Would you have helped out

yeah i would av done same as lubbers driver did and would have gave him hand too change wheel aswell

I WOULD OF GAVE HIM AN ADDRESS TO TAKE IT O FOR THEM TO FIX IT AND DRIVE OFF :laughing: :laughing: only kidding lol

scotstrucker:
yeah i would av done same as lubbers driver did and would have gave him hand too change wheel aswell

Most people would, but what about the comments below the video?

what the zb was this all about its not safe at all…i drive trucks for a living

How did lubbers inflate the guys tyre anyway? Don’t know why he didn’t ring ATS after he’d got off the boat…

I pulled into Harthill for fuel yesterday, noticed a Somerfield/Wincanton motor stuck in the snow

I pulled over and went to help, we eventually got another artic to reverse in behind him and give him a nudge…
I asked another driver to help he said sorry mate I cant
It turned out the Somerfield driver had been trying on his own for over half an hour and not one person offered any help!!!

I filled up with fuel and went into pay, the Somerfield driver offered to buy me a coffee, I declined as was on way home, shook his hand and wished him a safe onward journey.

Silver_Surfer:
How did lubbers inflate the guys tyre anyway? Don’t know why he didn’t ring ATS after he’d got off the boat…

Was it not an airline run from one of his own air tanks? (I didn’t see for sure).

Those kind of tyre inflation airlines were part of the standard kit with army trucks when I was ‘in’.

marcustandy:

Silver_Surfer:

Was it not an airline run from one of his own air tanks? (I didn’t see for sure).

Those kind of tyre inflation airlines were part of the standard kit with army trucks when I was ‘in’.

Every truck has a compressor, many used to come standard with an airline, if not you can make one up to plug onto the tank.

i have jump leads, airline, tools, grinder, tyre inflator, and spare susies. but i’ve used all these on other peoples trucks more than my own.

and of course, don’t forget…bolt cutters… :laughing:

Wheel Nut:

marcustandy:

Silver_Surfer:

Every truck has a compressor, many used to come standard with an airline, if not you can make one up to plug onto the tank.

yes i made one for my truck and is very handy

andy the lad in the video is a top man,ive met him a few times now on his trips over here.they think nothing of changing there own tyres or other small repairs,how many of our drivers would crack the jack out and change the tyre,maybe its just us not been professional truck drivers, and as reguarding helping other drivers out we were stuck in snow the other day and after 15mins of a truck spinning wheels not one of the 15 car drivers behind him got out to help,only when i appeared with a bag of sawdust did every body suddenly appear from there cars and offer to help

I have helped out quite a few lost drivers.
I aint very competent on the mechancial side but if someone asked me for help or a driver was in trouble i would try to give them a hand.

Grasshopper:
I have helped out quite a few lost drivers.
I aint very competent on the mechancial side but if someone asked me for help or a driver was in trouble i would try to give them a hand.

same here, and i did help a few drivers today from directions, digging the drive axle out to get grip to stopping car :unamused: drivers from killing them selves!

any one in the boston area probley knew about the powerline’s and the tree that had came down on the b1183 at revesby.

found at the seen that a tree had fallen down and pulled 750ft of power lines which left the line about 5/6ft of the road, and the worst bit is that we found a fully laden sewage truck about 6 inchs away from the power lines :blush: we found the driver with a mug of tea in hand :slight_smile:, he was okthough eventully the police turned up. only one of 2 police cars in south lincolnshire and they were HIRED/BOROWED 4x4 :unamused: then the fun came as a somerfields truck with a 40ft turned up with no way of turning around untill the boss came to open the gate. neary an hour later the boss turned up he lives in the sticks well and truly once we got that turned around and told some car driver that they couln’t get through, which [ZB]ed them off and expected me to beable to work miricales (only an apprentis so not quite a mirical worker yet :laughing: :laughing: ), oh and turned another artic around which got stuck which bought the shovels out and stopped a car driver (he was about 110yrs old judging by the standard of driving :unamused: ) who tried to go through the power lines after i told him to turn left at the track :unamused:.

never mind hopefully we’ll have power back by monday
i just wish i had taked some pics of the whole thing :unamused:, never mind

Firstly, yes I’d have helped, but unfortunately, with the time constraints we have nowadays, its not always possible
to spare the time. I don’t like the job being controlled by the clock, but sometimes thats an evil we have to accept.
I carry all you might need for running repairs, and also I’m perfectly capable of changing a wheel, but its always
preferable to have some help.
Many years ago, in my O/D days, I was picking a load up in Belgium, destined for Corby, and I was looking forward to
getting home, having been away for several weeks. Anyway, whilst opening up the side of my tilt, one of the side
gates fell onto my head, resulting in a split skull and a visit to the local hospital. To be fair, the owners of the
company I was loading at looked after me well, and I also felt reassured that the truck would be ok, as there was
another UK truck in the queue behind me [from a well known Northampton haulier]. Bearing in mind that the driver
never even got out of his cab while I lay there pumping blood, I should have known better! When I got back, the tilt
cover was laying on the tarmac, and the inside of the cab was drenched where the rain had poured in through the open
door. There wasn’t much I could do about the wet, but thankfully the Belgians helped me put the trailer back together.
Now, you can call me bitter and twisted, but i’ve never forgotten the inaction of the other Brit, but i’d still stop if I saw
one of their trucks on the hard-shoulder.
When the rest of the world seems to be against us, wouldn’t it be nice to hold on to that cameraderie we once had?

Oh sorry,a question relating to the film clip.
It looks like the puncture was on an alloy wheel, and the replacement looks like a normal steel one.
I have Durabrites on my truck, although the spare is a steel, and I have another different set of wheelnuts for
fitting the spare. Am I right in thinking steel wheels require a different type of nut than alloys?

gb1:
When the rest of the world seems to be against us, wouldn’t it be nice to hold on to that cameraderie we once had?

You are right, as I mentioned. I would still help but I can think of two occasions where a British driver didnt or wouldnt offer help.

The first time was in Morocco when I took a large satellite dish on an open step frame tilt, eventually after tipping, I was back in the port area and had contacted my agent. I was loading from Spain so I started to rebuild the trailer, during that time there were several drivers who just had to nip into town, or to the PTT or the bank or anywhere but they would come back to help me. It was February so the weather was only around 20’c and I wasn’t sweating too much, but I had built all the posts up, fitted all the roof bars and got the sheet pulled over before I saw any sign of the British drivers, they just got back in time to help me lace the back flap :imp:

My second occasion was whilst weekended outside the Pioneer in Europoort. I decided to change a super single because of a wire showing. I had a step frame on again, but this time an empty skelly. I changed the wheel no problem and as we kept the spares on the swan neck. I tried for about an hour to get the wheel up onto the battery box and tip it over the front. I just wasn’t tall enough to balance it. I saw a UK reg tractor unit turn into the car park, and he drove around and disappeared up the other end of the car park. I went to ask him to give me a hand and he said he couldn’t because he had hurt his arm.

I ended up dropping my unit and balancing the wheel on the chassis rails to use the air suspension to lift it high enough to roll it across to my trailer. This cheeky prat then had the cheek to see if I was going for a meal with him later. I went for a meal but made sure I blanked this prat all night, as I had a lot of friends who used that restaurant in the evening.

Me, bitter, never :stuck_out_tongue:

gb1:
It looks like the puncture was on an alloy wheel, and the replacement looks like a normal steel one.
I have Durabrites on my truck, although the spare is a steel, and I have another different set of wheelnuts for
fitting the spare. Am I right in thinking steel wheels require a different type of nut than alloys?

Sometimes you do need different nuts as some have a collar / bush rather than a fixed washer. Some are universal, on the tankers we carried a front steer as a spare and an adapter plate to use on the trailer axle

Yes ofcourse i would have helped him, time permitting. But actually, although ofcourse even just moral support can help a lot, that guy didn’t actually need any help. He was well kitted up, physically fit, it certainly wasn’t the fist time he’d changed a wheel, & was smart enough to park the truck away from the kerb.
Nowthen you tyre fitters, how many of 'em think of that when they call you out?

Changed a wheel for an old boy in a car just outside Seaforth docks one Sunday morning not so long ago. (I was unit only at the time though).

gb1:

you’re right. the wheel nuts have a single mark on them for steel, they have two marks for alloy.
but it could be the other way round. :laughing:

Phil, is it possible you’re getting mixed up with the (sometimes) mark signifying a left hand thread?