Yes, sorry, another sat nav question

So using the fact that everyone is in the Xmas spirit ( :frowning: ) I wanted to ask on behalf of my nieces boyfriend a question about a sat nav purchase.
I know there is the xgody one on eBay but he’s seen 2 on amazon and wondered which might be best, he’s not a daft lad, he carries a truckers atlas and uses google but he’s just moved to a general haulage job tramping from trunking and was looking to get one instead of maybe having to pull over and check google on a less familiar place.
The two systems on amazon are a jimwey and a yojetsing, I’ve looked and they seem to get good reviews, I think he just doesn’t trust ebay in these kind of things.
Any feedback would be welcome…

Merry Xmas…

look at maosters thread title for my response. :unamused: :laughing: :wink: :wink:

I bought a Jimwey 7" half price from Amazon, paid 60 quid. First and second day, worked perfectly.
Third day, I was at a drop, got back in the cab, found the thing had dropped the satellite connection. Waited 10 minutes as it searched, finally took it out of the cab and it found em again. Losing signal in Central London with all the concrete and steel around. Blacking out for 30 seconds at a time, randomly. not good :open_mouth:

Now have a TomTom Trucker 6000 with (subscription 50 quid) traffic and cameras. Better than the Jimwey, marginally, as in “Keeps signal” mostly. Processor is a bit slow when searching, it likes to reset itself at least once a day, sometimes it gets SO SLOOOOW I reset it myself. Still better than the Jimwey.
Would I recommend either?
Nope, not for town work anyway. For trunking? yeah, either would do, I guess.

Get him to try Co-Pilot Truck on his phone for 30 days as it’s free. Then he can decide whether or not to subscribe

I’m on my 2nd year of subscription and it works for me

Norfolkinclue1:
The two systems on amazon are a jimwey and a yojetsing,

At that point you have just lost me…I’m out.

Ffs Pleeeease don’t try and explain it,.I couldn’t raise the required amount of interest to listen. :smiley:

iv had a couple of xgodys , what i like is they speak when youre speeding ,loudly, and keep telling me . the only prob iv had is iv had no luck its impossible to do the updates , but cheap enough just buy a new one every 2 yrs

robroy:

Norfolkinclue1:

Ffs Pleeeease don’t try and explain it,.I couldn’t raise the required amount of interest to listen. :smiley:

I know what you mean, I have no idea, just the messenger however if I asked…

Rob, it’s the two Chinese lingerie ranges that Holly has been asked to promote and she is struggling to choose from, she sent me some shots…now you’re ■■■■■■■ interested :grimacing:

Professional drivers buying cheap ■■■■ sat navs that you can’t update to save a few quid ffs :blush:

Invest in a proper one or get off the road

I haven’t a bloody clue which satnav to buy out of these, i’d always plump for a Garmin because they prove reliable and worth the extra for Digi Traffic (free for life), but make sure it’s Digi Traffic and not just Traffic (older system now found on the cheaper range), a world of difference between the two.

Supplier choice however, without a doubt Amazon, but Amazon Prime or purchase Fulfilled by Amazon, delivery due in short order…supplied by them if it proves to be garbage then Amazon customer service we rate highly and they will usually refund no bother…if it’s got a likely delivery date sometime a couple of weeks hence then it’s probably coming from China from the seller direct and you won’t get as much help from Amazon as if they supplied from their warehouses.

This is my Mrs’ advice, we get lots of stuff from Amazon, but only cheap items not going to lose any sleep if it needs to be chucked away if it’s obviously Chinese supply because if it proves faulty or not as wonderful as suggested in the reams upon reams of blurb, it’s difficult getting any worthwhile satisfaction afterwards.

corij:
iv had a couple of xgodys , what i like is they speak when youre speeding ,loudly, and keep telling me . the only prob iv had is iv had no luck its impossible to do the updates , but cheap enough just buy a new one every 2 yrs

You really need a sat nav to tell you that you’re speeding and as for buying cheap ■■■■ why not buy a proper one that you can update, no wonder there are problems!!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Norfolkinclue1:

robroy:

Norfolkinclue1:

I know what you mean, I have no idea, just the messenger however if I asked…

Rob, it’s the two Chinese lingerie ranges that Holly has been asked to promote and she is struggling to choose from, she sent me some shots…now you’re [zb] interested :grimacing:

Well if you put it like that. :laughing:

i have used a truck nav from ebay for 2 years, its been great value for money, but recently started playing up. not loading etc. I bought a PROPER memory card from asda copied the files from the cheap and nasty card they use in them and now it works better than ever google ‘‘trucktables’’ for his website

wrighty1:

corij:

You really need a sat nav to tell you that you’re speeding and as for buying cheap [zb] why not buy a proper one that you can update, no wonder there are problems!!

far as i know non of the tom toms actually speaks words when im speeding [ tom tom i bought flashed a little red warning but did not actually make a noise ] to warn me if im a mile over the limit. oh i know you can say you should already know if your speeding but can you tell me youv not ever ridden into a strange town and not noticed the first few hundred yards youre already into the 30 ? thats the very time youre likely to get caught

actually,iv jus now remembered , my very reason for joining the forum was to get the insider goss on a good satnav ! someone was raving about the xgody back in 2013 and was backed up by a few others equally impressed -so i bought one -and have never looked back , nor been caught for speeding since owning one either [ had been caught twice previously ]

i might add i just knew that the best insider satnav info would be on here

I’ve used all sorts from cheapies to expensives. The best in my opinion has been the snooper. However, if I didn’t want to spend that much I’d get the Sygic truck app. That’s also very good. Tom Tom trucker was a complete disappointment apart from the traffic function.

I had a s/h chinky sat-nav worked absolutely fine, couldn’t update it no matter how much I tried, Last year I bought the TomTom WiFi professional, The traffic WHEN it decides to work is brilliant, the routing can leave something to be desired at times.

The chinky one gave you more options, and had a slightly better routing advise, this one I gave to another driver,and it’s still working fine, I would buy another chinky sat-nav if it did traffic.

corij:

wrighty1:

corij:

You really need a sat nav to tell you that you’re speeding and as for buying cheap [zb] why not buy a proper one that you can update, no wonder there are problems!!

far as i know non of the tom toms actually speaks words when im speeding [ tom tom i bought flashed a little red warning but did not actually make a noise ] to warn me if im a mile over the limit. oh i know you can say you should already know if your speeding but can you tell me youv not ever ridden into a strange town and not noticed the first few hundred yards youre already into the 30 ? thats the very time youre likely to get caught

I have a Tom Tom 6200 Pro. It definitely makes an audible (and visual) warning when you go over the speed limit.

XGoodys sat navs

If you need to update there’s a Facebook page that has all that .

Nozatec Truck Sat Nav Users UK
To read and update from the files you need a computer you can’t download from an I pad

The basic files are apparently TomTom

Settings including warnings for dimensions
Speed limits
Cameras
Even a driving counter

My sat nav is just perfect for me. :sunglasses:

I never hit bridges with it.

An alarm thingy goes off if I happen to slip over a mph in a 30…as you do…

It tells me where it ‘‘thinks’’ I should go.

It never ‘‘sends’’ me anywhere dodgy for a truck.
(In fact it never SENDS me anywhere tbh.)

I never have any problem with trailer heights before I set off.

I never get stuck anywhere dodgy because of it.

And it’s neither Jimmy Wee or Yoey Geestring. :unamused: :laughing:

In fact it’s a cheapie basic car Tom Tom that I use as a guide only …with a brain 2 eyes and lots of common sense…oh yeh and a Truck map as another guide alongside it.
Never had a day on the sick either if it packed up. :open_mouth: as some on here more than likely would. :unamused:

Hope that helped. :smiley:

robroy:
…with a brain 2 eyes and lots of common sense…

By far the best bit of equipment anyone can possess. I’m all for technology to make things easier but without the aforementioned it’s a tad useless.