Would You..?

Just wondered how many of us are happy doing what we do

Would you get out of driving if you could find something different to do ?

And what are the biggest likes and dislikes about driving today and I aim that question at Agency Drivers…Owner Drivers…Employed Drivers…

If you had asked this question last year I would have answered I would get out. Now however I answered I enjoy it and will stay.

LIKE = Freedom of being away from working in one location.

DISLIKE = All the red tape …Being seen as a second class citizen…

But after 12 years the novelty has worn off and would go if I could do owt else :blush:

Given that my other qualifications are 2 ‘O’ levels,a few cse’s and a cycling proficiency certificate i’d be hard pushed to get £27K for an average 45 hour week,but i would love to do something with a bit more interest.
I’m in supermarket work where all initiative is trained out of the job leaving you like a robot, if ‘a’ happens do ‘b’ ,if ‘c’ happens do ‘d’ etc,
I could get a driving job with a bit more to it but that would mean working for a living and i’m too used to the lazy life. :slight_smile:

Ive been in and out of the industry for many years its always something to fall back on, but if i could get something else that pays the money i earn for the hours i work then i would go and do it thats the downfall finding something that pays £29k for 48 hours a week and is as easy.

jammymutt:
Ive been in and out of the industry for many years its always something to fall back on, but if i could get something else that pays the money i earn for the hours i work then i would go and do it thats the downfall finding something that pays £29k for 48 hours a week and is as easy.

Seeb what you mean…but sometimes its not about the money…until I don’t have any then I change mi mind :wink:

I answered no

I have just returned to driving from a 6 year break in I.T

Everyone gets fed up with thier jobs evey once in a while no matter what job you do, truck driving is in my blood and i just love it

Just wish the politicians would leave our industry alone

I voted that I would get out of the industry. I enjoy the driving aspect of the job, however, after a number of years at it you have got to question why you are spending 5 or 6 days solid in a tin box and only being at home at the weekends :unamused: There must be more to life than that.

penfold:
I voted that I would get out of the industry. I enjoy the driving aspect of the job, however, after a number of years at it you have got to question why you are spending 5 or 6 days solid in a tin box and only being at home at the weekends :unamused: There must be more to life than that.

Get yersen out of it then Penny. Don’t forget I used to tramp 5-6 days per week too so know how you feel as I felt like that too. Sign up to an agency and once you get yourself known as a good reliable driver you’ll be taking home more for 60hrs Monday to Friday on just day work than you would tramping, and you get to spend every night at home in your own bed. It’s the way to go. Also you can pick and choose which days you want to work and can take time off whenever you want without have to fake illness excuses etc. :slight_smile:

thecoder0:

And what are the biggest likes and dislikes about driving today and I aim that question at Agency Drivers…Owner Drivers…Employed Drivers…

I love it and wouldn’t do anything else. I made just over £24k last year which was excellent considering I only worked about half of the year (through choice). Can’t see me getting such a flexible job that pays that kind of money elsewhere and as easy as this one too.

The job has a lot of bad points but I think the good points far outweight them.

:slight_smile:

I would definately get out, only came back to it due to losing a business. and always kept my licence up to date.

But since coming back now don’t have time for any of my social activities I started to enjoy, as away most nights of too tired when home.

Its in the blood but :frowning: :unamused: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

half the problem with this for me is trying to think what else i could do, it’s in my blood as well, i usually end up thinking i could go and learn a trade, but
when you look in the college prospectus, you can’t learn anything like this at night, it’s I.T. nothing.

I couldn’t give up driving all together though.

I fancy coming off the road.

There’s a job for fleet manager being advertised in our depot which I’m tempted to apply for, although I haven’t a clue how to do the job. The hours are mon to fri, 9 to 5. I do thurs to mon & about 60 hours.

It would mean a pay cut but it still pays really well for a 40 hour week.

I think I would miss being behind the wheel though. Being cooped up in an office doesn’t appeal.

Dunno what to do.

I like driving.Have had lots of doubts over the last year ,but it’s all down to the company, that has made a habit of falling short with regard to it’s drivers. . :imp:

Start new job on Sept.5th so am fully psched up again. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: …and filled with relief.

I have always had a strange relationship with the transport industry. I feel for me its one of those jobs that when you are doing it and times are bad or hard you want to do something else and when you are doing something else you dream of the open road again. I used to feel that way about the continent. Stuck in some French services for yet another weekend I would pledge to come back to the UK and when I did I would dream of continental adventures.

I suppose its natural to have a selective memory and I know I am not alone in this but as I get older I am aware that the job can be a killer and pension companies love us because they dont have to pay out for long as a rule. I am being a bit clever about it this time though and weaning myself away from it gradually. I gave up my lorries last year and am just doing a bit now and again for friends and occasional agencies. I want to have a long and happy retirement though and will get out completly soon although I will always keep my licence up to date though…You never know do you!!!

i could walk away from it tommorow, go back into the building game and probably from a finacial veiw point never look back, but i wont.
although theres a few things i don’t enjoy about it, like the endless redtape, the crazy rules and the backstabbing, theres still a lot i enjoy, the freedom, the ease of earning money and for me personally, the fact i can be a total one man band, never have to employ anyone again and only work when i choose to, within reason any way.

I will leave this industry when I can find another way of making money by sitting on my ■■■ and listening to the radio. :smiley:

:laughing: :laughing:

I voted yes, as starting monday i will be in training as an engineer for BT :slight_smile:
Best thing is, the shift is 3 days out of 7 (36 hours) basic, plus overtime, and i earn the same in those 3 days as i do driving all week, which then gives me the option of either doing the odd day on agency, or doing overtime (when its available for BT) at double time :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

thecoder0:

I used to be happy doing what I did but not any longer. Biggest dislike is the massive increase in the sheer incompetents with a HGV licence I’ve seen.