Wtd Question

Morning All,

I have recently changed from trunking to multi drop, I know seems odd but hey ho…

I know you have to have a minimum of 15m for your six hour rule. Then further 30 before 9… So if I start at 0300 have 15 mins at 0430 does this mean I’m ok till 1200 subject to drive time ? Or is there a max between first break and second ?

Thanks, muchly…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My understanding is once you have took a 15 min break youre good to 9 hours after your start time as on a 9 hour shift you just need a 15 min break

Subject to driving time obviously

I may be wrong but was never called out for it

kev909_2000:
Morning All,

I have recently changed from trunking to multi drop, I know seems odd but hey ho…

I know you have to have a minimum of 15m for your six hour rule. Then further 30 before 9… So if I start at 0300 have 15 mins at 0430 does this mean I’m ok till 1200 subject to drive time ? Or is there a max between first break and second ?

Thanks, muchly…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is no 9 hour break rule

Assuming that driving time and POA does not come into play first then
0300 start
0430 break of 15 mins to 0445
Next 15 min break due to start no later than 1045

Depending on the actual work done in a shift (POA + breaks do not count) then a total break(s) of 30 mins is needed if over 6 but less than 9 hours or 45 mins if over 9 hours

Do not worry too much about WTD because, apart from some companies having internal rules, nobody is bothered

Don’t bother with poa either. Just an unnecessary waste of time.

ROG:
Do not worry too much about WTD because, apart from some companies having internal rules, nobody is bothered

Great advice there yet again Rog , until someone has an accident and someone gets canned for not having the required rest breaks .

OVLOV JAY:
Don’t bother with poa either. Just an unnecessary waste of time.

Well, not unless your firm wants it and you can occasionally use it to your advantage… :wink:

There’s no maximum or minimum time between breaks, but they must interrupt your work. So you can’t just finish fifteen minutes early and cover it - finish sixteen minutes early, take a 15 break, one minute of “other work” and then home.

khdgsa:
There’s no maximum or minimum time between breaks, but they must interrupt your work. So you can’t just finish fifteen minutes early and cover it - finish sixteen minutes early, take a 15 break, one minute of “other work” and then home.

Really, so I can work over 6 hours in one block? :open_mouth:

:laughing:

khdgsa:

There is a maximum between breaks, it’s 6 hours, hence the name 6 hour rule.

khdgsa:

When you’re choosing what DCPC module to do next may I suggest WTD and EU Drivers Hours?

nick2008:

ROG:

Great advice there yet again Rog , until someone has an accident and someone gets canned for not having the required rest breaks .

I cannot find any example on the internet of such - can you ?

ROG:

nick2008:

ROG:

I’ve said it before and …

I have customers who have had lack of compliance with WTD used against them by Traffic Commissioners during public enquiries. I know a haulier refused an increase to his license until he got his WTD in order.

I know at least one driver has appeared before a TC and had to explain why he was working more than 60 hours a week. When he blamed his boss it was nota centred and he was armed to sort it.

We know there are no fixed penalties, we know there is little to no roadside enforcement but you would be asking for trouble to just ignore it

My employer have dismissed at least a couple of drivers for repeated infringements of a couple of minutes over the 6 hour period. One driver did it 5 times in a month, got a final warning, did it once more and was walked off site.
So I’d say it WAS pretty important to some. Take you point about it being worthless but not if your employer says different.

shep532:

ROG:

nick2008:

ROG:

I’ve said it before and …

I have customers who have had lack of compliance with WTD used against them by Traffic Commissioners during public enquiries. I know a haulier refused an increase to his license until he got his WTD in order.

I know at least one driver has appeared before a TC and had to explain why he was working more than 60 hours a week. When he blamed his boss it was nota centred and he was armed to sort it.

We know there are no fixed penalties, we know there is little to no roadside enforcement but you would be asking for trouble to just ignore it

Exactly this.

I’ve got to the stage where I have read so many made up and totally bull sh#t answers on this whole site that I can’t even be bothered to respond anymore!

But seriously, ignore WTD, really!■■

I know of an operator who’s just been released after 8 months in her majesty’s pleasure for making his drivers work all sorts of hrs without the appropriate breaks for both driving and WTD. On top of that he’s obviously lost his CPC and the buisness has just folded.

Do you fools who give these totally stupid answers ever wonder why we have the DVSA?

All they have to do is look on this site and their existence is well and truly justified!

They must laugh their heads on when they they look at some of the answers given by drivers. On this topic alone one says there is no rule and another says just ignore!!

I worked with a bloke many years ago who said to me one day that you can’t fixed stupid son!!! Never really got it until I started reading some of the posts on trucknet.

Do you think that operator would have spent 8 months in jail and lost his operators CPC if it was only WTD compliance problems??

I doubt it.

While I would never suggest ignoring the WTD, if you are breaking the 6 hour rule its only really through laziness or stupidity, or you like working too much…

F-reds:
Do you think that operator would have spent 8 months in jail and lost his operators CPC if it was only WTD compliance problems??

I doubt it.

While I would never suggest ignoring the WTD, if you are breaking the 6 hour rule its only really through laziness or stupidity, or you like working too much…

Where in my post did I say it was?

It was also drivers hrs but combined with WTD.

I know the operator very well so I know it was only those two things.

Admittedly it was over quite a period of time but never the less the WTD issue was obviously a big part of it!

Being very new to this i tend to take a 15 within a couple of hours of starting work and driving breaks will take care of anything else.

Am I the only one who is thinking Albion1971 has changed his user name? :laughing:

mick.mh2racing:
My employer have dismissed at least a couple of drivers for repeated infringements of a couple of minutes over the 6 hour period. One driver did it 5 times in a month, got a final warning, did it once more and was walked off site.
So I’d say it WAS pretty important to some. Take you point about it being worthless but not if your employer says different.

But that is the key, none of my previous or current employer have cared more then sign the infringement and carry on.

Coolrider:

F-reds:

I doubt it.

Where in my post did I say it was?

It was also drivers hrs but combined with WTD.

I know the operator very well so I know it was only those two things.

Admittedly it was over quite a period of time but never the less the WTD issue was obviously a big part of it!

So the example is worthless then. The question is about WTD, your issue with ROG’s response was WTD related, so why use an example that includes far more serious offences that are viewed far more dimly by those in authority? It just clouds the issue.