Would you night out but not in the cab?

Didn’t make it back to the yard tonight but I’m 2 miles from home, wife picked me up and I had dinner with her and the kids had a shower and went back to the lorry.

My question is would you have stayed at home and gone back at shift start time? Also is there any obligation to you sleeping in the truck?

Sod that. I’d have stayed at home the night.

I find it’s always easier to get my arse into gear when I wake up in the truck rather than at home, I quite often spend Sunday night in the truck if I’ve got an early start on Monday.

NewLad:
Didn’t make it back to the yard tonight but I’m 2 miles from home, wife picked me up and I had dinner with her and the kids had a shower and went back to the lorry.

My question is would you have stayed at home and gone back at shift start time? Also is there any obligation to you sleeping in the truck?

As long as the vehicle is reasonably safe I’d have stayed home and returned to the truck for the next shift.

Also is there any obligation to you sleeping in the truck?

Sorry I’m not sure what you mean, if you mean are you obliged to stay in the truck the answer is not legally no.

I used to run fertiliser from avonmouth back to dorset , I had an early tip at what was Dorchester transport so phoned the wife she drove out from hamworthy about 20 mins away. we had a meal out in Dorchester and she dropped me back to the truck. had the night out and three days later she had a call saying I was seen with a woman in my truck and they thought she had stayed with me. lol ha no such luck.

hotel magnum:
I used to run fertiliser from avonmouth back to dorset , I had an early tip at what was Dorchester transport so phoned the wife she drove out from hamworthy about 20 mins away. we had a meal out in Dorchester and she dropped me back to the truck. had the night out and three days later she had a call saying I was seen with a woman in my truck and they thought she had stayed with me. lol ha no such luck.

:grimacing: :grimacing:

Would I ■■■■■■■■ I’d be home in bed with Mrs TT. I sleep in the truck when there’s no other option

Phew that was a close one…
This birds fella came home. :laughing:

tachograph:

NewLad:

As long as the vehicle is reasonably safe I’d have stayed home and returned to the truck for the next shift.

Sorry I’m not sure what you mean, if you mean are you obliged to stay in the truck the answer is not legally no.

I mean because your on a night out would your company feel you should be in the cab.

oatcake1967:

Ha ha always stick a finger in just to make sure, it’s like checking the oil.

oatcake1967:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Not a chance would I stay in the truck. Don’t think your gaffa would be too pleased if he found out and he’d paid you the £20 or whatever you get though :wink:

NewLad:
I mean because your on a night out would your company feel you should be in the cab.

Don’t give a monkeys what the company feel tbh New Lad. Once they start paying me the same as they pay the site security guards overnight then and only then will I agree that they have a say in where I spend the night.

I have done many times and will continue to have “fiddly” nights out if the chance arises.

not unless there is something in your contract that requires it.
possibly on dodgy ground if boss queries your overnight claim.
Your night out money is to reimburse you for out of pocket expenses incurred by being away from home, and you didn’t incur any expenses.
Unless you had to get a taxi to home and back to the truck… :slight_smile:

Legally, you MUST be free to dispose of your time during a rest period (this doesn’t apply to breaks, where you can be compelled to stay with the truck).

So, if you park up and get a lift home, that’s nothing to do with your employer. If he asks you where you were, the answer is ‘none of your business’.

If he pays you a night out allowance then that’s a contribution towards your overnight expenses…which can include getting a lift or taxi home. It’s your money, your time, your choice. There’s nothing ‘sneaky’ about it: it’s above board.

He cannot expect you to act as a security guard while you are legally required to be resting.

That’s the law. If he says different, invite him to do so in front of VOSA.

my truck or in bed with your mrs ■■? probably your mrs again. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Been there, done that. Pulled the curtains, locked the truck up and spent the night getting sweaty with a welsh girl instead. I even got to keep the night out money :smiley:

Heheh, from the title, thought you meant in the BACK with the load - been there, done that!

cargocargocargo:
Heheh, from the title, thought you meant in the BACK with the load - been there, done that!

Hope you were not on Livestock ha ha

So you run out of hours lets say 30 to 40 miles from home and you feel obliged to stay in the company’s cab to what? …guard the vehicle. If there’s a sensible means of getting home and back again in the morning for the time that you would need to start, then unless YOU wanted to, why would you stay with the vehicle?

Night out money or subsistence money is exactly that. It is not a payment to look after the vehicle and its load. The fact that it was torched/broken into or whatever, while you were at home in bed is irrelevant, that could just as easily have happened while you were half a mile away getting something to eat/in the pub/at the cinema/in the nearest leisure centre swimming/on the beach/on the bus to the nearest town etc.

Done all of these in the past when parked for the night. Granted it was very frequently a case of parking up at 2 pm.

Quite often park for the night in my village , can time it so hours are short and spend the night at home , but don’t claim expenses as that would be taking the p*ss .