WTD do you get paid if you are stood down

I went into see a company yesterday who told me that if you went over your 48 hrs over the 17 week period they would stand you down unpaid is this normal practice. Also told by them that they did not pay drivers when doing driver checks in yard only time outside yard i guess that would also mean they dont pay when being loaded. would be legal or would it stand if it was in a contract and you sign it

Don’t work for them! Seriously mate just don’t bother working for them, it’s the thin end of the wedge.

There are companies out there who will value your contributions and reward you so, therefore there is absolutely no reason to work for tools like this.

deck21:
I went into see a company yesterday who told me that if you went over your 48 hrs over the 17 week period they would stand you down unpaid is this normal practice. Also told by them that they did not pay drivers when doing driver checks in yard only time outside yard i guess that would also mean they dont pay when being loaded. would be legal or would it stand if it was in a contract and you sign it

Are you saying you went in for an interview or just being nosey??
If it was an interview I suggest you leave well alone

Its them twisting your arm to encourage you to book as much POA as possible, genuine or not, so you can really work 70 hour weeks but only actually ‘‘work’’ up to 48 for the purposes of hours legislation, it keeps their trophy wives in Range Rovers and you knackered.

Its normal practice on ■■■■ poor companies, its not how good companies operate, you cannot tell from company public image nor how pretty the livery which is which.

^^
Summed it up in one, as one would expect from Juddian.

lolipop:

deck21:

Are you saying you went in for an interview or just being nosey??
If it was an interview I suggest you leave well alone

I was being nosey however it is a job. One most people might enjoy as it was tramping out on Monday in on Friday going to highlands of Scotland and as far south to the tip of Cornwall. Delivery to home addresses with a range of garden sheds big and small would of been a good role to get some real experience under my belt. Just some poor conditions. But you would think the second they stand a person down unpaid they would know the person would not be back.

Juddian:
Its them twisting your arm to encourage you to book as much POA as possible, genuine or not, so you can really work 70 hour weeks but only actually ‘‘work’’ up to 48 for the purposes of hours legislation, it keeps their trophy wives in Range Rovers and you knackered.

Its normal practice on ■■■■ poor companies, its not how good companies operate, you cannot tell from company public image nor how pretty the livery which is which.

+1

Also told by them that they did not pay drivers when doing driver checks in yard only time outside yard i guess that would also mean they dont pay when being loaded.

Hello…Is this what Stobarts have just had their O licence restricted for , amongst other things.

3 wheeler:
Also told by them that they did not pay drivers when doing driver checks in yard only time outside yard i guess that would also mean they dont pay when being loaded.

Hello…Is this what Stobarts have just had their O licence restricted for , amongst other things.

It was not Stobarts it a manufacturing company they make garden sheds. which are sold in the big stores like wickes and B and Q e.t.c. but delivered by the manufacture to the buyer hence i feel a interesting job as no day will be the same

I worked for a company once where the boss told me that when the wheels were not moving, the tacho was on break or poa. What a crock of ■■■, I left the week after that.

If you do as you are told your new boss will be laughing his head off with his mates down the pub saying he got a qualified HGV driver to work for less that the minimum wage. You should get paid for the hours you work, and that includes checks. You should use poa appropriately, but not be bullied into whacking it on as soon as you turn the keys off. Apart from the dubious legality (vosa would take a dim view if your card activity went: drive, break, drive, break, drive etc.). Ethically you should not cowtow to this kind of rubbish as it makes companies think we will work for peanuts, and take it up the Garry in return for a seat in their crap lorry.

Perhaps a solicitor might shed some light on the stood down issue.

If your employment covers ‘layoff’ then they can reasonably stand you down with no pay.

They have to pay you SGP (statutory guaranteed pay) which is very little.

As for time spent checking vehicles - must he recorded on the Tacho but whether you get paid or not is between you and your employer.

deck21:
Also told by them that they did not pay drivers when doing driver checks in yard only time outside yard i guess that would also mean they dont pay when being loaded. would be legal or would it stand if it was in a contract and you sign it

I suppose it’s legal to work for nothing but why would you want to :confused:

If I went for an interview and was told that I’d be doing work for free, the interview would quickly, but not necessarily politely, be terminated.

deck21:
Also told by them that they did not pay drivers when doing driver checks in yard only time outside yard

Tell them you’re not interested and tell them why. .

deck21:
It was not Stobarts it a manufacturing company they make garden sheds. which are sold in the big stores like wickes and B and Q e.t.c. but delivered by the manufacture to the buyer hence i feel a interesting job as no day will be the same

Is it one based in Hull by any chance?

And its not an interesting job, its a ballache. You will be handballing those garden sheds to where the customer intends on putting them up and a lot of the time you’ll get no help. You’ll be trying to fit trucks down roads where cars can only go through single file because of narrow roads and cars parked on both sides and you’ll be as popular as the crabs as you’re blocking the street whilst you unload.

Conor:

deck21:

Is it one based in Hull by any chance?

No in Wisbech a big company

shep532:
If your employment covers ‘layoff’ then they can reasonably stand you down with no pay.

They have to pay you SGP (statutory guaranteed pay) which is very little.

As for time spent checking vehicles - must he recorded on the Tacho but whether you get paid or not is between you and your employer.

My view on the checks which would be twice a week in the yard and 3 times outside the gate as they put it TRAMPING would be dont do the checks in the yard do them outside the gate as once outside the gate they will pay you there words

Your checks are a daily thing before you start work, right down to checking the oil and water before you even fire up, and any decent lorry driver keeps a beady eye on things all day as they go about their work.
If you find a couple of bulbs blown and a bulb holder manky with salt corrosion you might be half an hour sorting stuff out before even think about cleaning the windows let alone putting a load on, is that going to be POA or card out in case it takes some time out when you should be ‘‘at work’’?

As the other lads have said, walk away mate, this job and company isn’t worth the time of day.
Maoster told you the score in the very first reply.

Hopefully any VOSA/DVSA lads reading who work in that area will have worked out who the company is by now and pay them a visit shortly.

Surely the question would be, are you legally able to be paid for being stood down when you have gone over the 48 hour average week, as I though that any paid time off still counts as working time and i am sure this has been discussed before.
And agree with what’s been said about not being paid for doing your checks, deffo cowboys.

Juddian:

Just like all the companies that force you to use POA because they won’t pay you over and above the legally required driving breaks.

deck21:
Also told by them that they did not pay drivers when doing driver checks in yard only time outside yard i guess that would also mean they dont pay when being loaded. would be legal or would it stand if it was in a contract and you sign it

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:
I’d tell them where to stick that contract! :smiley: