worse load

Tipper Tom:
Foot and mouth dead stock to the tip at Dimmer

Remember seeing them burning the carcasses next to the A12 near Kessingland, it smelt of bbq meat for a 10 mile radius!

I did offal for a while, mostly BSE cattle and doing the last trailer from the kill plant every day meant that mine was full of the snot after clean up as well as the regular load of guts and lungs, it used to pong a bit :laughing:

Running on a log book was nice as it allowed a blown limiter fuse and a big V8 under the cab made job and knock a really good deal :sunglasses:

When shifting the stuff from a new abbatoir we only had to deal with a constabulary once, as soon as they got a whiff of the load we never had any bother from them again :laughing:

I thought I’d had a hard time of it delivering the bits of a cow they can’t even make into cheap beefburgers to the dogfood factory at Crick. That wasn’t nice but it was a walk in the park compared to some of these stories. :open_mouth:

The cow is fragrant compared to the swine, we used to do pig offal that sat under an auger and had started being loaded on Monday, by Friday it was hanging and had a couple of inches of maggots on top :open_mouth:

I used to do skins out of place near the top of the M11 some where on the west side of Cambridge, usually for Salerno or Napoli. They weren’t that bad as they were shrink wrapped on pallets, but there was a bit of odder on the summer runs.

The worst job I ever did was bags of onions roped and sheeted on a flat, it was only a 20 mile delivery but it took the best part of a long Saturday to do the job, and I think I got 50 quid for the whole job. The farm workers were chucking them on any old how, and it was hard enough to stand on top of the load to sheet the it with out them rolling out the bottom. When I got going I wasn’t even out of sight of the farm before they were hanging in the sheet under the trailer. At one point there were so many of them hanging that the sheet was actually touching the tires. When I got back the agent said he thought I had a tautliner other wise he wouldn’t have sent me.
Young and daft though.

Jeff…

newmercman:
I did offal for a while, mostly BSE cattle and doing the last trailer from the kill plant every day meant that mine was full of the snot after clean up as well as the regular load of guts and lungs, it used to pong a bit :laughing:

Running on a log book was nice as it allowed a blown limiter fuse and a big V8 under the cab made job and knock a really good deal :sunglasses:

When shifting the stuff from a new abbatoir we only had to deal with a constabulary once, as soon as they got a whiff of the load we never had any bother from them again :laughing:

Not my load but it was disgusting anyway.
I worked as a fitter at Stannards in Essex, offal, waste meats etc… they used to process it all into bone meal and other ■■■■■■ f%£? me…it stank. And I had the pleasure of servicing the trucks and trailers !! I remember one day in the " hole" where all the carcasses and stuff were offloaded into bays, one of the blokes was standing inside a horse carcass eating a meat pie…cutting it up into pieces. Proper strange character !! one eye…looked a bit like Quasimodo, he was right at home.

My worst load must have been salted skins to Istanbul. When I got there I sat for a week waiting to clear. No one would park near me and when I was finally tipped you can imagine what the trailer was like inside !! it was one of Roy Bradfords old tandems, only good thing about it was the 2000Ltr belly tank. Cant remember wher I re-loaded, most likey furniture out of Rumo.
GS

If you want stinky here goes; not a load or anything, but;;;
My mate went away for a weeks fishing, a few summers back, he was supposed to go with another mate,but wifley things got in the way. First hour into the fishing he pulled out a 2 foot brown trout. To get on his mates case he went to the post office stuck it in a padded bag and over nighted it to him.
The next day was the start of a 2 week postal strike.
$500 fine for both of them.

Jeff…

Delivering fuel oil to British Glue at Wigan, ye gods, eventually I couldn’t cope with that and refused to go, we were a closed shop union set up in those days, all the lads decided to follow my lead and our company got rid (somehow) of the contract.

One of our loads of hanging beef was rejected by the vet at Ventimiglia as his fridge had lost its gas and the back few quarters were smelly. Our ATM found a factory that produced Wurst in Germany so instructed the driver to head up to Strasbourg whilst he sorted the paperwork. No chance.
The driver (Tony Valori RIP) then went back to Menton. The certificate of origin was out of date and you could smell the load from 50 yards. I arrived in my car and then picked my father up at Nice airport and the load was condemned. We had a hole dug in a field, heaved the beef into it, and torched the lot. Jim

Juddian:
Was on an offal carrier for a few years, open split tipper, sheet by hand if daylight, that took some practice, good job though well paid short hours… but Billy No Mates… :smiling_imp:

You could do whatever speed you wanted and weight limits no problem, soon as a copper got a whiff they soon vanished, DOT the same.

my uncle worked out of chettles ditchford as well, keith bull, on one of the DAF skip loaders , and it used to be that, where i live, if the wind was in one direction i got chettles another it would be weetabix.
when i left school i worked for haulier in wellingborough , speciality, seemed to be anything that was ex animal, crushed bone, dried bone, fleshings (animal flesh in a kind of briny soup stuff) leather scrap out the shoe factories, and something that delighted in the name of scutch , which looked like 20 tonne of sick in a bulker. changing a rear spring on a bulker with the liquid stuff oozing out the rear door and down your neck wasn’t too pleasant.Had a seddon brake hard in wollaston one afternoon and he shot a load of fleshings over the front of the bulker and over the back of the tractor unit and the road, well it closed the road alright. and i went with a driver with a load of scutch to croda mkt harboro, oh what an eye opener, pile of heads here, awful smelly, dont ask stuff there, i was rather glad me dad oiked me out after about a year.

never carried any of that stuff myself , but delivered several loads of building blocks to an abattoir extension near beeston cheshire . raw skins chucked in heaps , heads , hooves and guts in open bunkers and a cow’s head without skin but with the eyes still in nailed over the door . the smell was vile and we had to wear masks to ward the flies off . before we got in the cab we cleaned each other’s backs off and then drove for miles with all the windows open .i believe h&s closed it down later .

My brother (now retired VOSA man) did his apprenticeship at S&R Rothwell, he was worse than me with the smelly loads, he used to be physically sick, well S&R had motors on the tallow job for Wyatts in Leeds, when a cargo pump job came into the workshop the older fitters would yell…“DAVID, another pump for you to do” The poor lad struggled.

The mill we used to tip in was a mecca for wild cats, they used to live on the droppings of bone meal from the overhead conveyor. they also used to scamper through the airlock into the tipping shed and climb into the hopper full of snot and eat the meat off the bones, there was one bloke there that looked like a shower curtain he had that many piercings in his eyebrows, if any of the cats were in the hopper before they started cooking he would leap in and wade through the guts and shoo the cats away, the bins were about 20’ deep, but as they were filled with a solid of sorts he only used to sink to the waist :open_mouth:

I’ve had a face full of dead creature snot more times than I would’ve liked ( which would be none :laughing: ) when opening the twistlocks on the sides (always do the bottom ones first just in case) and a jet of snot has spouted out and got me straight in the moosh :cry:

Before I came to Western Australia, the worst load I ever carried was carbon black from Avonmouth. But the worst load of all that I carried were dead kangaroos from Gascoyne Junction and Carnarvon to pet food manufacturers in Perth. In the 60s, roo shooters used to go out at night on the sheep and cattle stations in the Gascoyne area and shoot roos using a spotlight to confuse them. When they were killed, their abo offsiders used to clean and gut them, cutting off their legs and fore paws. If it was a male roo, they always used to leave the scrotum attached. This was to enable you to grab a carcase by the fore paws with one hand and grab the scrotum between the second and third finger of the other hand to make it easy to throw them up on the truck. When you threw them up, all the blood and crap used to run down the rear and drop into the front of your shirt. Then all you had to do was drive the 600 miles in an old Fodenat about 38 mph to Perth stinking like a bloody pole cat. If it was summer, the number of blow flies attracted to the blood and guts probably weighed more than the load. As well as the dead roos, there were dead donkeys and emus on board.

I didn’t really mind the carbon black from Avonmouth, but I always insisted in washing the lorry when I got home. Luckily, we used to load the stuff in the late afternoon so it was the last job of the day.

I delivered there as well, It was part of the Croda group and I had crushed animal bones in a 30 bulk container, The blokes there warned me to stay away from the stuff for fear of anthrax.
Cliff

grumpy old man:
Delivering fuel oil to British Glue at Wigan, ye gods, eventually I couldn’t cope with that and refused to go, we were a closed shop union set up in those days, all the lads decided to follow my lead and our company got rid (somehow) of the contract.

Closed shop union set up ! i am glad those days are over !

LB76:
Closed shop union set up ! i am glad those days are over !

Yet another subject for Bewick to get his (false) teeth into! :wink:

Carlc:
I delivered there as well, It was part of the Croda group and I had crushed animal bones in a 30 bulk container, The blokes there warned me to stay away from the stuff for fear of anthrax.
Cliff

grumpy old man:

Speaking of Croda, I used to load Pigs Feet from Croda at Cochranes Wharf Middlesboro & deliver it to a place near Luton on the A 6, It was a load & go job because if left in the tipper to long it would solidify, This was the 70s era, Tip load Slag at Corby & back home, The slag killed a bit of the smell of course, Regards Larry.

Used to look after a fleet of trucks for W.Brazendale & sons in Blackburn,they were bone merchants who rendered butchers waste to make tallow for soap and what was left was called greaves which went for bonemeal.the trucks although spotlessly clean stunck to high hell,you would be under the chassis and maggots would drop down your neck and after a shift working on a truck you went home stinking to high hell.one good thing the firm always paid top bucks and on the dot.