WTD

If I worked Mon to Fri and done 55 HRS then had a days Holiday sat which I understand counts as 8HRS WT ,I no it counts towards your average WT but does it count in that week so 55+8 Hrs =63HRS thxs all

Iv never heard that before if its holiday it count as a rest from the time u took the card out unless I’m missing something…

So OP u go Spain in summer for 3 week will u be breaking the weekly rules as your at work for 3 week and no rest at all ■■ ? ? ■■

TruckDriverBen:

So OP u go Spain in summer for 3 week will u be breaking the weekly rules as your at work for 3 week and no rest at all ■■ ? ? ■■

Yeah, that’s why there’s usually loads of DVSA bods hanging around outside arrivals waiting to arrest holidaying lorry drivers!

The first 21 days of your holiday entitlement count as 8 hours per day for WTD purposes. Anything over 21 days is “free”.

TruckDriverBen:
Iv never heard that before if its holiday it count as a rest from the time u took the card out unless I’m missing something…

It’s classed as rest for drivers hours obviously but you must remember why WTD exists and a big part of it is for welfare reasons.

The reason holiday, and sickness, both count as either 8hrs a single day or 48hrrs for a full week is to close a loophole where it could be used by unscrupulous* people to work longer on their return.

An example, say you average bang on 48hrs WTD every week while at work. Over 26 week reference period your average would be… 48hrs.

Now take your three weeks in Spain off the total and the average drops to 42ish as the total hours worked over that period has dropped by 144hrs (3 weeks multiplied by 48hrs).

So now you’re back at work, you could be pushed into doing an extra 144hrs on top of your normal bang average 48hrs you record as work for WTD each week.

So every week you could do 12hrs extra to reach your 60hrs max WTD and you could do that for 12 weeks to use up that 144hrs and get your average back to 48hrs.

So for going to Spain for three weeks that’s effectively an extra day’s work that can be squeezed on top of your normal week anyway fir thd next three months.

That’s why holiday is counted towards your WTD - because if it wasn’t it could be used to “punish” you by extracting more work from you.

Now ages ago I put an asterix next to the world unscrupulous. The caveat there is if they’re unscrupulous they most likely don’t care much for WTD anyway.

The above was my understanding it counted towards your average but not your weekly 60hr calculation my the boss tells me I went over 60bebause of the days holiday cheers everyone

bjd:
The above was my understanding it counted towards your average but not your weekly 60hr calculation my the boss tells me I went over 60bebause of the days holiday cheers everyone

No it counts as a normal 8hr working day, the day you take on holiday is treated the same as if you worked it for the purposes of the WTD. So it counts towards BOTH the weekly 60hr limit AND the 48hr periodic average. So yes your boss is right.

Conor:

bjd:

No it counts as a normal 8hr working day, the day you take on holiday is treated the same as if you worked it for the purposes of the WTD. So it counts towards BOTH the weekly 60hr limit AND the 48hr periodic average. So yes your boss is right.

Up to boss/admin to keep tabs on the averages not the driver

Never known authorities do anything about those who go over the average - seems to be just a company thing for those companies that bother

ROG:

It’s also up to the employee which is why it is a requirement for a worker to inform all the people they work for of what hours they do in other jobs if they’ve multiple employers.

And just because individuals haven’t been done is not a reason not to comply with it. It’s there for a reason and there for your own good. There isn’t a single study anywhere in the world into working hours that’s said that long hours are anything but bad for you.

Conor:

ROG:

It’s also up to the employee which is why it is a requirement for a worker to inform all the people they work for of what hours they do in other jobs if they’ve multiple employers.

Agreed :smiley:

Thxs all every day’s a school day as they say

All this stuff is like a foreign language to me, not because I’m too thick to understand it, but I’ve no desire to, and I ain’t ■■■■ interested.
The only bit I know is on a ‘Need to know’ basis, I need 15 mins within 6 hours combined drive and work, …only so I maintain my low profile and not draw unwanted attention to myself.
(Cue somebody to tell me I’ve even got that wrong :laughing: )
Yeh it was discussed in the dreaded DCPC, but unless I’m interested in something, I tend to glaze over.

However when WTD actually IS a genuine entity to actually prevent us from working the ■■■■ ridiculous hours we are allowed to, instead of a poa smoke screen to make it LOOK as if it is, then and only then my interest will grow,.and I’ll sure as hell know it inside out.
Cheers.

Further to this the holiday day on the sat ,does that still count as your weekend break as its classes as I Hours WTD ?

toonsy:
That’s why holiday is counted towards your WTD - because if it wasn’t it could be used to “punish” you by extracting more work from you.

I think the main reason is to prevent unscrupulous employers from pressuring the worker to take a day of his precious holiday entitlement just to keep the current week’s working time under 60 hours.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

I cannot figure why they had to have the WTD for drivers as the tacho rest rules take care of rest periods
The only thing that was missing was the 6 hour rule which could have easily been added to the tacho regs

Agreed, especially since they went to the trouble of creating the RTD to amend the WTD just for “mobile workers” :unamused: They could have just said “Abide by EC 561/2006 as long as you get 15’ break before 6 hours of duty” .

There’s an old-ish VOSA video where one of their main guys states clearly on camera that the whole WTD/RTD issue was meant to be reviewed after about 18 months or 2 years. Yeah, like that ever happened… :laughing:

When you say “done 55 hours”. Is that 55 hours work or 55 hours duty? If it’s work then 8 hours more work is not permitted as the max is 60. If your days holiday is not a statutory holiday then it can be classed as zero hours. Statutory holidays must be counted as work and are 8 hours for a single day or 48 hours for a full week.

The statutory minimum holiday for a mobile worker is 5.6 weeks. To calculate this into days you have to multiply 5.6 by the number of days you work.

So for a five day week man this is 5.6 x 5 = 28 This means that for a driver on this shift pattern only days above 28 can be zeroed and used to reduce your working time average. A lot of people think it’s 20 days, (4weeks) but regulation 13 of WTD for mobile workers was amended by the British government to add an extra 1.6 weeks of holiday and is now written in the statute books.

A lot of people in the industry aren’t aware of this including managers and staff at the DVSA. It is your duty and responsibility to keep up with the current regulations.

Do a search on google for the senior Traffic Commissioner’s Statutory declaration for hgv drivers. It gives his expectations of what is required. There is also one for Transport Managers. They both make interesting reading.

bjd:
If I worked Mon to Fri and done 55 HRS then had a days Holiday sat which I understand counts as 8HRS WT ,I no it counts towards your average WT but does it count in that week so 55+8 Hrs =63HRS thxs all

1st it does absolutely count towards your working hours. The question i would ask is, why/how are you taking a day’s ‘holiday’ after already working 5 days? Are you rota’ed to work 6 days a week?

bjd:
Further to this the holiday day on the sat ,does that still count as your weekend break as its classes as I Hours WTD ?

Short answer, yes.
Slightly longer answer, you are screwing yourself out of 8hrs time off. Or are you just trying to take your owed holiday pay weekly?

Why are drivers concerned about WTD when the authorities are not :question:

TruckDriverBen:

Jeez Ben, I wish you were my boss. If you’re going to pay me 24/7 for my holiday pay, as opposed to 8hrs a day, 5 days a week.