worse load

whats the worsed load you have had to carry

three germans from Manchester airport and back again (ive been chauffeuring ) they shouted down their phones , (yep all at the same time ) all the way here and all the way back the following day . :frowning: oh and it was in german so I couldn’t eavesdrop :frowning:

Sheepskins, straight of the sheep from an abattoir in N Wales to a tannery on a 40’ flat. Had to pressure wash trailer and sheets about 4 times to get rid of blood and snot. Oh had to chuck all my work gear away couldn’t get rid of the smell.
Bob :neutral_face:

Bloody chicken feathers from Holland to Dawnland bedding in Liverpool. I refused to get in the tilt but I had to sweep it out after and put all the boards back. I was bitten to hell by bloody fleas.

at this moment in time my bloody 44 inch beer gut :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: , fredm

Cow hides for sure, picked up a tilt in dover and delivered it to a tannery in chesterfield middle of june, what a smell and covered in flies, did about four loads as I recall.

In the early 60s, once every three months or so used to do bundles of raw sheep skins from a wharf off the Highway, over Tower bridge into a Tanners market in Bermondsey, two or three loads a day on open backed tippers, piled well high, some still with their feet on covered in fat, blood, salt and fly’s, stinking to high heaven not to bad in the winter but in the summer we had the road to our self. Who ever had the last load of the day, on his way back had to drop into the local cop shop and pick up the bundles that had bounced of the loads during the day and that the police had reluctantly picked up for us, a fiver in the poor box normally kept them happy. Dropping into a pub straight from work guaranteed a table to your self.
Happy days.

Ossie

chrisv:
Cow hides for sure, picked up a tilt in dover and delivered it to a tannery in chesterfield middle of june, what a smell and covered in flies, did about four loads as I recall.

Aye, cattle skins, imported into Liverpool from Sth America. They were folded and in plastic bags, (this was before containers). and they were fordelivery to a leather factory in Leeds. Now to get them off the ship the docker put them on stillages, lifted em off with the crane, and dumped them on the trailer, I had to get them off the stillages AND TRY to stack them. THAT was the worst job ever. I still remember it and it was 50 years ago. I’m here to tell you that trying to stack cow skins in plastic bags on an artic trailer is just about impossible, especially when you have a gang of “hard working” :unamused: dockers stood watching you, smoking and taking the ■■■■ out of a young fella. :imp:

Mid 80’s, fishmeal loaded on to a flat - handballed off and by the end of it I couldn’t smell a thing but I never managed to get the whiff out of the seat after that, even after multiple cleaning it never quite went away, I must have spent about an hour in the shower trying to get the smell off me, all clothes gone, boots too … ahhh the good old days … :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

in the 70s use to haul pig hair in plastic bags from abbatiors to harris brush company nr bromsgrove all handball.Smell from that use to get into your skin,use to wash the lorry off with a fire hose as soon as you tipped and yourself still couldn t shift it.Then when you dropped a livestock box on well loading up the ramp was a challenge cos as soon as they went in theyed wanna come back out oh yeah the good old days :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

brados:
Mid 80’s, fishmeal loaded on to a flat - handballed off and by the end of it I couldn’t smell a thing but I never managed to get the whiff out of the seat after that, even after multiple cleaning it never quite went away, I must have spent about an hour in the shower trying to get the smell off me, all clothes gone, boots too … ahhh the good old days … :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

+1,loaded out of l/pool docks,load y/self
dockers lazy b—tards no help,stunk to high heaven.
regards dave.

Raw cow hides from Exeter in a bulk tipper on the hottest day of the summer. Delivered to Nottingham the next day where they wanted me to pull them to the rear of the trailer one at a time. I had the body up before their manager managed to get my boss to answer the phone!

8 X 4 reinforce sheets of mesh for building sites. Almost impossible to load on my own, also 8 x 4 sheets x2 of plasterboard, not just the weight, but the awkwardness of them. Did manage to shift both lots at different times. No fork lifts or grabs around in those days.
Cheers Dave.

BONE and FISHMEAL out of Hull docks :cry: also cows heads,hoofs and all the bad bits in between :cry: In a bulk tipper out of Sawley (Dunbia meats) they went to Slingers meats at Great Harwood. Used to back up to the intake screw, go up about 1/2 a ram and run :angry: blood ,snot all over the place, depending on how long the trailer had been standing at Sawley it either came out like a big jelly or in bits and bobs. Wash out body then load dust out Arcow. :smiley:

Beasts hides from Stonehaven down to Scullcotes Tannery Hull This was 1959ish, Loaded by hand The Jocks refered to them as Kips IIRC, There was maggots crawling out of them, It was a good enough tip at Hull though & they had a hot water hose to wash the wagon off & get rid of the maggots & the awfull bloody smell, Happy Days , Regards Larry.

Bones from Greenock to the boneyard at Walker. Handballed on in hessian bags from a chute. Only ever did it once,this was about 1974. The sheets walked off the trailer on there own when I loosened the ties. They were lifting with maggots :open_mouth: :open_mouth: I refused to go back there the next time I tipped sisal at Greenock. The refusal didn’t go down well with the traffic office, I later found out everyone who had done the job once never went back. I burned my clothes. The stink!!! Yuk. The not so good face of the good old days Larry. I remember Ken Lancaster was not a happy bunny with all the refusals to go for another load. The sheets had to steam cleaned to kill the wildlife. Regards Kevmac47.

I’ve done a few filthy jobs, but handling maggot-infested animal entrails is vile. I would have told the boss to show me how to do it, then to shove the job up his chuff.

Does this sort of thing still go on? Surely the HSE must have some influence over issues of hygiene/disease? There must be some mechanical handling method nowadays- is there?

Foot and mouth dead stock to the tip at Dimmer

Was on an offal carrier for a few years, open split tipper, sheet by hand if daylight, that took some practice, good job though well paid short hours… but Billy No Mates… :smiling_imp:

You could do whatever speed you wanted and weight limits no problem, soon as a copper got a whiff they soon vanished, DOT the same.

when i was working in a garage in the early ninety’s i had to change out the gasket that was sealing the tail gate closed on a bulk tipping trailer that was used to haul the fish guts out of Lowestoft docks, it stank to high heaven!. The guy that came to collect it said he didn’t bother sheeting it one day and he got stuck on Lowestoft bridge in heavy traffic and the gulls descended, peoples motors got covered in fish guts and gull ■■■!. For those of you in Suffolk you may remember the unit it was navy blue K100!