Would you stop out on a Friday to run in Sat morning?

For 20 quid?
Just had a chat with a manager who told me I’m stopping out tonight, I said I’m not willing to stop out on a Friday night unless he gives me a financial incentive. I get paid 7.15 ph and time and a half after 48 whoop de do, for running in on a sat we get the hours worked so I’ll be doing 1.5-2 hours tomorrow if I do the run. Having not seen my baby all week due to working so much I don’t think 15 to 20 quid is enough to persuade me to give my personal time up.
I’ve told him to suggest to the owner that paying us fairer would give us incentive to ‘bend over backwards’ but he said I should bend over backwards anyway as its my job to :smiley:
So I wondered if anyone else gives up their weekends for such crasp money is it normal? Everywhere else I’ve worked you get 8 hours for working a sat even if you don’t do em.

sometimes you just have to accept it. alternatively don’t do the run and give up your job to someone who wants a job.

before I give my answer , when you started to work did you tell your
employer that you wished only to work Mo–Fri , and did they agree
also have you got this is in writing as in today’s world that’s how
the works tribunal will will ask to see, If not you have to make a choice
JOB or family when your contract states other wise,
and 20pounds buys a nice present for the kids :slight_smile:
I was away between 1—5 weeks depending what I was
transporting and where i was sent,

i have done on occasion and would do again. I also have small kids and any extra cash comes in handy. If you can start back early on sat morning you may even be home before they get up! Explain to your manager that you don’t want to do it every week and you may find him to be more understanding (or not…).

If it was a one off then I’d be willing to do a favour however its every other week and I don’t feel that losing time with my daughter is worth it for such little money that would hardly change my bottom line. I only took the job as a stop gap till something better paid comes along, they’ve had job vacancies on going for 2 months as even the agency drivers have turned the job down…no one wants it :laughing:

I did ask about weekends and was told they have a weekend man for that as the lads rarely have the work. My contract states hourly pay Mon to Fri is working week, but also says must have good reason to refuse overtime as It’s part of the job. A lot of blokes here refuse nights out full stop. I am not one of them I’m always ready just in case, and after tax that 15 to 20 quid looks even less and for me not worth it. If the extra money could make a difference I’d be more willing to give up My time.

I’m sorry but if the job is that bad then leave. plenty of time with your family and jeremy kyle when your out of work. plenty of haulage companies expect their drivers to do every sat/sun. good luck wth the next job, you know the better one?
I do monday to friday with odd sat or sun. but its a job not everyone would be happy with - quite dirty. but as they say, needs must.

if you’ve got time on your tacho why can’t you just get back fri night? they can’t be making you stay out just for the sake of it?

I never said it was a bad job I said the pay was bad. Nor have I said I’m unwilling to work weekends nice way of trying to twist what I said though.
I have never met any one who would spend the night away for 10-15 quid after tax the standards must be low for anyone to accept that is ok.

No time as 6am start and booked in at thurrock at 1800 be out of there about 1930-2000 so only leaves an hour to get back.

so its an extra £20 or so for running in plus your nightout money (tax free) if your parked up by 2000 and 9 off ,start again @ 5 youd be home by 10am and about 45-50 quid better off not too bad for a couple or 3 hours

i think your biggest problem here is the low wages , you have to make a choice , do you keep a job you like but suffer the low wage or do you find something else ?. afterall , an extra 20 quid is’nt going to kill you is it ■■ having said that i do see your point.
i’ve actually recently been scammed into doing a job for an employer i’d only been working for for about 4 months , however the problem here was’nt money it was h+s related and i’m not prepared to do it , so , i thought about it for a while , decided what i wanted to say and i said it . but ! i also knew thier could be concequences and thier were . the end result is that he no longer has a driver ( as no one else will do it ) and i no longer work for them , bad time to be out of work i know , but i’m not risking my h+s for anyone .

my point here ollie is i think you’ve got yourself into a fuss over nothing serious , and yes i agree with you that your free time , family time , is precious but they do need feeding as well . i’m lucky in one respect as i can follow through with what i told him i would do , he called my bluff and lost , can you do the same ■■ and would it be worth it over 20 quid ?

and just to be sure i do understand what you are saying … family is important …

Night out money isn’t classed as wages though, So 20 quid at the most minus tax is 15 quid at the most. Not enough in my opinion :wink:

OllieNotts:
Night out money isn’t classed as wages though, So 20 quid at the most minus tax is 15 quid at the most. Not enough in my opinion :wink:

i agree not enough …

Fair post bowser, and just to be clear I’m not tryin to make a fuss I was just intrigued to how others feel about it. I’ll of done 62 hours when I’ve finished today for the week and I think that’s more then enough. So that in mind 20 quid for stopping out isn’t worth it for me personally. And my Mrs is also of the same opinion and I shall lie on my sword so to speak if it comes to it as I will stand firm on my belief that its not good enough. I know there will never be a perfect job but presently I don’t think a job that pays barely more then minimum wage is worth giving up my family time. I know its not a popular way to think openly on here but I’m not married to my job and doubt I ever will be unless the money on offer was very very good :smiley:

A Friday night at home feet up watching the teli with a few drinks is worth more to me than £20 for a night out in a layby etc, but If my job depend on it and if they was a chance of getting the heave ho for not doing whats expected, then I would stay out, Although I dont think £20 is enough.

OllieNotts:
Fair post bowser, and just to be clear I’m not tryin to make a fuss I was just intrigued to how others feel about it. I’ll of done 62 hours when I’ve finished today for the week and I think that’s more then enough. So that in mind 20 quid for stopping out isn’t worth it for me personally. And my Mrs is also of the same opinion and I shall lie on my sword so to speak if it comes to it as I will stand firm on my belief that its not good enough. I know there will never be a perfect job but presently I don’t think a job that pays barely more then minimum wage is worth giving up my family time. I know its not a popular way to think openly on here but I’m not married to my job and doubt I ever will be unless the money on offer was very very good :smiley:

always good to have the backing of your mrs , and mine has backed me up with my little problem. stand your ground and be perpared to have your bluff called . some bosses cant see beyond themselves.

good luck oillie…

I don’t mind weekend working, but I wouldn’t ruin ANY day for a couple of hours work. Minimum 8 hrs, take it or leave it! Like most on here, I’ve had to run in on a sat morning, but that’s a different thing which again, I don’t mind doing. In fact, I’d rather park up early and run in early hours to miss the numpty drivers that seem to crawl out of the woodwork on a friday night.

My jobs Monday to Friday so there’s very little chance if me staying out on Friday, unless theres been an incident were I’ve run out of hours. If your not happy and prepared to stand your ground maybe you could talk to the boss about your reasons for not doing it, just be prepared to look for another job though.

DoYouMeanMe?:
I’d rather park up early and run in early hours to miss the numpty drivers that seem to crawl out of the woodwork on a friday night.

This^