Worst jobs in haulage

Washing off for test.

" I find many RDC operative don’t seem to get that a major part of their job is unloading and loading trucks. If that a problem for them then they might be in the wrong job. "

Where I work you have obviously the chill, frozen and grocery/ambient. In each department there are 2 goods in guys unloading the trailers. Anymore and it would create a backlog (floor space would fill up and grind to a halt), the forkies wouldn’t be able to keep up. Normally there can be a few trailers waiting to be tipped, just a case of too many in at one time hence a possible 3 hours wait (takes about an hour to run the pallets off and check them in on a full trailer). Usually the guys are on a bonus too so they don’t normally hang about.

I guess because I work at an RDC (hopefully not for much longer) that’s why I’m backing them up. Some people can be quick to judge a truck driver taking ages to manoeuvre/taking up 2 lanes, it works the other way too from driver to _________ (fill as appropriate).

However, manners cost nothing, it’s a shame a lot of people don’t use them, especially the person facing the driver/customer etc etc.

Oh and I dont mean to sound like I’m nagging or owt and I hope this hasn’t come across the wrong way, brush and tar and all that :slight_smile:

scotstrucker:

Abbatoir and carcas recovery,bring a clothes peg,a dead cow sat for a week will blow up with gasses inside the body,i have seen them explode,you can imagine what comes out.
Livestock,again,a patient driver for this,you can chase a pig for hours,if it decides not to go to the death camp with its buddies,cows can charge you,if they have a calf nearby,they get mean and nasty.

it has it’s advantages aswell though, the smell that eminates in a checksite means you aint gonna be kept too long lol.

I know what you mean about the smell of dead animals. A mate of mine worked with a guy from Maybole pulling carcasses from abatoirs around Scotland to Forrests of Clelland. Even inside his cab stunk of rotting animals. Not a job I’d like to do.

damoq:

scotstrucker:

Abbatoir and carcas recovery,bring a clothes peg,a dead cow sat for a week will blow up with gasses inside the body,i have seen them explode,you can imagine what comes out.
Livestock,again,a patient driver for this,you can chase a pig for hours,if it decides not to go to the death camp with its buddies,cows can charge you,if they have a calf nearby,they get mean and nasty.

it has it’s advantages aswell though, the smell that eminates in a checksite means you aint gonna be kept too long lol.

I know what you mean about the smell of dead animals. A mate of mine worked with a guy from Maybole pulling carcasses from abatoirs around Scotland to Forrests of Clelland. Even inside his cab stunk of rotting animals. Not a job I’d like to do.

On the plus side bet he never got stopped by VOSA lol

Tarrman:
" I find many RDC operative don’t seem to get that a major part of their job is unloading and loading trucks. If that a problem for them then they might be in the wrong job. "

Where I work you have obviously the chill, frozen and grocery/ambient. In each department there are 2 goods in guys unloading the trailers. Anymore and it would create a backlog (floor space would fill up and grind to a halt), the forkies wouldn’t be able to keep up. Normally there can be a few trailers waiting to be tipped, just a case of too many in at one time hence a possible 3 hours wait (takes about an hour to run the pallets off and check them in on a full trailer). Usually the guys are on a bonus too so they don’t normally hang about.

I guess because I work at an RDC (hopefully not for much longer) that’s why I’m backing them up. Some people can be quick to judge a truck driver taking ages to manoeuvre/taking up 2 lanes, it works the other way too from driver to _________ (fill as appropriate).

However, manners cost nothing, it’s a shame a lot of people don’t use them, especially the person facing the driver/customer etc etc.

Oh and I dont mean to sound like I’m nagging or owt and I hope this hasn’t come across the wrong way, brush and tar and all that :slight_smile:

Of course if more companies had to pay demurrage then they’d sort out their goods in procedure, so there were less delays.

But I do accept that things inside a goods in don’t always run to plan, but if you know there is going to be a delay then tell me. I’m a really easy going person, but I hate it when I’ve no idea what’s going on.

Yeah I know what you mean, it doesn’t take much for a goods in clerk to say, right there’s a bit of a delay, maybe 2 hours, come back in an hour and see where we’re up to.

Like BT once said, it’s good to talk.

The way they do it at my place is to take the drivers phone number and ring em when they’ve been tipped, but i suppose even that can leave you wondering.

Fallmonk:

damoq:

scotstrucker:

On the plus side bet he never got stopped by VOSA lol

Probably not. But if he did, he never had to worry about his tachos. He was exempt due to the nature of the load and used log books instead.

muckles:

scaniason:

Pimpdaddy:
So I take it Iceland have started following suit… A good system to me that works for both parties is the type you find in places like makro, cash+carries etc. It’s some sort of mechanism on the ground that moves forward & locks the rearmost trailer axle so it’s impossible to drive off I have no idea what it’s called as they are few places that use them, these places coincidentally are the best places to tip :smiley:

I loaded at a place in St Ives on Thursday - they had signs up everywhere about handing in keys before being loaded, about wheel locks for trailers etc, etc. When I backed onto the bay, the locking arm slid up in front of the rearmost trailer wheel and locked it in place. I walked off to hand my keys into the loadie, who just laughed and said ‘don’t worry mate, you won’t be going anywhere with that on - do whatever you likewhilst you’re waiting.’ I went back to the cab, stuck it on break, and laid on the bunk. 5 minutes later there was a knock on the door, telling me i was loaded (14 pallets), and here was my paperwork and I could go when I was ready!

I asked if I could stay for another 10 minutes, and was told I could stay as long as I wanted, and if I fancied a coffee, go and see the girls in the office and they’d make me one - I did and they did! What a fantastic place to load, the staff were happy, I was happy, the boss was happy - maybe the RDCs should pop along here and see how it can be done?

Gary

and as you drove out of the gate you looked back and saw the sign,
“Welcome to Carlsberg, Probably the best RDC in the World” :laughing:

ROFL - As I was typing it, that was exactly what was going through my mind!

Gary

I’ve done sludge with an artic vac tank, it isn’t all that bad to be honest. I’d imagine fish, blood and bone would be a different story though. No, working for a water board is a pretty tisy number. Should have stayed there for the remuneration package but I fell for a light bar and shiny wheels…

I like any job where I’m doing the loading or at least helping. Steering wheel attendant is not what I want to he. I did a bit on containers… Boring. Totally boring.

muckles:

scaniason:

Pimpdaddy:
and as you drove out of the gate you looked back and saw the sign,
“Welcome to Carlsberg, Probably the best RDC in the World” :laughing:

not at SWAN VALLEY though! :grimacing: eddie stobRat worst job in haulage! :grimacing: :grimacing: :unamused: :unamused: :open_mouth:

The worst one for me has to be the ones collecting dead animals from farms and so on.

The worst job has gotta be delivery plates to a town just far enough away so any friends can’t pick you up…

You only get paid whilst you’re driving the vehicle being delivered, so you’’ be paid about an hour a day, with the other 14 hours ■■■■■■■ about on a kerbside trying to thumb a lift from everyone else who wouldn’t ■■■■ on you if you were on fire! :imp:

15 hours away from home for a meaty £6.50?

Go stick it where the sun don’t shine - sunshine! :smiling_imp:

Palmer and Harveys, lugging heavy cages to corner shops and unloading them without any help, having to check everything off on a list all while the shop owner stands around giving snide remarks or trying to pull a fast one by hiding goods while your backs turned, never again :imp:

Grayham:
Palmer and Harveys, lugging heavy cages to corner shops and unloading them without any help, having to check everything off on a list all while the shop owner stands around giving snide remarks or trying to pull a fast one by hiding goods while your backs turned, never again :imp:

Loading out of , you’ve really gotta watch that the black wrap is intact, 1 box of sweets missing and that pallet is effectively delivered for free, maybe that’s why they’ve lost that particular contract.

I’ve noticed garage staff enjoy watching not just P&H but at Tesco Express and BP their staff are bone idle.

Grayham:
Palmer and Harveys, lugging heavy cages to corner shops and unloading them without any help, having to check everything off on a list all while the shop owner stands around giving snide remarks never again :imp:

Sounds exactly like tesco to me…

Is systemic dishonesty by small shop owners really that much of a problem?

You make it sounds like you’re deliverying to a brudder camp rather than the local corner shop! :open_mouth:

What would be the point of organising a bit of shrinkage from a tescos dolly/cage?
Unless it were a very much targeted one (eg. need some haagen daaz for the canteen knocked off as a “breakage”) then the whole load would end up being rejected, which draws yet more attention to the attempted theft?

Only a surplus cage and a sharp doorman ( :neutral_face: ) would be able to make that particular cage disappear, or the depot finding out a cage went missing on that particular wagon… I’d say that security is tight enough for driver-doorman cahoots operations like that not to occur? :confused:

Winseer:
Is systemic dishonesty by small shop owners really that much of a problem?

YES, when I delivered plumbing products, there were some shops that would blatantly pull parts out of boxes and give them back to you as incomplete/open (usually showers). The other problem was returning boilers, they’d order off a competitor at a lower price (~£10) but because we could do next day they’d order off us too, when the competitors boiler arrived they’d return that to us as unwanted and without restocking charges, I’ve had a couple of standoffs when the competitors despatch label was still intact :laughing: .

Delivering to Sainsburys rdc in Stoke.

4 hours for six pallets, spot on booking in time
Comfy metal chairs…
dont do this, dont do that, dont leave this cell sorry, waiting room.
Don’t speak to the staff, don’t ask why it takes so long…
etc,
I hate this place, it is the epitome of inefficiency.

The worst job in haulage without any shred of a doubt ? …

Derlivering butchers byproducts… It used to be the name ‘Chettles’ meant keep half a mile away and that was from the driver :laughing: