Worst jobs in haulage

Mc`Donalds deliveries,how the hell do they get artics in to tip in a car park,they must the patience of a saint for that number.
Slurry and sludge tankers,you can never rinse away the smell,it stays in the pores of the skin,the wife will love you forever.
Abbatoir and carcas recovery,bring a clothes peg,a dead cow sat for a week will blow up with gasses inside the body,i have seen them explode,you can imagine what comes out.
Livestock,again,a patient driver for this,you can chase a pig for hours,if it decides not to go to the death camp with its buddies,cows can charge you,if they have a calf nearby,they get mean and nasty.
On call to the police,all night and day to pick up crashed cars,having supper,the phone goes,so do you.
Flat bed work,not bad,keeps you fit,using the noodle to restrain the load.
Old tyres transport,cancel the gym membership,you will sleep after that.

Delivering gravel to travellers camps. You’ll be swarmed on like flies around a fresh turd, kids wanting to get in the cab, dawgs nipping at your feet. Everybody asking you to drop a ton here and there. Make sure any equipment carried outside the cab like a shovel, broom, towing pin etc are locked in the cab.
Be prepared for the “you’ve brought the wrong stuff” or “you’ve not got 10t on there driver…”
Proper private deliveries aren’t much better. “Spread it, level it, more here,mind the cat, mind the trees, mind the manhole, watch for the phone cable…”

Personally I’d prefer a job with a bit of a challenge and grafting.
My idea of the worst job in haulage is anything that involved going into a Supermarket RDC, busting a gut to get somewhere for some mythical time slot that they have no intention of sticking to.

+1^^^
My number 1 is tesco for taking 3+hrs to do something that can be done in other places less equipped in 20min!!!
Some Sainsbury sites are following close behind now with this whole stupid ‘no cab sit’ policy, what absolute ■■■■■■■■…!

toby1234abc:
Mc`Donalds deliveries,how the hell do they get artics in to tip in a car park,they must the patience of a saint for that number.

Piece of cake, you do it early doors when the car park is empty. If it’s a tiny place you use a 30ft rear steer trailer or even a 18t rigid. It’s not a bad job really usually with a free cuppa.

Worst I’ve experienced?
Concrete mixer was probably the messiest and needed sea-legs for the churning motion going along. Followed by loading a car transporter in the driving rain.

worst 1 i had was loading cages of chickens to go to the slaughter houses…it was an artic trailer full,slinging it down with rain,probably 300+ cages all to be handballed off & then restacked with chickens in them…■■■■■■ wet through with rain & sweat,chicken ■■■■ & feathers everywhere…lovely job…NOT!!! was funny stopping in harrogate on way back for some fish n chips for tea…got some right looks & comments…lol

trying getting low loader into mcdonalds lol use to deliver cherry pickers to company that renivates mcdonalds but all good fun

jrl driver:
worst 1 i had was loading cages of chickens to go to the slaughter houses…it was an artic trailer full,slinging it down with rain,probably 300+ cages all to be handballed off & then restacked with chickens in them…■■■■■■ wet through with rain & sweat,chicken [zb] & feathers everywhere…lovely job…NOT!!! was funny stopping in harrogate on way back for some fish n chips for tea…got some right looks & comments…lol

Welcome to my world… :wink:

Got to be either tipper driver or quarry shovel operator judging by posts on here :grimacing:

muckles:
Personally I’d prefer a job with a bit of a challenge and grafting.
My idea of the worst job in haulage is anything that involved going into a Supermarket RDC, busting a gut to get somewhere for some mythical time slot that they have no intention of sticking to.

+1 :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Stripping Tilts, everybody standing and watching, no-one helping exept for rare occasions, when I got a bit past it, I would not do them and if agencys asked me to deliver using a Tilt I always made it perfectly clear as long as it came out the back door OK but NO stripdowns, especially at night, I was sent by DFDS to preston on a night with a tilt and I had told them (DFDS) that, and when I got there at 01.00 it was a complete stripdown for a machine of some kind which needed a crane to lift it out, I refused to strip it, and they wouldnt so I took it back to Immingham, they went beserk :grimacing: it cost thousand in production, crane hire wages etc, but I had told them, I also hate with a passion shunting and would never do it.

Pimpdaddy:
+1^^^
My number 1 is tesco for taking 3+hrs to do something that can be done in other places less equipped in 20min!!!
Some Sainsbury sites are following close behind now with this whole stupid ‘no cab sit’ policy, what absolute ■■■■■■■■…!

Ok so I’m a wannabe driver but just having a nosey through the forum. The no cab sit thing is silly but its derived from cases where drivers have pulled off the bay when its on red. This happened to my mate on goods in at my work (Iceland RDC), the PPT Truck was half on the ramp and half on the trailer when the driver for some reason pulled off on a red resulting in a big mess. These PPT trucks weigh about 2 tons, not what you want on top of you.

Now before you mention handing in keys etc, I know and I fully agreee with you, it shouldn’t stop drivers sitting in their cabs (really why should it?), but thats another story!

Hopefully one day it will be me complaining that I cant sit in my cab!

Anyway, enough of my random rant, back on topic…

Can’t recall seeing this for many years, but as I kid, it was common for me to see bus-chassis without any bodywork being driven up the motorway with no cover or protection for the driver.
Apart from looking really dangerous, it can’t have been much fun in the winter.

So I take it Iceland have started following suit… A good system to me that works for both parties is the type you find in places like makro, cash+carries etc. It’s some sort of mechanism on the ground that moves forward & locks the rearmost trailer axle so it’s impossible to drive off I have no idea what it’s called as they are few places that use them, these places coincidentally are the best places to tip :smiley:

Tarrman:

Pimpdaddy:
+1^^^

Ok so I’m a wannabe driver but just having a nosey through the forum. The no cab sit thing is silly but its derived from cases where drivers have pulled off the bay when its on red. This happened to my mate on goods in at my work (Iceland RDC), the PPT Truck was half on the ramp and half on the trailer when the driver for some reason pulled off on a red resulting in a big mess. These PPT trucks weigh about 2 tons, not what you want on top of you.

Now before you mention handing in keys etc, I know and I fully agreee with you, it shouldn’t stop drivers sitting in their cabs (really why should it?), but thats another story!

Hopefully one day it will be me complaining that I cant sit in my cab!

Anyway, enough of my random rant, back on topic…

Yes but there must be other ways of stopping a truck moving from a bay until finished. one place I went there were things that grabbed the trailer wheels.
But this isn’t the only reason I really don’t like RDC tips.
I prefer to be treated like a human being, not some inconvenience to somebodys easy life. I find many RDC operative don’t seem to get that a major part of their job is unloading and loading trucks. If that a problem for them then they might be in the wrong job.
I like to be kept informed if and why there is a delay in tipping so I can communicate with my boss or planner, so plans can be made.
And whilst I believe a work place should be as safe as possible, some of the H&S rules and regs they have are more to do with job creation than keeping me safe.

Fortunately I haven’t had to go to a RDC for 2 years now, and don’t miss them one bit :laughing:

Abbatoir and carcas recovery,bring a clothes peg,a dead cow sat for a week will blow up with gasses inside the body,i have seen them explode,you can imagine what comes out.
Livestock,again,a patient driver for this,you can chase a pig for hours,if it decides not to go to the death camp with its buddies,cows can charge you,if they have a calf nearby,they get mean and nasty.

it has it’s advantages aswell though, the smell that eminates in a checksite means you aint gonna be kept too long lol.

billybigrig:
Got to be either tipper driver or quarry shovel operator judging by posts on here :grimacing:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Money’s good for a day job just down the road :sunglasses:

Pimpdaddy:
So I take it Iceland have started following suit… A good system to me that works for both parties is the type you find in places like makro, cash+carries etc. It’s some sort of mechanism on the ground that moves forward & locks the rearmost trailer axle so it’s impossible to drive off I have no idea what it’s called as they are few places that use them, these places coincidentally are the best places to tip :smiley:

I loaded at a place in St Ives on Thursday - they had signs up everywhere about handing in keys before being loaded, about wheel locks for trailers etc, etc. When I backed onto the bay, the locking arm slid up in front of the rearmost trailer wheel and locked it in place. I walked off to hand my keys into the loadie, who just laughed and said ‘don’t worry mate, you won’t be going anywhere with that on - do whatever you likewhilst you’re waiting.’ I went back to the cab, stuck it on break, and laid on the bunk. 5 minutes later there was a knock on the door, telling me i was loaded (14 pallets), and here was my paperwork and I could go when I was ready!

I asked if I could stay for another 10 minutes, and was told I could stay as long as I wanted, and if I fancied a coffee, go and see the girls in the office and they’d make me one - I did and they did! What a fantastic place to load, the staff were happy, I was happy, the boss was happy - maybe the RDCs should pop along here and see how it can be done?

Gary

scaniason:

Pimpdaddy:

I loaded at a place in St Ives on Thursday - they had signs up everywhere about handing in keys before being loaded, about wheel locks for trailers etc, etc. When I backed onto the bay, the locking arm slid up in front of the rearmost trailer wheel and locked it in place. I walked off to hand my keys into the loadie, who just laughed and said ‘don’t worry mate, you won’t be going anywhere with that on - do whatever you likewhilst you’re waiting.’ I went back to the cab, stuck it on break, and laid on the bunk. 5 minutes later there was a knock on the door, telling me i was loaded (14 pallets), and here was my paperwork and I could go when I was ready!

I asked if I could stay for another 10 minutes, and was told I could stay as long as I wanted, and if I fancied a coffee, go and see the girls in the office and they’d make me one - I did and they did! What a fantastic place to load, the staff were happy, I was happy, the boss was happy - maybe the RDCs should pop along here and see how it can be done?

Gary

and as you drove out of the gate you looked back and saw the sign,
“Welcome to Carlsberg, Probably the best RDC in the World” :laughing:

That’s what I’m talking about drive, that’s what the job should be. Carlsberg also is not a bad place to load or tip, always been sound with me…