Would you do away with your limiter?

No way. Even as an Owner-Operator, no way. I remember what life was like before speed limiters came in, and my gaffer would constantly remind me that if I didn’t “get a wriggle on” there were ten blokes in there every day looking for my job.

I’ll leave “Wacky Races” in the past, thank you! :smiley:

Exactly Harry…up the speed and for many the work will be increased with it.

Most of the wagons I’ve driven lately are limited to 84kph…then again the Transport Manager (one of the few I know that has a Class 1) knows exactly what time/distance/speed equates to and ensures that daily/nightly runs are planned accordingly…no need to speed…makes the day/night much more mellow and allows you to concentrate on driving rather than trying to get from A to B at Mach 7.

Harry Monk:
No way. Even as an Owner-Operator, no way. I remember what life was like before speed limiters came in, and my gaffer would constantly remind me that if I didn’t “get a wriggle on” there were ten blokes in there every day looking for my job.

I’ll leave “Wacky Races” in the past, thank you! :smiley:

Exactly. The faster you go,the more they expect you to do, in my experience.

the only thing that annoys me is the 7.5tonner being limited to 56…the motorway speedlimit being 70. drives me nuts, especially as its geared to be most economical at about 62.

qwakers:
the only thing that annoys me is the 7.5tonner being limited to 56…the motorway speedlimit being 70.

As I always say, if you worked in a sausage factory and there was sign on the wall saying “Only make 56 sausages an hour” then why would you want to make 70?

Only on a Friday afternoon… :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Brucewillis:
Happy enough with 56 but hate trucks that are restricted to 52 etc.

+1

I’d disable it, I believe I’m a well disciplined individual, I am actually capable of thinking for myself & I don’t need nannying…!!!

Yes

Back up to 60 would be good May be on a age basis after the lorry is 5 years old comes down to 56 may make passing on motorway a bit easer sometimes and encourage operators to buy lorries with newer emissions and such like

No why do more work for the same or less wages.

Get rid of the limiter and the trailer so we can do this :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:
youtube.com/watch?v=DXpsX1HA_6Y

No. Back up to 60mph would be handy on long runs, 56mph is plenty but between 50/53mph is dangerous and boring :wink:

jossk1990:
No why do more work for the same or less wages.

That’s what many folk on here never seem to get.

If you can do more work in a given time frame, then this pushes wages downwards, not upwards. It’s like the raising of weight limits, when the weight limit went from 32.5 tonnes to 38 tonnes, and when the weight limit went from 38 tonnes to 44 tonnes, on neither occasion did rates or wages go up, they went down.

The Law of Supply and Demand is quite easy to understand, for the love of Pete don’t throw your hand in the air and volunteer to do more work for less money.

tango boy:
No. Back up to 60mph would be handy on long runs, 56mph is plenty but between 50/53mph is dangerous and boring :wink:

How is it dangerous?

mmm,i drove in uk ish 81-07 and as harry said wacky races …and then limiters came in …imo if you got behind there was no way o making up lost time.
So now i am in a country wi no limiters unless you run east o Manitoba…and belive me at the start i ran hard when on the mile pay on distance, but now im on local and 70mph is more than fast enough wi remolds on the trailers ,(when loaded would be glad tae average 50 mph,).but one truck used to hit 100mph no problem ,biggest problem was the driver drove it at that! even though his trailer was on remolds…ex o/ds truck 460hp breathed on to 500hp.
soo the boss set us all to 70mph even the mixers ,as he said its fast enough for him when he drives a truck and hell i pay you by the hr :smiley: : :laughing:
nb… the speed limit round here is 100kph and of coursse i never break it .cough,cough.
jimmy.

Employers must be loving the current results of this poll 61% in favour of scrapping limiter. My vote is a definite no because of all the reasons pointed out by josk/harry monk/mucker/rhythem thief.

What next a poll to scrap the 15hour working day and increase that?

Seany:

tango boy:

How is it dangerous?

Yes do tell us your theory.

The current limit is more than enough to get the work done safely, can you imagine the carnage caused by a loaded 44 tonne truck crashing at 65mph.

I cant believe that some posters want them done away with like turkeys voting for Christmas, more work, more pressure no more wages.
It would never happen the roads are too congested and the fuel costs too much.

oatcake1967:

Seany:

tango boy:

How is it dangerous?

Yes do tell us your theory.

And me, if you’re doing 56 and you crash into the back of a truck doing 50 who’s at fault■■?

jdc:
Only on a Friday afternoon… :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Yep my thoughts too :laughing: