WTD - Nothing to see here, please move along

I use POA when on a door and waiting to go on a door.
I know you have to know the duration to put it on POA, but in my defence i know i will be sat more than a minute, so I put it on POA for a rolling minute. Its not like theres a minimum time on POA. If it wasnt for POA I would never be able to earn any money.

I certainly agree with a drivers union!

Indeed. An eight year gap. Not too bad considering. Afterall, the thread isn’t locked :smiley:

And another 8 years of proof of the futility of it all!

You won’t see many full time driver jobs these days, as everyone knows.

Those few jobs that ARE advertised at nearly NEVER 35-40 hours for a “basic working week” like just about any other human being would have to put in.

Indeed, there seems to be few that are below this magic 48 hours level…

An employer’s argument might be:
“WTD says we can only pay you for 48 hours (OUR interpretation of what it’s for!), so here’s what - we’ll pay you for 48 hours but put in your contract that it’s actually a 54/56/60 hour FLAT week or whatever we feel VOSA will not fine us for obviously taking the ■■■■ for…” Your breaks are on top of that, unpaid. POA is on top of that unpaid. Commute is on top of that unpaid.
You might find yourself working 6x13 hour weeks, but only being paid for the 6x8 hours bit of it - all nice and legal!

I voted “leave haulage” because I’ve already left full time on purposes, because I’m ■■■■■■ off with it all.
My terms, my time, & when I choose from now on. :smiling_imp:

I remember when the wtd come in and i thought this could be a good thing less hours but higher rates otherwise companys wouldent be able to get drivers to work for them, how wrong was i ! It still amazes me what people will work for i no theres people that will say a jobs better than the dole and this is what employers are banking on and yes they get away with it. I was offerd a job today but will not take it because the hourly rate was so low and i would have to do 70 hours to make a reasonable living further more i say good on tanker drivers for holding out for better pay and conditions

I think we’ve had to work more since it came in. Still doing 84hrs a week, but now trying to work out how to hide 24 of them

Harry Monk:

i was just thinking that! 8 years now and im still ignoring the WTD…

Can’t for the life of me see why anyone wants to be trekking round the country side for 60+ hours aweek. :open_mouth:
Get home get a hobby or something you need to get out more, you’ll spend enough time in a box when your dead why do it 60+ hours aweek now.

OVLOV JAY:
I think we’ve had to work more since it came in. Still doing 84hrs a week, but now trying to work out how to hide 24 of them

bloody hell, I thought doing 68ish was bad and pushing myself.

I’m glad I don’t work at maritime.

Sent from a layby stroking one off.

POA made the WTD Pointless.

I was just mocking the whole concept of the wtd jd, and showing what a joke it is

OVLOV JAY:
I was just mocking the whole concept of the wtd jd, and showing what a joke it is

I know you was :wink:

I am not that old 34, I remember working at Royal Mail and it was a 41.5hr a week contract. 8 hours and 18 minutes a day. Weird, I thought coming from doing what was the norm of a 40 hour week. I have drivers on a 48 hour a week contract now to satisfy the WTD and they are on about the same money now as I was then! An extra 8 hours from the 40 hour job I was on for zilch! We were all taken for mugs and unfortunately it will never leave us now.

I wonder when the new version of the WTD comes out in the future saying we “cannot work more than 50 hours” and again another 2 hours taken from our lives. It worries me for the future how much we are expected to work, social lives seem to be a rare occasion nowadays. God! I sound like my dad, age has hit me now! :open_mouth:

wtd? whats that :laughing:

scotstrucker:
wtd? whats that :laughing:

Walking the dog

bjd:
I remember when the wtd come in and i thought this could be a good thing less hours but higher rates otherwise companys wouldent be able to get drivers to work for them, how wrong was i ! It still amazes me what people will work for i no theres people that will say a jobs better than the dole and this is what employers are banking on and yes they get away with it. I was offerd a job today but will not take it because the hourly rate was so low and i would have to do 70 hours to make a reasonable living further more i say good on tanker drivers for holding out for better pay and conditions

Funny how people seem to think the driver CPC will bring the same better pay and conditions…

So, after summarising the introduction of the WTD to haulage we have:

48 hours maximum week averaged over a rolling 17 weeks which can be extended to a rolling 6 months with a workplace agreement.
Maximum 60 hours a week.
For night workers, 10 hours a night which can be extended with a workplace agreement.

Rest time is not counted in the above.

Can anyone tell me what has changed? Personally I can see nothing. Those doing 60+ hours a week currently have a fair bit of it that could be counted as rest , i.e waiting time/time on loading bays, so no change there then. Even the 10 hour night can be extended with a workplace agreement which you can [zb] well be sure that will be written into contracts/wage negociations for 2005.
So there we have it guys and gals. Nothing to see here, situation normal. NOTHING HAS CHANGED is the net result of the WTD for us.

What does that mean for me personally? Well, I was looking forward to the WTD coming in with a decent wage rise and a life outside the cab for once however it would appear the Govt and Transport sector have royally screwed us. I don’t want to do 60 hours a week for a living wage anymore and there are alot of drivers out there who feel the same way.

So to any employers reading:
I’m going to be looking for another job outside of haulage and I think alot of other drivers will be following. I hope you think your victory was worth it.

Well, I for one, used the basic pay for bills, and overtime as fun money, or to improve my life with. If the pay doesn’t go up, I shall be forced to reconsider my choice of career.

Time on loading bay’s does not count as rest and the same goes for waiting to get on a bay, unless they tell you how long they will be and you can get out of your vehicle and do what ever you want with your time.