working time

hi all
the company i work for dont use poa, so when i am unloading its marked down as other work so ,if i make a note on a piece of paper how long each drop takes does that still entitle me to 9 hours driving time, so basically it does not affect my driving time ,thanks

when your loading or unloading it IS other work !!

Driving time & working time are two seperate parts but they work together when calculating the total working day and the WTD.

Hope I said that right Coffeeholic or i’ll get shot again :wink: :laughing:

you can still drive 9 hours as long as you stay in the 15 or 13 hour day

smiggy123:
hi all
the company i work for dont use poa, so when i am unloading its marked down as other work so ,if i make a note on a piece of paper how long each drop takes does that still entitle me to 9 hours driving time, so basically it does not affect my driving time ,thanks

As already said when you’re loading/unloading it is other work and not POA.

POA is a “Period of Availability”, a period when you’re available for work but not actually working, such as waiting at a depot to unload as long as you know in advance how long you will be waiting.

Neither “Other Work”, “POA” or “Breaks” affect how much driving time you’re allowed for the day so you can still drive for 9 hours a day or 10 hours twice a week.

tachograph:
Neither “Other Work”, “POA” or “Breaks” affect how much driving time you’re allowed for the day

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: Really?

I would say they all affect how much driving time you can do in a day. Once the total of those three things exceeds 5 hours, and even more so when they exceed 6 hours, they are definitely affecting how much driving time you can do in the shift. On other days they will be having an affect when together they total more than 3 or 4 hours.

Coffeeholic:

tachograph:
Neither “Other Work”, “POA” or “Breaks” affect how much driving time you’re allowed for the day

I would say they all affect how much driving time you can do in a day. Once the total of those three things exceeds 5 hours, and even more so when they exceed 6 hours, they are definitely affecting how much driving time you can do in the shift. On other days they will be having an affect when together they total more than 3 or 4 hours.

Is that the same as what I said :question:

ROG:

Yep, both you and fozzie had it right.

smiggy123:
hi all

Coffeeholic:

tachograph:

Well clearly they affect how much time you would have left in the 24 hour period but the question seemed to be is other work deducted from driving time to which the answer is clearly no.

Neither “Other Work”, “POA” or “Breaks” affect how much driving time you’re allowed for the day as long as you’ve enough common sense and knowledge of the regulations to realise that you need to fit it into a 24 hour period along with the required breaks and rest periods, POA and other work.

tachograph:
Well clearly they affect how much time you would have left in the 24 hour period but the question seemed to be is other work deducted from driving time to which the answer is clearly no.

The people asking tacho related questions, or reading this forum, sometimes have very little knowledge of the regulations so to say POA, Other Work and Breaks have no affect on the amount of driving time available in a shift is very misleading, and as you acknowledge, not even correct.

His question seemed to be that regardless of how much time is spent on other work does he have 9 hours driving available to him for the shift, to which the answer is clearly no. He may have, but not always.

so whats a m8 of mine on about, he told me something like this if you are waiting to be unloaded , put tacho on poa but if waiting a long time put it on doing other work because at the end of the month if using too much poa it affects your hours and wage. could the experts please tell me what he,s on about and if its legal or not cheers

gothika:
so whats a m8 of mine on about, he told me something like this if you are waiting to be unloaded , put tacho on poa but if waiting a long time put it on doing other work because at the end of the month if using too much poa it affects your hours and wage. could the experts please tell me what he,s on about and if its legal or not cheers

That would only really apply if he isn’t being paid for POA. For most people, using POA - as long as they get paid for it - would mean they can earn more money because POA does not count toward the 48 hours you must average or 60 hours maximum you are allowed per week for the WTD. Booking POA can keep you within those limits.

For example.

If you started work and did 15 minutes Other work, drove for 4 hours, than spent 3 hours being unloaded, then took a 45-minute break before driving another 4 hours back to base and did 30 minutes Other Work before clocking off you would have a shift of 12.5 hours. If you record the 3 hour period while being unloaded as Other Work then you have a shift in which 11 hours and 45 minutes count toward the WTD weekly average of 48 hours, the 45 minutes of break doesn’t count. If you recorded those 3 hours as POA you will have a shift in which 8 hours and 45 minutes count toward the WTD.

To record those hours as POA you should know how long the period will be, either by being told in advance - “It’s gonna take us 3 hours to tip you driver.” Or by experience - “Every time I come here it takes them 3 hours to tip the trailer.” You could also record the 3 hours as a break, thereby removing the need for the 45-minute break after you have tipped as that wouldn’t count toward the WTD either.

Given you can work a maximum of 60 hours in a week, and if the example shift above was the first day of the week, and you have a shift of 11 hours and 45 minutes because you recorded the 3 hours as Other work you will have 48 hours and 15 minutes left to earn money in for the week. If you record the 3 hours as POA you will have 51 hours and 45 minutes available to use to earn money, and it will also help to keep you within the 48 hour average.

I will start a shift pattern tomorrow in which I will book 6 x 15 hour days this coming week, which is 90 hours and exceeds the WTD limits, however because of the amount of Break/POA I will book - 6 ferry crossings plus other breaks - I will actually have about 48 hours of driving and Other Work which will count toward the WTD but I will get paid for 85.5 hours, we don’t get paid for 1 x45-minute break each day. So you can see in that case using POA will earn me money. that’s not strictly true as I just book it all as break but I could book some of it as POA if I chose to.

Coffeeholic:

ROG:

Yep, both you and fozzie had it right.

Blimey :exclamation: :exclamation: No bulletts this time :laughing: :laughing:
BUT STILL LEARNING :smiley:

Coffeeholic:

gothika:

That would only really apply if he isn’t being paid for POA. For most people, using POA - as long as they get paid for it - would mean they can earn more money because POA does not count toward the 48 hours you must average or 60 hours maximum you are allowed per week for the WTD. Booking POA can keep you within those limits.

For example.

If you started work and did 15 minutes Other work, drove for 4 hours, than spent 3 hours being unloaded, then took a 45-minute break before driving another 4 hours back to base and did 30 minutes Other Work before clocking off you would have a shift of 12.5 hours. If you record the 3 hour period while being unloaded as Other Work then you have a shift in which 11 hours and 45 minutes count toward the WTD weekly average of 48 hours, the 45 minutes of break doesn’t count. If you recorded those 3 hours as POA you will have a shift in which 8 hours and 45 minutes count toward the WTD.

To record those hours as POA you should know how long the period will be, either by being told in advance - “It’s gonna take us 3 hours to tip you driver.” Or by experience - “Every time I come here it takes them 3 hours to tip the trailer.” You could also record the 3 hours as a break, thereby removing the need for the 45-minute break after you have tipped as that wouldn’t count toward the WTD either.

Given you can work a maximum of 60 hours in a week, and if the example shift above was the first day of the week, and you have a shift of 11 hours and 45 minutes because you recorded the 3 hours as Other work you will have 48 hours and 15 minutes left to earn money in for the week. If you record the 3 hours as POA you will have 51 hours and 45 minutes available to use to earn money, and it will also help to keep you within the 48 hour average.

I will start a shift pattern tomorrow in which I will book 6 x 15 hour days this coming week, which is 90 hours and exceeds the WTD limits, however because of the amount of Break/POA I will book - 6 ferry crossings plus other breaks - I will actually have about 48 hours of driving and Other Work which will count toward the WTD but I will get paid for 85.5 hours, we don’t get paid for 1 x45-minute break each day. So you can see in that case using POA will earn me money. that’s not strictly true as I just book it all as break but I could book some of it as POA if I chose to.

thanx m8, about tacho as you seem to know everything i m trying to take it all in m8, do you put tacho in on other work then 15mins say check vehicle, put on driving when you set off, then put on break for break ,put on poa waiting to be tipped , so on, then when you rest 11 or 9 hrs take it out. do you put name on from date location when leaving ect or is there a link to learn about tachos, or do they show you this in the training, as the instructor said he does,nt need one in the lorry

gothika:
do you put tacho in on other work then 15mins say check vehicle, put on driving when you set off,

I would put the chart, or the digi card, in and set the mode switch to Other work while doing vehicle checks etc. Unless it is a really old tacho there is no need to alter the mode to driving because as soon as the wheels start to turn it will record teh driving automatically, just leave the mode switch on other work while driving.

gothika:
then put on break for break ,put on poa waiting to be tipped , so on

Yes, I would alter the mode switch to record whatever activity is taking place, bed for Break, square box for POA and crossed hammers for Other work.

gothika:
then when you rest 11 or 9 hrs take it out.

Depends, generally i would take the chart or digi card out at the end of the shift but when on a night out I sometimes leave it in.

gothika:
do you put name on from date location when leaving ect

Not quite sure what you mean here. At the start of the shift you fill in your details on the chart, name, start location, date, kilometres and registration number. At the end of the shift you fill in the finishing date, even if it is the same date as you started, the finishing location and the finishing kilometres.

gothika:
or is there a link to learn about tachos,

www.TruckNetUK.com ask and ye shall be answered. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley: THIS is also worth reading if you haven’t seen it already, explains things in an easy to understand manner with plenty of diagrams.

gothika:
or do they show you this in the training

I don’t believe they do.

cheers m8 thanx very much

gothika:
cheers m8 thanx very much

You have much to learn at the knee of the master, Grasshopper :open_mouth: :laughing:

Another point is, this site is free to use, so you can type words out fully.
We don’t charge you any more for this service. :smiley:

Updated GV262 (VOSA Tachograph and Drivers Hours Guide) is now available by clicking: HERE

Seems they’ve changed their site around!

The full list of Drivers Hours and Tacho rules is available on this page: CLICK

Alex

Hi,
If I’m actually sitting in the cab being unloaded/loaded, but the keys are in the office, is this classed as other work or can I put it down as POA, as all I’m doing is reading the paper. I am going to the same place three times a week, so I know this procedure always takes 1.5 hours.

FloridaErn:
Hi,
If I’m actually sitting in the cab being unloaded/loaded, but the keys are in the office, is this classed as other work or can I put it down as POA, as all I’m doing is reading the paper. I am going to the same place three times a week, so I know this procedure always takes 1.5 hours.

If you know in advance how long you’re going to be there and you’re not actually working you can use POA if you wish

The fact that your keys have been handed in isn’t really important the relevant information is that you’re not doing any work, you know in advance how long you will be waiting and you’re free to relax but available to resume work when required.

As you’re not doing any work and are able to spend the time to recuperate you could put the tachograph on break, POA or other work, it’s really a matter of what suits you best :wink:

HTH.