridge ,dvd player on a 600w inverter through the ciggy plug with no probs