Wtd ?

Can I take my first wtd break at 5.59 mins ?

newboy23:
Can I take my first wtd break at 5.59 mins ?

Yup and at exactly 6 hours of working time

More often a driving time break which also counts for WTD has been taken before the 6 hours working time point

As ROG says but it’s always better to start it a few min before. It’s much like running driving time right to the wire.
Just remember if your only taking 15mins you then need a further 15 or 30mins BEFORE you end your shift.

Thanks Rog :wink:

Thanks nick :smiley:

I was under the impression that if you took it at say 5.59 hours worked then it had to be a minimum of mins not mins. Ifyou took it at 5.45 or before you can take 15 mins and then work again until 8.45 have been worked. ofcourse if drive time hasn’t hit by then.

ash 001:
I was under the impression that if you took it at say 5.59 hours worked then it had to be a minimum of mins not mins. Ifyou took it at 5.45 or before you can take 15 mins and then work again until 8.45 have been worked. ofcourse if drive time hasn’t hit by then.

Not sure what you mean to be honest, but for the 6 hour rule you need to start a break of at-least 15 minutes no later than 6 hours working time from the end of the last break of rest period.

So you have worked 5 hours and 55 minutes say, you now have to take a break of atleast 30 minutes because your break was not completed before the 6 hours. But if you breaked before 5 hours and 45 minutes worked you can break for 15 minutes, you are then covered until 8 hours and 45 minutes have been worked before you have to break for another 15 minutes to comply with WTD Regs. But normal circumstances you have breaked for your drive time before this anyway. :grimacing:

ash 001:
So you have worked 5 hours and 55 minutes say, you now have to take a break of atleast 30 minutes because your break was not completed before the 6 hours. But if you breaked before 5 hours and 45 minutes worked you can break for 15 minutes, you are then covered until 8 hours and 45 minutes have been worked before you have to break for another 15 minutes to comply with WTD Regs. But normal circumstances you have breaked for your drive time before this anyway. :grimacing:

You can take a 15 at the 6 hour point if you wanted to. No need for 30 at that point.

ash 001:
So you have worked 5 hours and 55 minutes say, you now have to take a break of atleast 30 minutes because your break was not completed before the 6 hours. But if you breaked before 5 hours and 45 minutes worked you can break for 15 minutes

I don’t know where you got that from but it’s not correct, for the 6 hour rule it doesn’t matter whether you have the break at 5 hours working time or 6 hours working time or sometime in-between, it needs to be at-least 15 minutes.
You can have 30 minutes if you want but it’s not necessary.

Ahh I see, I have just always done two half hour breaks because my days are so long lol :grimacing:

ash 001:
Ahh I see, I have just always done two half hour breaks because my days are so long lol :grimacing:

You being a bellend has nothing to do with it then? :wink:

Evil8Beezle:

ash 001:

You being a bellend has nothing to do with it then? :wink:

Yes that’s mostly to do with it, and I am going to blame tiredness as you know what a month its been :laughing:

ash 001:
Ifyou took it at 5.45 or before you can take 15 mins and then work again until 8.45 have been worked.

Can’t believe Tachograph didn’t pick you up on the non-existant 9 hour rule.

You feeling ok Tach :grimacing:

Terry T:

ash 001:
Ifyou took it at 5.45 or before you can take 15 mins and then work again until 8.45 have been worked.

:laughing:

To be fair I did say “for the 6 hour rule you need to start a break of at-least 15 minutes no later than 6 hours working time from the end of the last break of rest period”.

But to avoid confusion I’ll say it now :wink:

You only need to have a total of 30 minutes break before working 9 hours if you’re not working more than 9 hours working time, for the WTD break cannot be at the immediate start or end of a shift either :wink:

tachograph:

Terry T:

ash 001:

[emoji38]

To be fair I did say “for the 6 hour rule you need to start a break of at-least 15 minutes no later than 6 hours working time from the end of the last break of rest period”.

But to avoid confusion I’ll say it now :wink:

You only need to have a total of 30 minutes break before working 9 hours if you’re not working more than 9 hours working time, for the WTD break cannot be at the immediate start or end of a shift either :wink:

Correct me if I’m wrong but where does it say WTD can not be taken at the immediate start or finish of the shift?

I was of the understanding you could do a 12 hour shift with just a 15min break at 6 hours then finish of the 12 hours with a 30min break satisfying the 45min WTD break.

kev-t:
Correct me if I’m wrong but where does it say WTD can not be taken at the immediate start or finish of the shift?

I was of the understanding you could do a 12 hour shift with just a 15min break at 6 hours then finish of the 12 hours with a 30min break satisfying the 45min WTD break.

Under article 7 of the RT(WT)R 2005, breaks for the working time regulations must interrupt the working time, a break at the start or end of the shift is not interupting the working time therefore does not count towards the working time breaks.

Breaks

7.—(1) No mobile worker shall work for more than six hours without a break.

(2) Where a mobile worker’s working time exceeds six hours but does not exceed nine hours, the worker shall be entitled to a break lasting at least 30 minutes and interrupting that time.

(3) Where a mobile worker’s working time exceeds nine hours, the worker shall be entitled to a break lasting at least 45 minutes and interrupting that period.

(4) Each break may be made up of separate periods of not less than 15 minutes each…

tachograph:

kev-t:

Under article 7 of the RT(WT)R 2005, breaks for the working time regulations must interrupt the working time, a break at the start or end of the shift is not interupting the working time therefore does not count towards the working time breaks.

Breaks

7.—(1) No mobile worker shall work for more than six hours without a break.

(2) Where a mobile worker’s working time exceeds six hours but does not exceed nine hours, the worker shall be entitled to a break lasting at least 30 minutes and interrupting that time.

(3) Where a mobile worker’s working time exceeds nine hours, the worker shall be entitled to a break lasting at least 45 minutes and interrupting that period.

(4) Each break may be made up of separate periods of not less than 15 minutes each…

So if you show 1min other work after your break then you finish it would be an interruption in the working time [emoji6]

kev-t:
So if you show 1min other work after your break then you finish it would be an interruption in the working time [emoji6]

Legally yes, it’s not really complying with the intention of the regulation but perfectly legal just the same.

I’m not sure why anyone would want to have a 30 minute break at the end of the shift, but I suppose there could be reasons to do it occasionally.

tachograph:

kev-t:

Legally yes, it’s not really complying with the intention of the regulation but perfectly legal just the same.

I’m not sure why anyone would want to have a 30 minute break at the end of the shift, but I suppose there could be reasons to do it occasionally.

Thanks, just clarifying the details for myself and others.

Like many others I first thought you must take a 15 before 6 hours, then a 15 between 6-9 hours and a another after 9 hour…when in fact they can be taken at anytime providing you work no longer than 6 hours without a break [emoji106]