Would I look a complete tw@t going to interview in shirt+tie

First interview with a company for me this. For a tramping gig and I really want the job.

Thoughts?

Is there another Way?

SuperMultiBlue:
First interview with a company for me this. For a tramping gig and I really want the job.

Thoughts?

unless your going to a wedding straight after the interview smart casual would be my choice

I would. Trousers and a smart shirt (even smart casual of you think a tie is a bit overkill) and polished shoes would be the very minimum for me.

Got both my driving jobs by doing that.

Both times I was better dressed than the fella interviewing me, but I’m just that kind of bloke. First impressions and all that…

If its like this then yeah!

SuperMultiBlue:

Thoughts?

Ya sound like good management material. Remember us mere mortals :smiley:

Just go in your socks and pants,it’ll break the ice…trust me!

Depends on the company really but for me minimum would be collared shirt (ironed), chinos and clean smart shoes, carry work type kit (steel caps, hi viz…) in a bag in the car just in case.

SuperMultiBlue:
Thoughts?

Ive been to several interviews dressed smartly ie shirt & tie, I’ve only ever been offered one job out of it all.

I have turned up for an interview as a truck driver fully suited and booted, but I had just some from an interview for a technical job in another industry, The bloke interviewing me and the company owner were a bit surprised.

But I agree with Chicane smart casual and don’t forget stuff for an assessment drive.

P.S. I was offered both jobs before I had time to get home and turned both down. :smiley:

The day i have to go for a job interview suited and booted is the day il stop working. Doesnt have to be a driving job.

Shirt and jeans works fine for me. And work kit in the car.

Pimpdaddy:

SuperMultiBlue:
Thoughts?

Ive been to several interviews dressed smartly ie shirt & tie, I’ve only ever been offered one job out of it all.

Trust me, your rejections had nothing to do with what you were wearing.

Suit & tie for me, but that’s me!

Pimpdaddy:

I go to every job interview dressed in suit, shirt and tie. I’ve never failed to get one. I went to one and the first thing the interviewer said was that he was glad I had as he had thrown out everyone who turned up in jeans, t-shirts or trainers. I’ve always had my work clothes in the boot if needed.

You have to remember that the person doing the interviewing isn’t always a truck driver and in the better to work for firms is someone who has a qualification in HR who has only ever worked in a HR role in an office environment so candidates being dressed in a traditional manner is what they expect to see.

Conor:

Pimpdaddy:

I go to every job interview dressed in suit, shirt and tie. I’ve never failed to get one.

I don’t think you’ll ever be wrong in a suit and tie for a job interview, but I don’t think it’s necessary for all jobs especially when that job isn’t a suit and tie job.

I few years ago I had to interview several drivers for a race team, and none turned up in a suit and tie, but all were smart and tidy, proper trousers, shirts etc. Not sure what my impression would have been if one had turned up in jeans and t/shirt, probably were they really interested if they couldn’t make an effort for the interview.

Contraflow:
Trust me, your rejections had nothing to do with what you were wearing.

So what did it have to do with then?

If you feel comfortable dressed like that, then fine.
As others have said, dead smart casual also works.
Crisp, fresh, long sleeved shirt, trousers with a crease in, shiney shoes and a smile.
Works every time.
Work gear in the boot, crack on and good luck.
Cheers
Paul

Suit and tie for me too as in interview is just that,no matter what the job is.

Boots hi viz etc in the car just in case but as said first impressions are important it shows you have made the effort and can only be a good sign and good luck.

SuperMultiBlue:

Thoughts?

Standard for me,first impressions count.I have always been thanked for turning up suited and booted…and always been offered the job.

Pimpdaddy:

SuperMultiBlue:
Thoughts?

Iv’e been to two interviews in smart work gear and got both jobs.