Would you go back?

simple question really would you go back to a job you left 3 weeks ago if they rang you up and said they are not coping and offered you an annual rise of 2.5k to come back…

Thing is I left beacause it was really stressfull line of work and tight deadlines e.t.c and to be honest the new I job iv taken is less money( 10-15 quid a week) than what they guy said it was in the interview but much more laid back and easier place to work…

To go back on the money I was on before I wouldn’t even think about it but im afraid money talks to a man with a family and 3 kids. my head has been well and truly turned and im seriously considering it…

Berty:
simple question really would you go back to a job you left 3 weeks ago if they rang you up and said they are not coping and offered you an annual rise of 2.5k to come back…

Yes, they obviously value you which is rare these days in Transport, and the fact that they called you, and not vice versa, puts you in a good position to work the job to your own advantage, as they will not want to ■■■■ you off enough to leave again. :bulb:

More to life than money. Where are you happiest? That’s your answer. :slight_smile:

Ask for 5 grand and see what they say? How much do they miss you.

robroy:

Berty:

Yes, they obviously value you which is rare these days in Transport, and the fact that they called you, and not vice versa, puts you in a good position to do the job to your advantage, as they will not want to ■■■■ you off enough to leave again. :bulb:

Yes I was thinking that I think they took a guy on and he cant hack but they wont say that to me… thing is its gonna be awkward for the first couple of weeks but I suppose it will pass…

Forrestgrump:
Ask for 5 grand and see what they say? How much do they miss you.

i was just about to post exactly the same reply as above!!!

£2500 pay rise over the year equals around £50 per week, add on the £10=15 you say is less than promised, that makes ypu better off by around £65-£70 per week…less tax and NI, which I imagine would bring it down to being around £50 per week.
Only you can know if the stress etc is worth £50 extra.
If you do decide to go back, try a bluff and ask for £3k extra, or whatever you think you can get.

I am assuming that when you say an annual payrise you really mean a one off payrise for a year and then ongoing, if they have really promised an annual rise of £2500 (each year) snap their hands off!

Always leave a job so that you can go back …but never go back…

cliffystephens:
Always leave a job so that you can go back …but never go back…

+1 well never go back if they ask not right away anyway,

the new I job iv taken is…much more laid back and easier place to work…

THAT is the point :slight_smile: No job is worth killing yourself mentally and/or physically for.

Berty:

robroy:

Berty:

Yes, they obviously value you which is rare these days in Transport, and the fact that they called you, and not vice versa, puts you in a good position to do the job to your advantage, as they will not want to ■■■■ you off enough to leave again. :bulb:

Yes I was thinking that I think they took a guy on and he cant hack but they wont say that to me… thing is its gonna be awkward for the first couple of weeks but I suppose it will pass…

Can’t see how it will be awkward mate, it was them that ate the humble pie by asking you back. You will need to remind them though the instant they try and take the ■■■■ why you left last time. I reckon you will be OK, and be able to, maybe not call the shots, but make a decent job for yourself . Good luck with it!
Let us know how you get on.

del949:
£2500 pay rise over the year equals around £50 per week, add on the £10=15 you say is less than promised, that makes ypu better off by around £65-£70 per week…less tax and NI, which I imagine would bring it down to being around £50 per week.
If you do decide to go back, try a bluff and ask for £3k extra, or whatever you think you can get.

I am assuming that when you say an annual payrise you really mean a one off payrise for a year and then ongoing, if they have really promised an annual rise of £2500 (each year) snap their hands off!

No its a payrise that will stay but once I take it I prob wont get another one so as to previous responses maybe I should ask for more :slight_smile:

Ask yourself, would you have left the job knowing the job you have now would be £65 a week lower pay?

Thats all the question you need, but its in reverse, the figure sounds good if its based on £300 gross, but if it means taking home £640 instead of £600, then it might not be worth it.

If t’wer me, i’d want to have a proper formal discussion with the organ grinder at the old place, and lay all the cards on the table so you are all up front about what you expect from each other, then get it in writing.
This is assuming the invitation back has come from the OG him/her self, and they haven’t got one of the monkeys to try to tempt you back, so they (the OG) doesn’t lose face, this conversation i wouldn’t be having with the monkey.

I have gone back, with substantial betterment, the pressures of the job however were no better, they never will be for…and this is not meant offensively, for many of us are…willing donkeys, and those of who are willing donkeys have that well known keyword writ large upon our foreheads for all to see, unfortunately some planners/gaffers can’t help themselves taking the p then wonder why the donkeys bugger off.

The thing in your favour here is that you have proved beyond all doubt that you are respected and an employee worth keeping (pity the twerp didn’t realise that before), so you can get a good job anywhere, maybe you shouldn’t consider going back at all but set your sights considerably higher.

I know you think there desperate for you too go back as there offering you more money etc,but the truth is as you’ve said its a stressful job etc,nobody wants it that’s why there not coping ,probably had or 1/2 who’ve given it a go and soon jacked in ,.you left for a reason ,I doubt it will be any less stressful than before ,but if the money makes a difference too your life go for it

If you like the new place, why not ask him for a tad more money (he did short change you anyway) and if he says no, then you have the decision to make.

More cash and more stress, less cash and a better life long term :wink:

H.

Ask yourself this. Would your missus and 3 kids prefer you with an extra 2.5k in your pocket. Or you happier and more laid back?

2.5k annually is not to be sniffed at, but isn’t really much in the grand scheme of things.

Good luck buddy. You have an awkward decision, but for me it is quality of life every time. 2.5k wouldn’t do it for me!

Berty:

del949:

No its a payrise that will stay but once I take it I prob wont get another one so as to previous responses maybe I should ask for more :slight_smile:

So eventually you will be doing the same job that you left for, once your colleagues have caught up, the same money. If an offer looks to good to be true it probably is, and I wouldn’t go back. That said my situation is not the same as yours and when I did have a young family i did work more hours than I do now, did chase the promotions, did put up with being tired, stressed and grumpy for months at a time, did have my health suffer.

Wiretwister:

Berty:

del949:

So eventually you will be doing the same job that you left for, once your colleagues have caught up, the same money. If an offer looks to good to be true it probably is, and I wouldn’t go back. That said my situation is not the same as yours and when I did have a young family i did work more hours than I do now, did chase the promotions, did put up with being tired, stressed and grumpy for months at a time, did have my health suffer.

Ye I see where ur comin from mate and it something I have thought about if I was a young free single lad I wouldnt bother going for the money but iv got a family to see right and I cant see me getting that type of pay any where else so its a case of better the devil you know… thanks for your input though

Juddian:
Ask yourself, would you have left the job knowing the job you have now would be £65 a week lower pay?

Thats all the question you need, but its in reverse, the figure sounds good if its based on £300 gross, but if it means taking home £640 instead of £600, then it might not be worth it.

If t’wer me, i’d want to have a proper formal discussion with the organ grinder at the old place, and lay all the cards on the table so you are all up front about what you expect from each other, then get it in writing.
This is assuming the invitation back has come from the OG him/her self, and they haven’t got one of the monkeys to try to tempt you back, so they (the OG) doesn’t lose face, this conversation i wouldn’t be having with the monkey.

I have gone back, with substantial betterment, the pressures of the job however were no better, they never will be for…and this is not meant offensively, for many of us are…willing donkeys, and those of who are willing donkeys have that well known keyword writ large upon our foreheads for all to see, unfortunately some planners/gaffers can’t help themselves taking the p then wonder why the donkeys bugger off.

The thing in your favour here is that you have proved beyond all doubt that you are respected and an employee worth keeping (pity the twerp didn’t realise that before), so you can get a good job anywhere, maybe you shouldn’t consider going back at all but set your sights considerably higher.

Ipaf work is the only line of work I have a lot of experience in and is skilled work… I know drivers of other company’s like nationwide, gt access and aplant and they all on at least 2k a year less than iv been offered but they all do mainly local work and I would be doing distance… retraining in other class 2 work prob wont pay what this pays and I cant really afford my class 1 yet

You said the job was stressful and your new job is much more laid back.
Kids don’t want a stressed out dad and to be honest I’d rather earn £400a week and be happy than £500 and hate going to work.