Would you grass on other drivers?

Despite getting grassed up all the time myself, I don’t actually believe in grassing up co-workers, unless and until they are doing something right in front of me that constitutes a jailable offence.

SO… If he’s smoking in a “no smoking” cab, something that irritates me no end, when I take over a cab with an ashtray that looks like this, and the stench that goes with it…

Overflowing ash tray.jpg
…Or previous driver has left everything from orange peel on the seat, chewing gum on the underside of the steering wheel, bananaskins in the door pockets, coffee dregs with the cup carefully balanced so it always falls over just as you climb into the cab, making the mess the taking-over driver’s fault, and of course leaving mouldy old half-eaten packed lunches in the overhead lockers, that are prone to falling out on one’s head when you dare to open said overhead locker…

Left Sandwiches.jpg

…Never grassed anyone up for any of this, although I did get moaned at once - back in the days when I smoked, and forgot to empty the ashtray one day…

I’d grass someone up for things like:

Having a concealed weapon
Peddling drugs about the workplace
Taking drugs at the workplace
Theft, especially fuel theft
Assault - I don’t like to see someone going around thumping people. It’s just unacceptable behaviour, especially if the receiver of the blows - doesn’t seem to be fighting back much…

Harder to grass up - are any of the above criminal behaviours - when it isn’t actually at your home yard, but rather at some third party premises…
…You might find that the firm would ask you to go through them regarding “client/customer complaints”, presumably so they can keep that client on board, and sweep it under the carpet…
Such practices are most common at places like Breaker’s Yards, or Recycling depots of course, where a more “Brudder Business Model” prevails… :unamused:

DickyNick:

manicpb:

DickyNick:

the maoster:
It must have infuriated you when they didn’t sack the driver? ^^^^

Nope. Didn’t want him sacked. Just wanted him to be advised and get a bollocking for it.

Maybe it was a one off, maybe he had stuff on his mind, maybe a newborn has been keeping him up all night, maybe he had of got the sack, maybe he fell behind on mortgage payments, maybe he splits up with the child’s mother because of rowing over money.

You didn’t want him sacked but he could have and you could have ruined his life…because you didn’t like his driving.

Professional driver. If I’d have braked that’s my family dead. So you can try guilt tripping me all you like but that’s the reality of it and I don’t regret it, you don’t bring all that on the road when your driving a truck.

But you said you didn’t want him to get the sack.

An old colleague got snapped parked in chevrons unloading. Joe public put it on Twitter because he was sat in traffic and was blaming him (he was in chevrons, not blocking a lane, the same as every other driver did). He got the sack, not because of the parking but because a customer was on the trailer helping to unload. He walked into another job and got paid up till the end of the month on gardening leave but for someone else that could have caused huge stress and financial difficulty.

i once got stopped by the police .i pulled into oxford services the police were following me.i parked up they follwed me in and came over. asked if i was ok. said am fine just stopping for my 45 min break.
they were nice polite and explained we had a phone call saying you was a bit wondering across the lane. on the m40. so we thought we would stop you . they checked my phone found i hadnt been using it which i dont. i just said its a bit blowy out there which it was . and basically that was that they were polite and left me alone

robthedog:
The usual suspect trolls are all over this one !!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
arnt they just…weve had prickydicky and conor so all were waiting on now is ukjaketherowley101tramp and the rest to make it a full house. :slight_smile:

Not a fan of this at all tbh, you could spend all day grassing on people you percieve being unsafe.

I prefer to just mind my own business.

A few years ago I was coming home from a night shift and an artic (from an established Northampton firm) came straight out at the Give Way at the A1 south/A43 junction at Stamford. If I hadn’t had my wits about me I’d have gone under the trailer. When I got home I decided it was serious enough to ring the company. Got through to Traffic and the bloke, whilst perfectly polite, insisted that none of their vehicles should be anywhere near Stamford at that time. I made it clear that I was a professional driver of twenty years’ (then) standing, and not some do-gooder with nothing better to do, and told him that in that case he’d got two problems - a driver who was nowhere near where he should have been, and a driver who, unless he mended his ways, was going to kill somebody. The bloke promised to investigate and get back to me, but needless to say he never did.

Apparently there are thousands of cyclists providing the police with videos of dangerous driving and use of mobiles ,one chap has reported so many , he made the authorities £40,000 of fines and got Guy Ritchie banned for 6 months .
This cyclist was on This Morning and had a job with health and safety , another one was Magnatom who was a member on TN .
I worked with a family man on Gibraltar trips and was told to empty his cab and found a stolen passport hidden under the bunk , he stole a receipt book from a Spanish garage to fiddle the diesel , and smoked the wacky baccy on overnight stops , nothing to do with me , boss was happy with his work .

maga:
Not a fan of this at all tbh, you could spend all day grassing on people you percieve being unsafe.

I prefer to just mind my own business.

I am with you there, and also nobody likes a grass no matter who you are. If you want to be a copper join up and do it properly.

I personally think anyone who captures anyone on camera .And it leads to a fine they should.be rewarded for there hard work with say 10%of what ever the fine was :laughing:

robthedog:
The usual suspect trolls are all over this one !!

plus 1

Sent from my HP Chromebook 11 G5 using Tapatalk

The Red Revolution is shaping up nicely and anyone from the former GDR would be proud of just how we are doing now.
Be very careful what you wish for, it kinda reminds me of turkeys voting for christmas.

In my first year with a company some guy rang in and reckons I cut his “new pass” girlfriend up on a roundabout and was too scared to go back out on the road. Transport managers words were the guy wanted to rip my head off! :laughing: He took the guys number and suggested I ring and apologise . Thing is her car was about 300 yards from roundabout no where near my lorry she was just a nervous wreck!

There’s enough that the country and Police have to deal with as it is. Do we really need to grass on anyone that makes a mistake? Fair enough, report drivers for being dangerous.
From working in the bus industry, the job is hard enough as it is, surely we don’t want to give make it any harder?
What’s to gain from people getting fired, apart from getting more people on the dole and costing the tax payers even more money.
Are we not allowed to make the odd hiccup now and again without being hung, drawn and quartered?

Conor:
Yes and I have done. Pass me watching a film on your phone or tablet weaving all over L1 and the hard shoulder whilst you’re driving and I’ll be on the blower to the police if you ignore my banging my hand on the horn, pointing at it and giving the coffee bean shake. North Yorkshire Police are incredibly effective at stopping lorries on a night time on the A1M and they’ve usually little to do up near Leeming Bar so they’ll come out when you phone em up. Worst one the police were sat in L2 in a marked car right next to his drivers door staring up at him for about a mile then tugged him.

Most of the time though stuff can be dealt with by a phone call to the number on the cab or the trailer but I can count the number of times on the fingers of one hand I’ve done that and it’s usually been pallet network loons.

Owt else like a driver not doing checks or whatever to do with the job he can go fill his boots, he’ll drop himself in it at one point or another and doesn’t need any help from anyone else to do it.

Just out of interest how many give you a 2 finger wave back :laughing: btw how do you make all those hand gestures with them both on the wheel :laughing: do you bang the horn with your forehead :laughing:

Best get on the phone quick some of you lot, this guy is in the wrong here ffs !!

edd1974:
Some London copper is on jeremy.vine.
Urging the public cyclists other drivers. To film other road users braking the law when driving.
Ie using a mobile
Upload it to some site…anf if video is good enough they will be prosecuted.

Were they making sure to tell these potential whistleblowers not to use their phone when they were driving?
No good reporting someone if you’re breaking the law yourself to record them doing it.

I’ve never done it myself but there are times I see outrageous things on the road things and I find myself hoping that someone else might report them.

Punchy Dan:

Conor:
Yes and I have done. Pass me watching a film on your phone or tablet weaving all over L1 and the hard shoulder whilst you’re driving and I’ll be on the blower to the police if you ignore my banging my hand on the horn, pointing at it and giving the coffee bean shake. North Yorkshire Police are incredibly effective at stopping lorries on a night time on the A1M and they’ve usually little to do up near Leeming Bar so they’ll come out when you phone em up. Worst one the police were sat in L2 in a marked car right next to his drivers door staring up at him for about a mile then tugged him.

Most of the time though stuff can be dealt with by a phone call to the number on the cab or the trailer but I can count the number of times on the fingers of one hand I’ve done that and it’s usually been pallet network loons.

Owt else like a driver not doing checks or whatever to do with the job he can go fill his boots, he’ll drop himself in it at one point or another and doesn’t need any help from anyone else to do it.

Just out of interest how many give you a 2 finger wave back :laughing: btw how do you make all those hand gestures with them both on the wheel :laughing: do you bang the horn with your forehead :laughing:

Laugh.png

Zac_A:

edd1974:
Some London copper is on jeremy.vine.
Urging the public cyclists other drivers. To film other road users braking the law when driving.
Ie using a mobile
Upload it to some site…anf if video is good enough they will be prosecuted.

Were they making sure to tell these potential whistleblowers not to use their phone when they were driving?
No good reporting someone if you’re breaking the law yourself to record them doing it.

I’ve never done it myself but there are times I see outrageous things on the road things and I find myself hoping that someone else might report them.

The only thing the person taking that snap above is driving - is a floor sweeper or popmobility scooter…

robroy:
Best get on the phone quick some of you lot, this guy is in the wrong here ffs !!0

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
how demeaning and or embarrassing would it be to say that was your job definition…

to be fair,he obviously is a man without shame when he can show off his 1980 rat boy yuppie pigtail in public.

i bet he smokes rollies,and drinks stuff like scruddocks ond traditional ale with stuff that floats around in it. :laughing:

DickyNick:

the maoster:
It must have infuriated you when they didn’t sack the driver? ^^^^

Nope. Didn’t want him sacked. Just wanted him to be advised and get a bollocking for it.

So after telling you the driver would be spoken to more training given why did you get your knickers in a twist if they did exactly what you wanted? Though to be fair does sound like a work of fiction