Yet another DAF problem

I keep receiving several annoying warnings on my DAF…here is the list

Central vehicle controller
Body builder module
Transmission warning
Engine warning

They all pop up when the ignition is on the first click then disappear as soon as the engine is started. The bbm warning has just started staying on until the wheels are rolling today. The lights on dash and in cab lighting keep flickering which tells me it’s electrical, could it be dud batterys or something else?

Many thanks

Ps all warnings are Amber.

Sounds like chaffing wires sumwere, wot kind of daf? Cf or xf, if a cf then most likely place would be passenger side where the loom runs into cab

Pm norb aswell as he knows his way around a daf

Only time I’ve seen these was after driving through heavy rain or a truck wash. Same as you, when ignition is turned on.
I’ve had the BBM come on when I broke down with a battery fault (dead cell)

… It’s all part of the DAF driving experience - I drive a CF & amongst the regular pop up warnings I had “WARNING HANDBRAKE NOT APPLIED” this was whilst on the M62 doing 56 mph LOL :confused:

sydeakinwoods:

Body builder module
Transmission warning
Engine warning

They all pop up when the ignition is on the first click then disappear as soon as the engine is started. The bbm warning has just started staying on until the wheels are rolling today. The lights on dash and in cab lighting keep flickering which tells me it’s electrical, could it be dud batterys or something else?

Many thanks

I’ve had all these problems and many more on an old 51 plate cf years ago and after several break downs I finally got a fitter out that fixed the problem in a few minutes and it never broke down again.
so what you need is an air gun and wd40.
under the bonnet on the right hand side you have a black case.
take cover off and with air gun spray air vigorously over the wires, plugs and relays to clear any dirt and moisture. spray with wd40 all over, put cover back on close bonnet and start her up and hey presto its all fixed.
if this doesn’t solve the problem I can’t really help much more than telling you to take her to daf.

It’s an XF 105…I’m not too bothered as I’m giving her up for an actros very soon. Onwards and upwards as they say :wink:

Thanks chaps

lizard:

sydeakinwoods:

Body builder module
Transmission warning
Engine warning

Many thanks

I’ve had all these problems and many more on an old 51 plate cf years ago and after several break downs I finally got a fitter out that fixed the problem in a few minutes and it never broke down again.
take cover off and with air gun spray air vigorously over the wires, plugs and relays to clear any dirt and moisture. spray with wd40 all over, put cover back on close bonnet and start her up and hey presto its all fixed.
if this doesn’t solve the problem I can’t really help much more than telling you to take her to daf.

Worth a shot. Thanks!!

ADR 1:
… It’s all part of the DAF driving experience - I drive a CF & amongst the regular pop up warnings I had “WARNING HANDBRAKE NOT APPLIED” this was whilst on the M62 doing 56 mph LOL :confused:

:open_mouth:

sydeakinwoods:

lizard:

sydeakinwoods:

Body builder module
Transmission warning
Engine warning

Many thanks

Worth a shot. Thanks!!

your welcome. let me know if it works for you.

scotstrucker:
Pm norb aswell as he knows his way around a daf

Im tying to find out what batteries come with a DAF 65.240, they are the original part, Im just trying to find out the amp hours of the batteries… :slight_smile:

sydeakinwoods:
It’s an XF 105…I’m not too bothered as I’m giving her up for an actros very soon. Onwards and upwards as they say :wink:

Thanks chaps

Oh dear

ADR 1:

My old 55 plate CF used to say that to me if I left the handbrake off. But it used a sort of Trevor Howard voice to tell me. I always found it quite funny. Speech is difficult ot get across in writing, but it was something like “HENDBRAKE NORT APPLAIED”. :smiley:

Cars can suffer the same fate, bringing up random faults for no reason, with nothing showing up when the code reader/computer is attached to the vehicle.
Usually disconnecting the batteries for 12 hours will reset the ECU, which results in the faults disappearing.
Modern vehicles are no different to a computer these days, and get corrupted just like a home computer does, and a restart would cure the problem.

sydeakinwoods:

Thanks chaps

Are you sure■■?

Any ideas as to why I constantly get an amber ‘Transmission Warning’ in a XF 62 plate?

Fergi:
Any ideas as to why I constantly get an amber ‘Transmission Warning’ in a XF 62 plate?

possible ABS fault or excess water in the clutch actuator, but, wouldn’t have thought that on a 62 plate

sydeakinwoods:

Body builder module
Transmission warning
Engine warning

Many thanks

Check the state of the wiring loom just behind your N/S step

Drove a DAF CF 85 410 since March 2010, one of five which all came to our depot brand new at that time. and are serviced regularly by our local DAF agent.

Since day one they have been plagued by electrical problems for example headlight main beam stays on when you flash, wiring shorting due to rubbing away along the chassis, wiper motors failing, computer giving false readings such as brake fault, ABS fault, engine stop fault, engine overheating fault, exhaust emissions fault, so many rattles and squeaking noises in the cab were the interior trim is falling apart, the windscreen washer piping rubbing away at various points and leaking, radio reception totally useless, the list goes on and on and on.

But the most frightening problem that has occurred a couple of times is the failure of a brake pipe on the rear axle which resulted in the vehicle coming to an instantaneous stop, once in the yard, but the other time at 40 mph on the Dudley by-pass, the resulting skid marks were there for weeks after.

The build quality is absolutely appalling and hardly a days go by without some kind of defect.

They are not a patch on the Volvo FM 380’s they replaced but hopefully next year, when they are due for replacement, we will be going back to Volvo.

Good news!!! After a RED engine warning appearing yesterday afternoon upon leaving Michael Wood service DAFT Aid was called…7 hours later I have new batteries. Start up and Auxillary batteries replaced (strange setup) let’s see how long they last… :confused: