Worth getting my HGV License UK

I wanted to get my license a over a year ago but a friend of mine convinced me to try bus driving first for experience. I’ve been doing it for the last 18 months now so I’m used to driving large vehicles and I’d still like to have a go getting my truck license.

However I’ve heard varying reports of what the money is like, some say it’s less than bus driving (currently I’m on just under £10) but other people have said they are crying out for drivers and the wages are great.

I’m in South Yorkshire.

So what is it?

About the same cat c but with out the annoying passengers moaning drive your late you’ve missed my stop etc etc

It varies a lot. But it’s not unreasonable to expect £9 ish for CAT C.

Give me a call - 10% discount and FREE driver cpc.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

one agency I have spoken to is offering between 9 and 12 an hour for C but I have found 9 seems to be an all round figure that is achievable

Hmm it doesn’t seem worth doing it for a wage drop. Is this the bare minimum wage, what’s the top end once you’ve experience and is it worth getting both class 1 and 2?

Class 1 does pay better than class 2 yes. I’m happy taking the wage cut I took knowing I will enjoy the job, that I have prospects to earn more when I do my class 1 and that I can’t abide doing office work!

Yeah I can’t stand office work either, that’s why I started driving to avoid the office politics.

So what’s am average wage on class 1 or on class 2 after you’ve got sone experience?

Also do you find it better than on the buses, I like the idea of no passengers and I can listen to music (yay).

Here in the North East cat C & CE are mainly the same not a lot of difference if any on wages it varies form £70 per day -£110 per day or £8.5 per hr - £9.5 per hr some pay a little less some pay a little more

Is it worth it only you can divide that the difference is as has been said you don’t have passengers talking to you or complaining but you might have to help unload / load your self as remember the diver is responsible for the safety & contents of the load so it is up to you

Sarahnya:
Yeah I can’t stand office work either, that’s why I started driving to avoid the office politics.

So what’s am average wage on class 1 or on class 2 after you’ve got sone experience?

Also do you find it better than on the buses, I like the idea of no passengers and I can listen to music (yay).

the money is different wherever you go.lots of class 1 and 2 jobs barely above the minimum wage,but you can earn more with o/t,meal allowance attendance allowance etc.
if you really want to become a ‘trucker’,go for it…but unless you get a really good number,you aint going to earn a fortune!

I worked on the buses in Sheffield from 2004-7, During that time I was saving to do a class 2 to 1 combined course in the end I only had enough for class 2 when I got fed up and told them to shove their job. Even though the hourly rate on buses is good, you don’t do the hours to earn a decent wage and Saturday and Sundays are still the same rate, if I remember rightly it was about 37 hours a week when I was there.
I managed to get straight on with a company after passing which pay an overtime rate after 8 hours daily and time + half Saturdays and double Sundays. This is no 7-8 hours a day job so my wages after leaving the buses actually doubled even though the basic hourly rate was slightly less and to say I went there for a year or two experience, I’m still there 8 and a half years later and they’ve paid for my class 1, so all in all, I know it’s 8 years since I did it but I’m about 19k a year up on what I was earning driving a bus and to be honest, I’d much rather drive a truck for 15 hours a day than 7 on a bus!

Thanks people, I think it might be worth it just for the option of doing something when I get bored with this. I’ve just been told I’m next up to go on the 4 day rota which is pretty cool as you work long hours but have 3 days off and often get them all in a row.

I’m surprised truck driving isn’t more money in general but if you get over time rates that’s a hell of a lot better.

Are the hours always really long then?

Sarahnya:
Are the hours always really long then?

Yep esp if tramping

Normally long hour not alway overtime rate paid as some are flat rate some are salaried

Sarah. In South Yorks you will probably not make much more money truck driving, than you do now. You are correct about overtime boosting your wage, but dependant on your circumstances, long hours and overtime don’t do relationships any favours.

Class 1 is easier and slightly better pay generally than class 2.

Remember, the best paying jobs are rarely advertised. I have a mate working ltd company through agencies and he’s making a very tidy sum every week. He puts the hours in but he enjoys it. At the end of the day whilst money is important it isn’t everything. As long as the bills are paid every week and there is plenty of food to eat and me and my family can go out places and enjoy time together that’s what counts the most. I love driving so it helps I can now do it for a living!

eagerbeaver:
Sarah. In South Yorks you will probably not make much more money truck driving, than you do now. You are correct about overtime boosting your wage, but dependant on your circumstances, long hours and overtime don’t do relationships any favours.

Class 1 is easier and slightly better pay generally than class 2.

Thabks, I don’t have kids or anything and used to work 24 to 48 hours in a previous job so I don’t mind that

What kinda rate do you get for staying out and are costs like parking or food covered.

It does all depend on who your with, you can get £28-32 for a night out or some companies pay your £0 for it !! you will do 12-14hr days although obviously only 14+hrs 3 times a week! on top of that do you get expenses paid or not for parking etc…

I guess what i’m driving at is, it very much depends what package you can get from prospective employers. there is good money out there but also a lot of so so jobs.

Its good that you are used to 48 hour weeks. It will help you get used to the 55-60 hour weeks that you will end up doing lol.

As said, you get usually anywhere between £20-£30 for a night out, and its up to you if you pocket the money and sleep on an industrial estate, or park in a service area and pay for the ’ privilege '.

Just beware of the fragrant parking in MSAs apparently walking 100m to go to the toilet is a step too far so you have to ■■■■ up your wheels!

As said some pay for overnight parking some don’t just depends on company you should get night out money if staying out this is tax free unto £34 ( IIRC ) some pay meal allowance per day again tax free

Long hours yep upto 15 hr per day x3 per week as said

Drivers hours here

gov.uk/government/publicati … cles-in-gb