wtd/rtd breaks

im confused.com.

I start work about 14.30 and finish when i finish. some times less than 8 hours sometimes more I always have a 15 min break either when the 6 hours is getting close or more frequently when i have done 2.5 hours driving to reset my 6 hours. then i have a 30 min either when required by driving time or when i am at a place that does food and a cuppa. many times this is after 20.30. no issues and no infingements. i do this pretty much every day

as an example the other day i started at 14.20 had a 15 at 19.43 and then a 30 at 21.54no issue second break well out side 6 hours

yesterday for one reason and another i started at 14.45 but didnt leave the yard till gone 4 pm. went and did my first drop and had 15 mins at about 19.15 to reset my 6 hours. only did just over 3 hours driving so didnt bother taking the second break as no where near the 4.5 hours driving and i had already had 1.5 hours of sitting around at the yard. card came out at 22.50.

Got a text this morning saying i have an infringement because i went over my 6 hours working time by 1 hour 33.

this begs two questions
1)why did i get an infringment for over 6 hours
2)how did i go over my 6 hours by 1h 33 if the card came out at 22.50 and i started at 14.45.

You only had a 15 minute break. Simples :slight_smile:

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Roymondo:

same as every other day since i started as demonstrated in the above example.

You did roughly an 8 hours shift with only 15 min break
For shifts where the working time is over 6 but under 9 hours then total breaks of 30 mins are needed so you are 15 mins short

ROG:
For shifts where the working time is over 6 but under 9 hours then total breaks of 30 mins are needed so you are 15 mins short

its as simple as this ^^^^^

ROG:

how come i only went over by 1h 33 not 2h 05

cooper1203:

ROG:

What mode did you use from start of shift until 4pm?

Roymondo:

cooper1203:

ROG:

other work

Again…

More comedy gold from coops. :smiley:

Don’t ever leave the forum mate, you make my day every time you write.

yourhavingalarf:
Again…

More comedy gold from coops. :smiley:

Don’t ever leave the forum mate, you make my day every time you write.

glad i have some use too bad its not in my chosen job

cooper1203:

Roymondo:

cooper1203:

ROG:

other work

The 15 (or so) minutes Break that you did take doesn’t count as Working Time. Grab a printout and look at the actual times recorded. If you still don’t understand, post a copy here.

cooper1203:

Roymondo:

same as every other day since i started as demonstrated in the above example.

The best way to deal with WTD is to remember the two different perameters.

One is total amount of work since a break, the other is your shift length.

In case of the former obviously after 6hrs of work you must take a 15 min break. And that could come back again within a long shift needing another 15 min break. So remember the 6 hour rule Driving+other work = wtd

As for the shift length there are three parameters. 0 - 6 hrs = no break required 6 - 9 hours, 30 mins required, over 9 hours 45 mins.

A lot of CPC trainers dont get this saying you need a 30 min after 6 hrs. No you dont. But obviously you need to plan your breaks and get a good guess as to how long your shift is gonna be so you dont shaft yourself needing a break that you err havent taken. :smiley:

If doing a fair bit of driving it is unlikely you’ll get a WTD infringement but you could get caught on the 6 hr rule.

There’s 2 parts to the wtd breaks.

1. The 6 hour rule
    you can’t work more than 6 hours at any point without a 15 min break, a break of 15 or more allows you to work upto another 6 hours before needing another 15 min break. This works the same as driving 4.5 hours and a 45. (Only driving and other work count as working time)

2. The total break
    This is dependent on the total amount of working time in the shift, only driving and other work count as working time for the wtd.

0-6 hours of working time = 0 break required
Over 6 but not over 9 = 30 mins of break/s
Over 9 = 45 mins of break/s required.
A shift can only be have 1 of the 3 apply, so ignore the other 2

Breaks can be taken anywhere in the shift to count towards the total required, except the very beginning or end of the shift, so each break must have at least 1 min of work either side of it and they must be at least 15 mins long to count.

The 6 - 9 and 9+ are purely used to determine how much break is required in total and are nothing to do with when any breaks are required.

So anyone who drives over 4.5 hours in a shift will have a 45 for that and tick the total break box for any shift, so all they’ll need to worry about is the 6 hour rule.

These are extreme examples
of what is legal

Work 6
Break 15
Work 6
Break 15
Work 2:14
Break 15
Work 1 min

Work 6
Break 25
Work 6
Break 20
Work 2:15

Work 2
Poa 11
Work 2

stevieboy308:

Breaks can be taken anywhere in the shift to count towards the total required, except the very beginning or end of the shift, so each break must have at least 1 min of work either side of it and they must be at least 15 mins long to count.

The 6 - 9 and 9+ are purely used to determine how much break is required in total and are nothing to do with when any breaks are required.

That’s an oversimplification. Because you have not stated that you cannot exceed 6 hours without having completed a 15 min break. Also you can’t have your 30 or 45 within the first (shift -6 hrs) or 3 hrs.

cooper1203:
[

Your complaining they didn’t give you a severe enough infringement?

stu675:
Also you can’t have your 30 or 45 within the first (shift -6 hrs) or 3 hrs.

Why not :question: or have I misunderstood your statement :question:

This would be legal
Work 5
break 45
work 5

ROG:

stu675:

This would be legal
Work 5
break 45
work 5

I mean you can’t have your 45 Min break in your first 3 hours then carry on with a 9hrs+ shift. (Or 30 within first (total shift less 6 hrs))

stu675:

stevieboy308:

That’s an oversimplification. Because you have not stated that you cannot exceed 6 hours without having completed a 15 min break. Also you can’t have your 30 or 45 within the first (shift -6 hrs) or 3 hrs.

Read point 1!

And you’re 2nd point is completely wrong

stu675:

ROG:

stu675:

This would be legal
Work 5
break 45
work 5

I mean you can’t have your 45 Min break in your first 3 hours then carry on with a 9hrs+ shift. (Or 30 within first (total shift less 6 hrs))

If you mean doing this then you are correct
work 3
break 45
work 7

If work shift was less than 6 hours then no break needed so your last point does not make sense

ROG:

stu675:

ROG:

stu675:

This would be legal
Work 5
break 45
work 5

If you mean doing this then you are correct
work 3
break 45
work 7

If work shift was less than 6 hours then no break needed so your last point does not make sense

That don’t look right to me! You can’t legally work 7 hours without a break no matter how much break you’ve taken before. :unamused: