Would you 'undertake'?

Would you ‘undertake’ or rather ‘pass using the nearside lane’ if it was safe to do so ?

As its not illegal to do so I have and will continue to do so in certain situations - how about anyone else?

Yes, do it all the time.

ROG:
Would you ‘undertake’ or rather ‘pass using the nearside lane’ if it was safe to do so ?

As its not illegal to do so I have and will continue to do so in certain situations - how about anyone else?

as i posted in the other thread, it depends on the situation as to whether it is legal or not to pass on the inside/undertake

if you are going to keep asking stupid questions on here, can you at least get your facts correct?

or, do you just enjoy talking ■■■■■■■■?

Please find the LAW that says it is illegal

ROG:

this do ya?

Do not overtake on the left or move to a lane on your left to overtake. In congested conditions, where adjacent lanes of traffic are moving at similar speeds, traffic in left-hand lanes may sometimes be moving faster than traffic to the right. In these conditions you may keep up with the traffic in your lane even if this means passing traffic in the lane to your right. Do not weave in and out of lanes to overtake.

If its safe, Yes

What do folks do when meeting a gritting lorry in the middle lane? Pass in lane one or lane three? Sorry, I mean the lorry lane or the fast lane :unamused:

shuttlespanker:

ROG:

this do ya?

Do not overtake on the left or move to a lane on your left to overtake. In congested conditions, where adjacent lanes of traffic are moving at similar speeds, traffic in left-hand lanes may sometimes be moving faster than traffic to the right. In these conditions you may keep up with the traffic in your lane even if this means passing traffic in the lane to your right. Do not weave in and out of lanes to overtake.

I said the LAW please not RECOMMENDATION

ROG:

shuttlespanker:

ROG:

this do ya?

I said the LAW please not RECOMMENDATION

since the police use this for prosecuting, it is near enough law

Yes, as long as you stay within the solid white lines there is nothing in the law that says you can’t.

When you undertake to gain an advantage for example passing a vehicle that’s in lane 2 an then moving back into lane 2 that’s undertaking. I undertake on the bike regularly with no problems as car drivers do not understand the concept of returning to the left lane.

Fairly ovious,but each carriageway on a dualled road or a motorway is a one way street.If the lane(s) to your right are congested and moving slower than the lane you’re in,then it is perfectly legal to pass on the left.Undertaking,as pointed out above is when you weave to the left to pass slower traffic then weave right again to rejoin your usual lane.Plod will not take kindly to this.

Continue in the near side lane to pass traffic moving slower in lanes 2,3,4…? Yes. Move from lane 2,3,4… to the near side lane for the sole purpose of passing slower traffic? No.

1. Do not overtake unless you are sure it is safe to do so.Overtake only on the right. You should

‹ check your mirrors
‹ take time to judge the speeds correctly
‹ make sure that the lane you will be joining is sufficiently clear ahead and behind
‹ take a quick sideways glance into the blind spot area to verify the position of a vehicle that may have disappeared from your view in the mirror
‹ remember that traffic may be coming up behind you very quickly. Check your mirrors carefully. When it is safe to do so, signal in plenty of time, then move out
‹ ensure you do not cut in on the vehicle you have overtaken
‹ be especially careful at night and in poor visibility when it is harder to judge speed and distance.

1. Do not overtake on the left or move to a lane on your left to overtake. In congested conditions, where adjacent lanes of traffic are moving at similar speeds, traffic in left-hand lanes may sometimes be moving faster than traffic to the right. In these conditions you may keep up with the traffic in your lane even if this means passing traffic in the lane to your right. Do not weave in and out of lanes to overtake.

As motorists are taught to the highway code, it would seem to be the way to do it. Motorists would be more aware of, and expecting, a vehicle to pass to their right meaning a greatly increased danger of collision or incident. In the grand scheme of things I would say it is tantamount to recklessness for someone belonging to an organisation who claim to be and promote better/safer drivers to even consider condoning it.

As above, undertaking and passing on the inside are two different things.
I pass on the inside every day flat out with the pipes glowing and juice flowing :wink:

I do it in the car, yes. Don’t see why I should be forced to move across three lanes and back again to get round one car who can’t be bothered to pull in to the left

I’m not 100% sure but isn’t it legal to pass on the left as long as you remain in the lane that you are in weather the traffic has built up or not :question:
i.e. someone dawdling along at 50mph in the middle lane, you can’t use the 3rd lane and the inside is completley empty for hundreds of yards

The same laws apply when passing a vehicle on either side

Passing could be deemed as over or under taking which is why I used that term

I would like to see a case where a motorist has ever been prosecuted for safely passing on either side - I know there have been many cases of unsafe passing

Desperate:
I’m not 100% sure but isn’t it legal to pass on the left as long as you remain in the lane that you are in weather the traffic has built up or not :question:
i.e. someone dawdling along at 50mph in the middle lane, you can’t use the 3rd lane and the inside is completley empty for hundreds of yards

if you are in lane 1, and there is a ROG in lane 2 doing 50mph, as long as you don’t increase your speed or change lanes, then yes, it is legal

if you are in lane 2 and come up behind ROG in lane 2 doing 50mph, it is illegal to change to lane 1, undertake, then move back out

shuttlespanker:
if you are in lane 2 and come up behind ROG in lane 2 doing 50mph, it is illegal to change to lane 1, undertake, then move back out

No it is not = that is FACT

ROG:
The same laws apply when passing a vehicle on either side

Passing could be deemed as over or under taking which is why I used that term

I would like to see a case where a motorist has ever been prosecuted for safely passing on either side - I know there have been many cases of unsafe passing

and, the majority of these will have been for passing on the inside (undertaking) as described in my previous post, or reckless overtaking

what part of the highway code did you not understand?