Working upto 15 hours

Hi all

Just wondering how many of you work over the 13 hour mark regularly? After starting Class 1 work back in November with a general haulage firm and enjoying it for the most part… I’ve just one gripe that is working 15 hour shifts which I really dislike doing because after 13 hours I’ve really had enough due to being tired and just wanting to get back home or stop for the night in the truck if needs be.

Are any of you working a guaranteed 12 hours or less? I’ve heard some firms don’t work their drivers more than 12 hours… or is that just a rumour?

Depends on the work - I did chilled to RDCs and regularly did fifteens. Spent much of it on the bunk though. Recently I have been doing general multidrop and average ten.

I read on here that many Supermarket trolly drivers just do eights.

SubFocus:
Hi all

Just wondering how many of you work over the 13 hour mark regularly? After starting Class 1 work back in November with a general haulage firm and enjoying it for the most part… I’ve just one gripe that is working 15 hour shifts which I really dislike doing because after 13 hours I’ve really had enough due to being tired and just wanting to get back home or stop for the night in the truck if needs be.

Are any of you working a guaranteed 12 hours or less? I’ve heard some firms don’t work their drivers more than 12 hours… or is that just a rumour?

There are plenty of jobs that don’t require you to ever do more than 13 hours a shift but I doubt many of those jobs are in general haulage, long shifts are often part of the job and you must have known that before starting the job.

Anyway unless you’re having long rest periods during the day you can only legally be doing shifts of over 13 hours three times between weekly rest periods.

Now if you want to hear a gripe, I recently refused to continue doing a job because the firm paid 11 hour shifts and I was regularly doing anything up-to 15 hours :open_mouth:

I tried the job for 3 weeks and decided that the long shifts was way out of proportion to the short shifts and likely to stay that way so I quit, I bet you at-least get paid for the hours you do :wink:

I’m guaranteed 10 hrs per day but generally only work 9-9.5 hrs. Paid for my 45 break too. Downside is that its multi-drop on pallet network deliveries.

Like you I do general haulage and regularly work maximum hours - its just part of the work we do

i am out tramping all week and do my 3x15 every week, its just part of the job, loads have to be done so you just get on and do it. but i knew that it was going to be like that when i took the job on. and having done tramping for too many years its just a way of life :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

It has always been one of the attractions of lorry driving, long solitary hours without a supervisor on your back, sadly it was partly spoiled in the early 80’s with mobile phones and Euteltrac.

But on the bright side, it isn’t a difficult job with 9 or10 of those hours sat in an air suspended heated seat.

I would prefer a full day rather than parking up after 8 or 9 hours and twiddling my ■■■■■■■■ :stuck_out_tongue:

When tramping, I’d rather get ALL the hours in, why get paid 20 quid or whatever parked up for 12 hrs + when you can get paid your 8 quid an hour or whatever for 15hrs, then have 9hrs off (20 quid) and so on, at least then at the end of the week, you’ll have a decent whack for being away all week, rather than a normal wage with a few night out monies.

When home though, don’t mind doing 15hrs, but require at least 10hrs off between shifts.

waynedl:
When tramping, I’d rather get ALL the hours in, why get paid 20 quid or whatever parked up for 12 hrs + when you can get paid your 8 quid an hour or whatever for 15hrs, then have 9hrs off (20 quid) and so on, at least then at the end of the week, you’ll have a decent whack for being away all week, rather than a normal wage with a few night out monies.

When home though, don’t mind doing 15hrs, but require at least 10hrs off between shifts.

whats the point of pubs opening 24 hrs a day if your going to work for 15 of em, your just being selfish in my opinion, its no wonder a lot of pobs are boarded up. incidently does anyone agree that 24 hr drinking is not enough time :question:

at a place i work,they get £500 quid for 48 hours.when i worked for a general haulage firm the shifts were 12 hours min.if your tramping then you might as well max the hours,but if you`re day running,then 10 hours is plenty

I’m a bulk tipper driver and most weeks i’ll do three 15’s.

xfmatt:
I’m a bulk tipper driver and most weeks i’ll do three 15’s.

Me to and if i get half a chance make the other 2 days a 15 as well :laughing: :laughing:

wildfire:
i am out tramping all week and do my 3x15 every week, its just part of the job, loads have to be done so you just get on and do it. but i knew that it was going to be like that when i took the job on. and having done tramping for too many years its just a way of life :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

It hasn,t always been like that though, and if the wage was as it ought to be you would not need to do a 15 hr day to make not a good wage but a living wage, and where is the elf & safety aspect in doing a stressful job (yeh I know :unamused: ) for 15 hrs with only 9 hours rest… not sleep, and by the time you have a shower , meal , chill, tv etc , into bunk, maybe what… 5or6 hrs sleep? , enough for some, not for others… Just because it’s legal dont mean it’s safe. Right bring on the why are you in this job then, you knew the wages ,I only need 10mins a night etc etc comments :unamused:

I’m on Airfreight/General and I regularly do maximum hours.

Santa:
Depends on the work - I did chilled to RDCs and regularly did fifteens. Spent much of it on the bunk though. Recently I have been doing general multidrop and average ten.

I read on here that many Supermarket trolly drivers just do eights.

Ahhh… A 15 hour shift with about 4 hours each way to some remote depot and 3-4 hours on the bunk waiting for a backload. My ideal shift indeed!
:grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

I’m on Airfreight/General and I regularly do maximum hours.

At least once, maybe twice a week but i normally run out of driving hours first.

With the state of the haulage industry in general, all of them have to max out the hours, to get the extra loads in, to make it pay, what with the extra payments on fuel, drivers wages etc, they have to make a living, and the only way is to work longer hours, or increase the rates, and with so much competition, they will be told where to go.
It is however illegal for a planner to plan a 15 hr day, but expect their drivers to work the hours needed to finish the job, which is always the max, 3 x 15 + 2 x 10. We are only supposed to work a max of 48, increased to 60, yet average 70/80/90, because of the way the law was written it does not include time tipping/loading, and as i have always said, install clocks, clock in, then check the actual hours on duty, that would shock a lot of officials, but we all know it will not happen.

I’m guaranteed 9.5 hours and do between 8 and 8.5. There’s a few of us who do around that mark but one does at most 6 hours with a guarantee of 8.

i usually do 15 hours or more. that way i get home for a few days instead of 1 day, or not at all.