Would you grass on other drivers?

Some London copper is on jeremy.vine.
Urging the public cyclists other drivers. To film other road users braking the law when driving.
Ie using a mobile
Upload it to some site…anf if video is good enough they will be prosecuted.

He says it all about road safety not money raising.
But then says last year 10.000 fines were issued using this method.
And this year will be even higher.

For perceived driving offences then no, for dumping their litter out of the window then yes.

Curious morals I know, but hey, what can I say?

I’ll be honest. Have thought about it.

edd1974:

I understand that tbh, sometimes something will enrage you so much that you feel like reporting it.

If I witnessed an accident then of course I’d be prepared to make a statement. If I witnessed stupidity or recklessness that didn’t result in injury or damage then I’d let it slide tbh.

Yes I have done in the past and would do again. I sent video of footage of a tipper dangerously close to my car once (no chance or stopping if I’d touched the brakes) into the company. Got a reply from the transport manager saying it would be reviewed and action would be taken anything up To the driver being sacked. He wasn’t. after being reviewed they replied again saying driver would be spoken to and further training given. I’d told them I’d forward the footage to police and traffic commissioner containing their company details if I wasn’t taken seriously (And I would have done). Do I regret it? No. Would I do it again for something dangerous? Absolutely yes.

It must have infuriated you when they didn’t sack the driver? ^^^^

In the old days you’d get a ■■■■■■■ good kicking for grassing someone up !!!

the maoster:

Nope. Didn’t want him sacked. Just wanted him to be advised and get a bollocking for it.

the maoster:

edd1974:

I understand that tbh, sometimes something will enrage you so much that you feel like reporting it.

If I witnessed an accident then of course I’d be prepared to make a statement. If I witnessed stupidity or recklessness that didn’t result in injury or damage then I’d let it slide tbh.

I know of a certain driver who has his head office on speed dial :unamused: , reporting trivialities not of his concern, such as…
‘‘Tom hasn’t strapped his load properly, ■■■■ is asleep in a lay by, Harry is stringing the job out letting others in front of him’’…absolute snake who I would never trust,.and gladly drop in the ■■■■ myself given the opportunity. :imp:

I also would not bother my arse over some non event that did not concern me, other than something serious. (As a ‘witness’ rather than a ‘grass’) it just goes against all my principles, and how I was brought up, and I look upon these guys as low life sneaks.

On the other hand, (as much as it pains me, :laughing: ) I kinda agree up to a point with Dicky. :open_mouth: :smiley:
The ONLY time in my entire life I have ever reported another driver was when it involved my daughter who had just passed her test, and this ■■■■ came close to forcing her off the road.
Whether it was her fault or not, was irrelevant to me, he is (supposed to be) a pro driver, she isn’t…and that reporting was only because I could not find the ■■■■ myself after looking for him in my car :grimacing: …maybe just as well for both our sakes. :bulb:

In mitigation I did say on the phone I was a driver myself, rather than some anti truck vigilante, and I had no desire to lose this knob his job, …but just to make him aware.
So that’s my take on it anyway, mixed feelings.

DickyNick:
Yes I have done in the past and would do again. I sent video of footage of a tipper dangerously close to my car once (no chance or stopping if I’d touched the brakes) into the company. Got a reply from the transport manager saying it would be reviewed and action would be taken anything up To the driver being sacked. He wasn’t. after being reviewed they replied again saying driver would be spoken to and further training given. I’d told them I’d forward the footage to police and traffic commissioner containing their company details if I wasn’t taken seriously (And I would have done). Do I regret it? No. Would I do it again for something dangerous? Absolutely yes.

I am kinda different, if it infuriated me that much and probably wouldn’t, I would have brought him to a safe stop and then asked him if he was a ■■■■■ then deal with the situation accordingly.

dave docwra:

DickyNick:

I am kinda different, if it infuriated me that much and probably wouldn’t, I would have brought him to a safe stop and then asked him if he was a [zb], then deal with the situation accordingly.

+1.

dave docwra:

DickyNick:

I am kinda different, if it infuriated me that much and probably wouldn’t, I would have brought him to a safe stop and then asked him if he was a [zb], then deal with the situation accordingly.

+1, but in my own personal case, I ain’t afraid to stand up for my opinions and convictions, where as some are, and think it’s much a much easier option to take the potential less harmful (some would say sneakier) option to themselves. :bulb:

robroy:

the maoster:

edd1974:

I know of a certain driver who has his head office on speed dial :unamused: , reporting trivialities not of his concern, such as…
‘‘Tom hasn’t strapped his load properly, ■■■■ is asleep in a lay by, Harry is stringing the job out letting others in front of him’’…absolute snake who I would never trust,.and gladly drop in the [zb] myself given the opportunity. :imp:

I also would not bother my arse over some non event that did not concern me, other than something serious. (As a ‘witness’ rather than a ‘grass’) it just goes against all my principles, and how I was brought up, and I look upon these guys as low life sneaks.

On the other hand, (as much as it pains me, :laughing: ) I kinda agree up to a point with Dicky. :open_mouth: :smiley:
The ONLY time in my entire life I have ever reported another driver was when it involved my daughter who had just passed her test, and this [zb] came close to forcing her off the road.
Whether it was her fault or not, was irrelevant to me, he is (supposed to be) a pro driver, she isn’t…and that reporting was only because I could not find the [zb] myself after looking for him in my car :grimacing: …maybe just as well for both our sakes. :bulb:

In mitigation I did say on the phone I was a driver myself, rather than some anti truck vigilante, and I had no desire to lose this knob his job, …but just to make him aware.
So that’s my take on it anyway, mixed feelings.

No auch thing as a pro driver. Once you have liscence for vwhicle said you are a driver. So driving a big truck doesnt make you anymore so than driving a reliant robin motorbike or cycle.

Its merely biding by rules that apply.

Robrpy the trucker is no better than a man steering his bike to work. As long as both comply with legislations set out to them by law they both must obide by that.

Unfortunately some people gruntle at the law and dont follow rules.

DickyNick:

the maoster:

Nope. Didn’t want him sacked. Just wanted him to be advised and get a bollocking for it.

Maybe it was a one off, maybe he had stuff on his mind, maybe a newborn has been keeping him up all night, maybe he had of got the sack, maybe he fell behind on mortgage payments, maybe he splits up with the child’s mother because of rowing over money.

You didn’t want him sacked but he could have and you could have ruined his life…because you didn’t like his driving.

manicpb:

DickyNick:

the maoster:

Maybe it was a one off, maybe he had stuff on his mind, maybe a newborn has been keeping him up all night, maybe he had of got the sack, maybe he fell behind on mortgage payments, maybe he splits up with the child’s mother because of rowing over money.

You didn’t want him sacked but he could have and you could have ruined his life…because you didn’t like his driving.

Professional driver. If I’d have braked that’s my family dead. So you can try guilt tripping me all you like but that’s the reality of it and I don’t regret it, you don’t bring all that on the road when your driving a truck.

Yes and I have done. Pass me watching a film on your phone or tablet weaving all over L1 and the hard shoulder whilst you’re driving and I’ll be on the blower to the police if you ignore my banging my hand on the horn, pointing at it and giving the coffee bean shake. North Yorkshire Police are incredibly effective at stopping lorries on a night time on the A1M and they’ve usually little to do up near Leeming Bar so they’ll come out when you phone em up. Worst one the police were sat in L2 in a marked car right next to his drivers door staring up at him for about a mile then tugged him.

Most of the time though stuff can be dealt with by a phone call to the number on the cab or the trailer but I can count the number of times on the fingers of one hand I’ve done that and it’s usually been pallet network loons.

Owt else like a driver not doing checks or whatever to do with the job he can go fill his boots, he’ll drop himself in it at one point or another and doesn’t need any help from anyone else to do it.

manicpb:

DickyNick:

the maoster:

Maybe it was a one off lapse?
Maybe he was a serial idiot, and by now luck has run out and someone else is paying the price?
One phone call to his office? That’s one case.
If he gets umpteen complaint calls against him? Different case, that would need investigation.
Would you want to be manager who was repeatedly warned about an idiot, but did nowt and there was a serious accident?
It isn’t an easy yes/no choice.
I’ve seen some idiots, but not yet felt the need to report anyone. Not saying I wouldn’t though, if it was a serious enough incident, I would.

I have reported drivers twice:
Once when a coach containing children visited an ‘attraction’ near us and as it was leaving I recognised the driver as the bloke I had seen sinking pints in the pub across the road - I called the police
Secondly when I stopped at a junction next to one of the buses that takes disabled children to school and the driver was using his phone the whole time, approaching, going round the roundabout and on to the dual carriageway, on his phone. I called children’s services.

I wouldn’t be calling about anything that amounts to bad manners, you could spend your whole life stewing about that stuff.

The usual suspect trolls are all over this one !!

robthedog:
The usual suspect trolls are all over this one !!

+1…

Just put the…

Word ‘grass’ on any thread title and hey presto, at least two pages of disagreement appear.

This subject has been done to death already.