Xf 105 problems

Morning all i have the dubious pleasure of owning a 2 year old xf 105 510, it has been a fantastic vehicle until about 2 months ago when it went completly off the boil.

It has noticably lost power and suffering from excessive fuel and adblue usage, it has been backwards and forwards to my local dealer but they have found nowt.

Faults that come up on dash are exhaust system warning,adblue and engine warning, dealer seen these when they were active but couldnt find anything…when the vehicle is pulling hard at 1400-1500 rpm now it comes up with engine warning with a orange warning light (dealers response to this aslong as its not red keep going)…

They did do a roadtest and found it to be down on a cylinder and over fuelling on that cylinder,tried moving the injector to another cylinder but fault stayed in same cylinder…

Anybody any ideas■■?

sounds like it could be the solenoid in the fuel pump for that cylinder, but, i would have thought that DAf would have picked up on that

Thanks for that,
Daf have been hopeless all they do is download data and send it down to Daf tech dept in Thame,i would of that somebody within there organisation would have picked up on problem.

haggis hunter:
Thanks for that,
Daf have been hopeless all they do is download data and send it down to Daf tech dept in Thame,i would of that somebody within there organisation would have picked up on problem.

Try John at Pelican DAF, Wakefield. They’re open every day except Christmas Day
pelicandaf.co.uk/

haggis hunter:
Thanks for that,

For the exhaust warning only ,there is a specfic amount of checks tests that need to be carried out,which if they are ok ,then a road test with a loaded trailer need to be done ,unfortunately the road test ones can be difficult as the vehicle has to be driven a certain way ,certain parameters need to be met before DAVIE can record the results…it can take 2 or 3 hours to do …The road test results are transfered in to a graph that shows how the nox sensors are workng and it shows the CATs NOX conversion rate …

The general issue with excess ad-blue usage is weak or poor quality ad-blue …example …if someone waters down the ad-blue,then it isn’t strong enough to clean up the NOX ,so the system will continually keep injecting the watered down ad-blue

You haven’t had a blown turbo at any time ■■? If yes did you get the CAT changed as a blown turbo will poison the CAT

Fuel wise ,the dealer can do a DATA LOGGER ,which should point them in the right direction

Like everything it’s easy to type an answer ,but nothing is as easy to diagnois /fix is it is to type a soloution

hope that helps a bit

Thanks Norb
Adblu has been purchased from Daf since new.
Never had a turbo or anything else for that matter.
Datalogger has been done which showed an average of 7.2mpg since new which to be fair with alot of the roads im on isnt too bad.
My calculations show the last two months to be 6.3mpg and 85 litres of adblu as opossed to 60 litres before problems arose.

Whats your thoughts on engine warning when engine having to work??
It feels as though its gona shut down then clears fault and away it goes on full pwr…

haggis hunter:
Thanks Norb
Adblu has been purchased from Daf since new.
Never had a turbo or anything else for that matter.
Datalogger has been done which showed an average of 7.2mpg since new which to be fair with alot of the roads im on isnt too bad.
My calculations show the last two months to be 6.3mpg and 85 litres of adblu as opossed to 60 litres before problems arose.

Whats your thoughts on engine warning when engine having to work??
It feels as though its gona shut down then clears fault and away it goes on full pwr…

The DATA LOGGER i meant is done by DAVIE monitoring the engine for 5 mins at idle then again for 5 mins at about 1100rpm…you then transfere it on to a pc with microsoft works home /office .You end up with a graph which should highlight any issuess with the likes of the camshaft /pump units etc…of course not my best point as being colourblind is a problem lol…so i have to look at the figures to try and suss it lol …But as i said earlier it is way easier to type an answer ,it’s never as simple as it sounds…

do you know what the fault codes are ■■

No idea what fault codes are havent been privvy to that.

When test was done for 5mins at 1100rpm i was in vehicle and mechanic showed me readings of cylinders.

Cylinders 1 4 and 6 were at +4
Cylinder 3 was at 0
Cylinders 2 and 5 were at -5 which he thought was a major issue but tech dept werent interested.

haggis hunter:
No idea what fault codes are havent been privvy to that.

When test was done for 5mins at 1100rpm i was in vehicle and mechanic showed me readings of cylinders.

Cylinders 1 4 and 6 were at +4
Cylinder 3 was at 0
Cylinders 2 and 5 were at -5 which he thought was a major issue but tech dept werent interested.

That was a cyl un balance reading …i’d agree with the tech, -4 is the limit …But tech dept obviously have more info on the limits and -5 to them is acceptable …Though there is other info in the test ref fuel etc which technical would had looked at for an overall view of the engines condition,not just the unbalance part …

But for the exhaust warning ,/engine warning /derate …they need to do all the EAS system checks .The engine warning you get there is related to the exhaust warning ,so if you looked at the engine warning on DAVIE it would basically say there is a fault with the EAS system…So as i mentioned earlier ,they need to go through the EAS with a fine tooth comb ,take a sample and send away for analaysis ,just in case there is a problem with their ad-blue supply ,if they are happy the EAS system is operating and dosing ,then they need to do the specific road tests to check that the NOX sensors are reading correctly,and that the CATs NOX conversion is within limits,and check the exhaust back pressure…They do take time to do ,but that is just the way things are going nowdays ,and it isn’t going to get easier

Thanks for your replies Norb I have a meeting with head tech guy for Scotland early in new year to see what direction they are going with this fault…
Amazing how people higher up the tree try and do something when you threaten to hand the vehicle back and demand a refund…

if various cylinders are overfueling its because the previous cylinder to fire is underperfoming , i wouldnt worry to much with this (ive seen scania 6 cyl and V8 running fine with upto 10%inbalance) so a 420hp 6 cylinder each cylinder should produce 70hp. so if N0.1 cylinder is only producing 50hp,the next cylinder to fire will overfuel and try to make up the difference i.e 90hp
also in the last 3 weeks i have fitted approx 20 Nox sensors (some before cat , some after cat, no set pattern) to 59/60 reg xf105 460s
another know problem is the eas wiring loom, the big one that connects to both Nox , both temp , dousing module and eas acu (approx £250) water enters the loom where the 2 multiplugs are just infront of the o/s/m tyre then runs down the loom and corrodes the wiring. easy check cut into the loom protective sleeve at the lowest point (under the eas ecu) and if water runs out a new loom will be needed

ramhead:
if various cylinders are overfueling its because the previous cylinder to fire is underperfoming , i wouldnt worry to much with this (ive seen scania 6 cyl and V8 running fine with upto 10%inbalance) so a 420hp 6 cylinder each cylinder should produce 70hp. so if N0.1 cylinder is only producing 50hp,the next cylinder to fire will overfuel and try to make up the difference i.e 90hp
also in the last 3 weeks i have fitted approx 20 Nox sensors (some before cat , some after cat, no set pattern) to 59/60 reg xf105 460s
another know problem is the eas wiring loom, the big one that connects to both Nox , both temp , dousing module and eas acu (approx £250) water enters the loom where the 2 multiplugs are just infront of the o/s/m tyre then runs down the loom and corrodes the wiring. easy check cut into the loom protective sleeve at the lowest point (under the eas ecu) and if water runs out a new loom will be needed

I have been driving a Daf which has the same symptoms of your XF. Been out in the monsoons today and I reckon this is what has happened as the exhaust warning came up and then went off for an hour. Then it came back on with the engine warning graphic on the screen. It must be water in the loom as it transpires it has had new parts in the last two weeks and they found a broken wire. I bet it’s these multiplugs playing up because if you drive in Manual and keep it up over the green she runs fine anything under and it’s missing a few cylinders.
I bet it’s worth changing this asap.

just get something decent to start with and that aint a Daf

It’s great when they don’t know what’s wrong with it and just shrug their shoulders isn’t it, so annoying its untrue.

Had an under performing turbo in a Scania once, asked a few times for keltruck to look at it, they say there’s nothing wrong with it, got fed up in the end and just told them to put a new one on. Why they didnt suggest taking it out with a freighted trailer is beyond me. Useless bleeders, to be fair the only time they annoyed me.

mr haggis , is see your daf is a 510
one problem a 510 can have is because the wastegate on the turbo is electronically controlled
whereas the wastegates on the 410/460 are controlled by airpressure

3 hour loaded road test, vehicle under warranty. So who pays for the fuel? DAF?
Investigating tech reckons results are out of limits, but Technical department disagree - sounds like DAF are trying to get the vehicle out of warranty.

cav551:
Investigating tech reckons results are out of limits, but Technical department disagree - sounds like DAF are trying to get the vehicle out of warranty.

unfortunately, the truck owner pays for the fuel

Three things spring to mind, too much exhaust restriction, valves need setting, turbo actuator is NFG, or a combination of all three. Do an oil sample when you drop the oil next time and see what it tells you, I suspect your soot readings will be abnormal, so do a valve set and if that doesn’t make a difference move on to the next cheapest remedy :wink:

Thanks for all replies folks… Truck. Goin in to Daf next week some time wi give anupdate then cheers

shuttlespanker:

cav551:

unfortunately, the truck owner pays for the fuel

Managed to get one over on DAF back in 1978. Vehicle - one of those simply awful FT1600 tractor units- was going into Penfold Commercials in Maidstone rd Sidcup for the umpteenth time. Fortunately we had a depot just around the corner in Foots Cray, next door to the old LT bus garage. When they got it,it had just enough fuel in it to get the 200 yards round the corner.